Thread: Coconut Water/Cream/Milk page

Earthy Mama is offline Senior Member

Coconut Water/Cream/Milk

Shop Now
    I'm not new to coconut oil, I've used it for the majority of this entire year, but coconut milk (canned) is something new to me, as is coconut water. I don't want to go "all out" and coconut up my entire diet, but I did buy some water and canned milk just to try it out this week and see if there are any areas of my diet they can fit into.

Question though... what is the difference between coconut milk vs water? Is one just more watered down than the other? I bought Thai Kitchen, as that's all that is around here (3 different stores).

Do you drink the canned stuff straight? Do you cook with it? Just some general tips about the difference and how to use etc...

Edit: Also, storage after opening the can, how long it lasts etc...

Thanks
    Earthy Mama's Journal
    First Primal Pregnancy

9+lbs lost this preg and good body changes from walking each day and eating healthy

"Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food" ~ Hippocrates

Paleobird Guest
    Coconut water is what comes out of the center of a coconut when you stick a straw in. It looks like cloudy water. It is natures electrolyte drink. Great stuff.

Coconut cream and milk are the actual flesh of the coconut ground up. The "milk" is more watery than the "cream" but same stuff.

Try to find brands that list only one ingredient : coconuts. Some brands add a lot of gums, stabilizers, etc that you don't need (don't know about yours). I use Aroy-D. Great in coffee plus for making Thai style soups. Also just to add a little extra creaminess like in mashed tubers, etc.

fresa is offline Member
    I personally don't use it often as the milk tends to make me sick in large quantities. However, I still will use it small doses to cook. I think it's the perfect consistency for sauces and curries. I've also know people who will put some in coffee or tea in place of cream. As far as storage, I don't actually know. However, I tend to err on the side of caution and will only let it sit in the fridge for maybe 3 days (and I'll take it out of the can right away once it's opened). If I know I won't use it before then, I'll freeze it.

Soooo basically what Paleobird said. What can I say, she knows her stuff.

Thank you both!!! I will try some with my coffee in the morning LOL!
    Earthy Mama's Journal
    First Primal Pregnancy

9+lbs lost this preg and good body changes from walking each day and eating healthy

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    This is how I see it:

Coconut milk is great with coffee.

Coconut water is great with tequila.

And there ya go.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

ryanmercer is offline Senior Member
    I'd like to supplement... coconut water generally comes from young coconuts. It's got a great amount of potassium and is good on other electrolytes too.
    -Ryan Mercer my blog and Genco Peptides my small biz

Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post
    This is how I see it:

Coconut milk is great with coffee.

And there ya go.
    Love the simplicity. LOL!!! Thx

ryanmercer, thx for the info... my husband is super low on potassium so maybe I can get him to drink some too
    Earthy Mama's Journal
    First Primal Pregnancy

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post
    Oooh that sounds dangerously good.

Coconut milk is useful in sauces, soups, smoothies, and as a replacement for dairy in certain things. I use it all the time. Coconut Water is more like a natural form of Gatorade. One tip in terms of finding coconut milk in stores is to be exhaustive in your search. Down here at the Publix Supermarkets they sell Thai Kitchen Coconut Milk in the Asian section. But they also sell a cheaper brand (Ochos Rios or something) in the Latin section. And then in the condensed milk section they sell three more brands, one of which (Goya) is cheap and also doesn't contain Guar Gum. So be sure to look around. Don't just assume that because you found it one place that's the only place they stock it or the only brand they sell.

Here is a good example of a recipe of mine where coconut milk is used as a substitute for heavy cream which works nicely:
    Creamy Bacon Brussels Sprouts

pace2race is offline Senior Member
    HyVee is good to check if they're in your part of Missouri. Like SBP said check different parts of the store. If your in a rural part of the state and buying up a lot of what your store stocks, talk to them. If you've tried another brand that is better, often they will bring it in if they can get it and will if they know you will shop there for it. Telling them you have family and friends that would like having a local store carry a brand doesn't hurt either. Especially if it's a small town, they often know what they have but have never tried it or know what's good with stuff like coconut milk. The Manager will appreciate your feedback and imput if it's done in a friendly and positive way.