Thread: Chronicling the Changes page

NewGrayMare is offline Member

Red face Chronicling the Changes

Primal Fuel
    Time to start my own journal! I think it will be good for me to have a place where I can keep a solid log of my Primal lifestyle changes and can get suggestions and support along the way.

Who I am

First up- the user name. Remember that old song "The Old Gray Mare?" Well, she just ain't what she used to be. And I'm here to replace her. This originally started out as a cutesie My Little Pony name for my Etsy store, but has now grown to have much more meaning. My life even a few years ago was very sad and old.

I'm a 29 year old woman who has been very happily married for five years. We have no kids, but our cat, Misty, more than makes up for it. She's as ornery as any two year old I've ever dealt with and a good deal smarter than most toddlers! As I mentioned in the previous paragraph, I do run a business on Etsy and my own website where I sell custom made items that are My Little Pony themed. Eventually, I hope to turn my business into my sole means of support.

My current weight (115) is by no means overweight for my size (5'2"), but I am extremely unfit. I have suffered from tendonitis for years, get SAD (seasonal affective disorder) in the winter, and am constantly cold, listless, and tired. I can't jog for any distance without getting out of breath or lift anything over 25 lbs.

What journal would be complete without a before picture? This is me back in June of 2012. Why on earth did I wear that top? It looks so bad >_< But, this photo best shows me as I normally stand and in proper photo posture. Maybe I should make this my desktop background just to remind me to stand up straight!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The Start of my Journey

Back in October of 2009, I started on my journey to the life I was meant to have. That is a very long story and doesn't really pertain to a Primal lifestyle. The changes that initially kicked me onto this path were spiritual. It was because of my spiritual awakening that I have learned to listen to God about what has been put in my path, even if it doesn't make sense at the time.

On November 12, I had my first dentist appointment in two years. There had been some random sensitivity to overly sweet things, like sugary centers in chocolates, but no real pain. Flossing was a habit that I started working on in August and I didn't have bloody gums anymore, so I figured I was good. Nope! Turns out I had five cavities, one on each side, top and bottom, and two on the bottom right. I was shown the x-rays of my teeth and the spots where the enamel has worn down were pointed out. The dentist was very eager to get me scheduled for fillings in January. I mentioned something from Thank Your Body that I had read on Facebook that morning about how you can heal your cavities with diet. He said that my teeth were too far gone for that and when enamel is gone, it's gone forever. I made the appointment, but decided to do more research.

After spending a week researching how our ancestors cured tooth decay, I started re-vamping my diet. I bought and have started taking Fermented Cod Liver Oil daily (yum!). Sodas had been left behind a month before, but now I was even more determined to never have one again. I went through the pantry and made a huge donation bag of anything that contained high fructose corn syrup or grains. Stuff that was opened was pitched and the rest went to a food drive. Then I started looking for recipes and stumbled onto the Primal way of life. Turns out, everything Primal is pretty much dead-on for what my Cure Tooth Decay book said!

My Goals

Now that I'm living primally, I do have some serious goals for the future.

I cancelled the January appointment to get my teeth filled. I told the dentist we would re-evaluate in May when I go in for my next cleaning. He was very doubtful there will be any change, but I'm gonna prove him wrong. When I go, I'm getting a copy of the old x-rays and the new ones just to prove the difference diet can make. I will also see another dentist before I go in May just to get a second opinion about the cavities. You never know, my dentist might want a new car and expects to get one out of my mouth.

While not fat, I am not fit. I want to get rid of the small muffin top that sugars and grains have given me. I want to be able to hike five miles and not be winded. I want to be able to lift my own weight. I want to be able to actually do a single chin up for the first time in my life.

So, that's the start of my story. I'm so excited to see where I am in six months! And I will certainly be tracking my progress here.

NewGrayMare is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Well, my parents got the Primal message! They sent me an Omaha Steaks gift box for Christmas. It may not be organic, grass-fed meat, but I really appreciate that they were so thoughtful in picking out a Christmas present. I think I'll give the chocolate lava-cake that came in the box to the neighbors, though. If it stays in my fridge, I'll be way too tempted to eat one.

We enjoyed hamburgers from the Omaha Steak box tonight. I fried them up with a little butter and some raw sheep milk cheese. I think tomorrow I'll add mushrooms to mine. it was a pretty awesome dinner when paired up with home-pickled beets, sweet potato fries, and a salad.

Good news! I had a job interview today! It's not much, just a part-time cashier job at the local health food/organic grocery. However, it's exactly what I want, so I'm very excited. The interview took an hour and the manager and I constantly went off topic to talk about our lives and pets, which I think is a very good sign. When I dropped off the application, I thought Wouldn't it be great if I got the job on the solstice? Then she called me and set up the interview for the solstice! I may hear back as early as Monday on if I got the job or not, so keep your fingers crossed that I get it

The family is coming to my house for Christmas. Guess they'll all get a taste of what Primal living is like. Or, I could just use them to clean out the box of perogies and frozen pasta that I found in the freezer while re-arranging to fit in all the meat.

If I get this job, I'm totally going to get a gym membership. It's cold and I don't want to walk outside when it's all windy and icy. Besides, it might be good to have a personal trainer who could help me figure out a good fitness plan. Do you guys have any tips on finding a Primal trainer?