Thread: High Calories, Still Losing Weight page

solanumflower is offline Junior Member

High Calories, Still Losing Weight

Primal Fuel
    Greetings. My name is Jason and I have a question. I've been following a natural, whole foods diet now for 7 years and have transitioned to paleo about a month ago. I decided to do this to continue to reach my fitness goals, which includes losing as much body fat as possible, but also to maintain and gain muscle. I also am in alignment with the ideas about the nutritional issues surrounding grains and legumes, and feel passionate about attempting to live as much like my ancestors did, in general.

I am 5'6" and 27 years old. I was a 125 lb., skinny, but toned and fit person person my entire life and yet I didn't realize until just over a year ago when I started lifting weights that at 125lbs I was not as strong, or big, as I could, or even should, be. Essentially, I feel that I have learned that in my life I have not been eating large enough portions of food, or getting enough heavy weight lifting in, to be at a weight where I am in my fullest power.

A few months after beginning weight training at the gym, I started a more intensive strength training program, and many people within this community encouraged bulking by eating an excess of calories. I did so, eating sometimes over 3,000 calories a day. I went from 125 to 160 in a few months. I got too fat, more fat than I've ever been. I wasn't healthy.

Since then, I've easliy lost all that weight by cutting calories. I haven't even been working out as much because my schedule is different. I do still work out a few times per week though, occasionally doing heavy lifting including squats and deadlifts and work a physical labor job.

I am now weighing in at 130 lbs. I know it's just a number, but I'm seeing my weight continue to drop since starting paleo EVEN THOUGH I've made it a point to eat between 2000 and 3000 calories a day.

I don't really feel like I can eat more food. That's a lot of eating and food.

I don't feel like I'm noticing muscle loss. I do feel like I'm getting more tone, and losing fat.

I like how I look, besides the fact I would like to focus more on heavy lifting to gain more muscle mass. However, I like my body where it's at. I don't want to lose more weight!

Should I release my attachment to numbers and allow my body to follow it's own natural rhythms? What is hapenning here where I'm eating more calories than I need to maintain my body weight, not really working out a tremendous amount, and still losing weight?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I would really love to stay about 130 lbs, be lean and tone, or weigh more and be lean and tone, and not become that skinny, weak 125 lb person I was.

Finally, if it helps, my daily diet is pretty practical, and basic. I eat eggs and meat, often with olives for breakfast. I have a 2000+ calorie smoothie for lunch that includes raw eggs, almonds, a can of coconut milk, berries, banana, and often times 100% cocao. For dinner I always have a big piece of meat of some kind, and vegetables. This is easily, because of the smoothie, a 3000 calorie diet. I do also fast regularly, where for example, I may skip breakfast or lunch, and make up for the loss with dinner.

Any ideas as to why I'm losing weight?
    Thanks so much!
    Jason

Annlee is offline Senior Member
    For a number of people, without changing diet, when they hit a weight their body wanted, they settled there. That fits with the homeostatic mechanisms (yes, plural) discussed by Gary Taubes in GCBC. Eat primally, and eat to hunger (real hunger). Your body will regulate itself.

Read through this thread: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread73443.html

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by solanumflower View Post
    Sometimes skinny guys have to eat their face off just to maintain. 3,000 kCal/day isn't a bulking level. For you, sounds like it's not even maintenance. Assuming you're absorbing everything, (any major digestive symptoms?), it might just be a calorie deficit.

Short answer: because you need to eat more.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by solanumflower View Post
    Hmmm, Let me see… maybe you are eating too little? Yes, definitely, eat some more food! Another option is to move less around, sit more still etc.! or a combination of more food and less moving around! Strange, that sometimes the most obvious can be the solutions to such difficult problems…

solanumflower is offline Junior Member
    Hello, thanks for the responses. No, there are no major digestive symptoms other than my digestive system is working great! Eating more is the obvious answer and makes sense. I didn't think of that because in my mind the amount of food I eat based on caloric intake seemed like it should be enough, but obviously it's not. Truth is, I don't sit around much, and I do get a lot of exercise. What I'm getting from this is that I ultimately need to lose my attachment to numbers, be more intuitive and in touch with my body and it's own inherent needs and cycles. Thanks again for pointing something so obvious out!