Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hair Loss page

bonobo is offline Junior Member

Hair Loss

Hello,
    Hair loss seems rather pandemic among low carbers. Over the years, I've heard of lots of people who claim to have had severe hair loss on low carb, even more so than they did when they were on calorie-restricting starvation diets. One lady I talked to claimed her hair never returned to its previous thickness, even years after her weight loss/diet.

Now, I know that paleo dieters are generally more lenient with carbohydrate intake. So I was curious if any paleo dieters here have had problems with hair loss since going on the paleo diet?

Sungrazer is offline Senior Member
    My hair loss occurred before I went primal, even long before I thought about any diets or lifestyle changes. I've been shaving my noggin since I was 22 years old some 20 odd years ago. What I have noticed however is that my beard is denser now than before I went primal.
    Sometimes you need to be told the truth in order to be able to see it.

My journal

I see grain people...

Exist in shadow, drifting away.

Cymro is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sungrazer View Post
    What I have noticed however is that my beard is denser now than before I went primal.
    Hmm, your testosterone dollars at work?

Sungrazer is offline Senior Member
    Maybe the primal blueprint promotes sexual markers in both men and women? Such as wide shoulders, narrow hips, strong legs, powerful jawline and brows in men. Hair on the jaw and brows would make these appear larger and more masculine. Where as on women the same markers would be hourglass figure, small chin, dense hair, ample breasts and a big butt?

Just some thoughts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seconda...characteristic
    Last edited by Sungrazer; 04-17-2010 at 06:04 AM. Reason: Added link about Secondary Sex Characteristics
    Sometimes you need to be told the truth in order to be able to see it.

My journal

I see grain people...

Exist in shadow, drifting away.

Vivian is offline Junior Member
    i lost a lot of hair since going primal, but it could be because i got a Brazilian hair treatment which was too harsh for my already not-so-thick hair like a month before going primal; my hair has stopped falling out and LOTS of little hairs are growing; also i have much more hair around my hairline than pre-primal and overall my hair is very shiny and no split ends! (ii used to have alot of split ends)...hope it grows back to its original thickness though

tooround is offline Senior Member
    My hair fell out by handfuls when I was low fatting. So badly that, at 119 lbs, I got it cut short.

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Yes, I wonder if this isn't more of a problem among those who try to do low-carb AND low-fat. I've nothing to back that up, just thinking out loud...
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    zinc is crucial... start putting coconut oil in your hair/scalp pre-wash- it thickened mine up

Timothy is offline Senior Member
    As for me, I had a bit of a bald spot coming in before I went primal. Maybe it's because I've grown my hair out so much, but that spot is no longer noticeable. My sideburns are thicker than ever before in life. Is it the higher testosterone or other hormones? Is it the improved micronutrient intake and high fat diet? Is it the cold showers and lack of shampoo? Dunno, but hair loss is no longer a concern.

PrairieProf is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Any significant weight loss (along with a range of other potential physical stressors) often causes hair loss. It's not about primal/low-carb specifically. The phenomenon is known as "telogen effluvium" and is normal and *temporary*. You can Google it and learn a lot, very reassuring.
    Last edited by PrairieProf; 04-17-2010 at 09:48 AM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast