Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Constant hunger after 4 months of being primal? page 2

not on the rug is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Occam called. He wants his razor back.
    i must have missed his call. i think i had my phone set to vibrate or something
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

richard is offline Senior Member
    I find this is usually always caused by insufficient carbs, specifically carbs from sources like roots and tubers.

Carbs from fruit don't seem to do the job. I guess they're mostly fructose and sucrose. You need long chain carbs in order not to feel hungry all the time.

This is my experience anyway.

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ammonetti View Post
    Hello all! So, I have been primal for 4 months now. At first, things went swimmingly, but now my weight lost has stalled and I am constantly hungry. I eat tell I am satisfied and don't try to limit my calories. It seems that every 2 or so hours I have to eat again no matter how much I eat in the prior meal. Here is some additional information:

I eat 6-9 servings of vegetables a day.
    My carb intake is from between 60-90 grams a day
    I mostly eat beef, pork, and eggs for my meats.
    I am consistently in minor ketosis (I use testing strips)
    I have tried carb refeeds (300+ good carbs), but they fail to alleviate the problem
    I get 6-8 hours of low level aerobic activity a week
    I do a sprint workout every week
    I have IBS
    I take adderall and celexa
    I supplement with digestive enzymes, COQ10, vitamin D, fish oil, and magnesium.
    Despite attempts to increase sleep quality, I consistently wake up during the night and sleep poorly

Any thoughts, opinions, or solution would be greatly appreciated! This is very disheartening :/
    If you have IBS you might want to look at reducing your FODMAPS and getting more probiotics. But be careful with probiotics as they can cause greater symptoms in people with IBS. I have fructose malabsorption (cause of IBS for many) and when I eat too high in FODMAPS I feel really stuffed and hungry at the same time. Too much starch can also be an issue.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    i must have missed his call. i think i had my phone set to vibrate or something
    Yeah, he said he needs it back to figure out the Mayan Apocalypse thing.

not on the rug is offline Senior Member
    tell him to stop reading the magazines at the end of grocery store aisles
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

Legbiter is offline Senior Member
    I say you do a 24 hour fast and then eat regularly. Eat ad libidum/as much as you want of some fatty meat with salad. Report back.

prodistat is offline Senior Member
    Do you eat almonds and/or stevia? Those really make me crave food and overeat. Try eliminating those. Actually, all nuts if you can. But almonds are the major ones for me. Stevia is more of a thirsty-all-the-time thing, that I then end up trying to eat because drinking tons of water doesn't get rid of it. Eating doesn't fix it either.
    Prodistat
    Poke it quickly, with a stick.

Phil-SC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spuggygirl View Post
    You don't mention fat at all - how much fat do you eat?

Personally speaking, fat is what stops me from feeling hungry.
    I also agree...where is the fat?

That's what controls the hunger pangs! :-)
    Last edited by Phil-SC; 12-24-2012 at 04:58 AM.

PriM8 is offline Junior Member
    My advice is add fat, and a lot of it. When I was new to PB, I had a very poor understanding of just how many fat calories I needed. After reaching my preferred weight, I was deficient by several hundred calories/day. I hit that wall hard. Zero energy. Try 3 tablespoons of butter/ghee or coconut oil after each meal. Just my .02...

Ammonetti is offline Junior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Thank you all for your response! I ended up finding a solution. Fat was not the problem. One time I ate a pound of short ribs and 5 slices of bacon and it did nothing to curb my hunger. However, what has worked is intermittent fasting, adding protein and eating big ass salads daily! The salads in combination with increasing my protein intake from around 60-80g a day to 100-140g a day have really helped curb my hunger while IF has kick started my fat loss again. Thank you all for your response I appreciate it 10 more pounds down 30 more to go!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast