Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Constant hunger after 4 months of being primal? page

Ammonetti is offline Junior Member

Constant hunger after 4 months of being primal?

Hello all! So, I have been primal for 4 months now. At first, things went swimmingly, but now my weight lost has stalled and I am constantly hungry. I eat tell I am satisfied and don't try to limit my calories. It seems that every 2 or so hours I have to eat again no matter how much I eat in the prior meal. Here is some additional information:

I eat 6-9 servings of vegetables a day.
    My carb intake is from between 60-90 grams a day
    I mostly eat beef, pork, and eggs for my meats.
    I am consistently in minor ketosis (I use testing strips)
    I have tried carb refeeds (300+ good carbs), but they fail to alleviate the problem
    I get 6-8 hours of low level aerobic activity a week
    I do a sprint workout every week
    I have IBS
    I take adderall and celexa
    I supplement with digestive enzymes, COQ10, vitamin D, fish oil, and magnesium.
    Despite attempts to increase sleep quality, I consistently wake up during the night and sleep poorly

Any thoughts, opinions, or solution would be greatly appreciated! This is very disheartening :/

spuggygirl is offline Senior Member
    You don't mention fat at all - how much fat do you eat?

Personally speaking, fat is what stops me from feeling hungry.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Did you lose at least 10-20% of body weight and prior to that maintained the weight for a long time (a few years)? If so, your body may be pushing you back towards isostasis, the old weight. You might have to accept a small weight re-gain and no further loss for a few weeks to let the things settle down.

You might want to explore your satiation mechanism, such as adding a lot more fat and dialing back carbs or increasing protein by protein dominant foods like tuna, pollock, turkey breast, egg whites (or both). Or trying plain foods with high satiation index, like plain boiled potato or beans. Check which meats satiate you the best. Salmon >>eggs and beef>> pork for me for example.
    check the volumes of food you are getting. See if adding bulk vegetable or turning salads into soups helps
    Do not be afraid eating every 2 or 3 hours if the hunger is persistent, but eat very slowly, and stretch every meal for eat least 30 min.
    Try drinking bone broth or cleansing lemonade (1/2 lemon, sea salt to taste, chili pepper to tatse)
    before going to bed have a couple of tablespoons of nut butter or a handful of nuts.

Hope this helps!
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

I would say my fat intake is pretty high. For example yesterday, my breakfast was 3 pieces of bacon, 3 pastured eggs, and 2 cups of sauteed vegetables with lots of clarified grass fed butter on top. I also had a huge salad with 2tbsp of olive oil, 15 olives, and an avocado. Finally I had 1lb of ground beef patties. As a side not I never drain my grease and just put it on my vegetables. That is a pretty standard day for me except I always include 2 or 3 snacks usually baked broccoli, kale chips, or squash accompanied by a hard boiled egg/jerky.

I lost 5% of my mass in the first month and I have been at my weight for 12 years. I will definitely try high protein meats and see if that helps! I'll also try the bone broth

As a side note, one sweet potatoe (200-300 cals) will keep me full longer than 2-3 times as many calories of fat/protein.
    Last edited by Ammonetti; 12-20-2012 at 09:32 AM.

have you considered eating more? depending on whether you are male or female, your size, your age, etc.. and your body composition and weight loss goals, you may just need to eat more. if you're a 6'5", 250lb man with 25 more lbs to lose, that's different than a 5'2" 250lb woman with 125lbs to lose.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    If your satiation mechanism is starch (as evidenced by sweet potato), try first simply adding some plain boiled peeled white potatoes. If you feel fuller but gaining weight, cut back fat while retaining white potatoes.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    have you considered eating more?
    Occam called. He wants his razor back.

richard is offline Senior Member
    simple thing is to up carbs, from roots, tubers etc. I find that if I am low on those, and not replacing glycogen stores, I am hungry all the time.

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    have you considered eating more? depending on whether you are male or female, your size, your age, etc.. and your body composition and weight loss goals, you may just need to eat more.
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Occam called. He wants his razor back.
    Occam already got his razor back, didn't hear about that? Or OP, have you considered resetting your hunger switch ie eating less or dare I say it, intermittent fasting, or outright fasting? Most people, CW people, eat too much already & have not tried IFing ever or tried it enough. A few months eating & living this PB way is still new for most metabolism imo. I went through "the hungries" several months into PB, fasting incrementally helped me get to a different, newer, better place in my estimation. Eating one's way out of one's problems or the stillness of autophagy, hm... Maybe try the latter & see what happens.
    Last edited by Betorq; 12-20-2012 at 02:27 PM.
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast