Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Licarrit"s Primal Journal page

Licarrit Guest

Shop Now

I have been eating primal for about 2 months now so I am over the weepy, tissue-papery feeling of not having that blast of carbs everytime you get hungry. I am diabetic, type II but I may have converted or become so screwed up that I can only use insulin now. I take 46 units of long acting and 1 unit for every 3 grams of carbs of the short acting -that is a lot of insulin, trust me. At present I eat about 40-80 grams of carb a day. I need to do more exercise but I am starting to get a grip on that too. This is where I am going to journal my food and exercise so comments are thoroughly encouraged. My immediate goal is to take off some weight, I am 5'1" and weight in at a whooping 205.2. I am also a 45 yr old woman so I am not expecting anything rapid here. Beyond the weight loss I am also looking to decrease the amount of insulin I use daily.

Welcome!

Mark mentioned another 30 day Primal Challenge and while I didn't quite make it onto the 1st one, maybe you'd be interested in joining me on the second 'iteration'!

He has yet to make a full announcement, but it's due to start on August 3rd and there might be prizes, etc, this time!

I am also looking to lose weight. I have about 20 lbs to go (ie junk in the trunk) and will probably start a Primal Journal in here starting on 1st day of the challenge.

I hope that you reach your goals (and then some)!

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member

How much have you lost in the past 2 months?

What type of excersises are you doing?

Licarrit Guest

Ooh, visitors already!

Actually, I haven't lost anything though this is in no way a reflection on Mark's ideas or PB. I am taking so much insulin and had complicating factors that further reduced my insulin sensitivity that it would be nearly impossible for me to lose from the start.

In the time that I have been eating PB I have seen my fasting sugars go from the mid 180's to 100, for the non-diabetic, that is the difference between eventually needing dialysis or going blind and living to a ripe old age, 100 is normal. I had gotten it down to @ 140 with just the change in diet. Getting off my birth control pills and getting off my diuretic for high BP along with taking Mark's vitamins pushed it even lower. I don't work for Mark BTW, so that is my unpaid opinion. I need to keep it down long enough that my A1c starts to drop. That test is done every 3 months.

As for exercise, I tend to have exercise ADD. I have a home gym with a Bulgarian bag and some other stuff as well as an Incline trainer.

Ok are you using the gym equipment What's your typical weeks workout look like.

Licarrit Guest

Ahh, you've found the chink in the plan! I work @ 60 hours a week in a brain draining job (academic medical research)(my husband has worked at least 6 days a week for the last 15 years!) and between that and having a demanding 9 yr old daughter I don't have the energy and brain capacity to actually DO anything. I am trying to limit my computer time while at home and find ways to have FUN (ah, fun, remember fun). So to that end I ordered a Trikke today that I can drag my daughter along on her rollerblades. I am doing weight training a couple of days a week with a TRX, the Bulgarian Bag, and bodyweight exercises. I was doing better with the exercise before starting PB and the energy hasn't been there since starting but I am still working on it. My hope is to lose enough weight that I can get back to doing the martial arts that I love.

Licarrit Guest

July 16 09

Breakfast: 3 eggs scrambled/ soft goat cheese/ sun-dried tomatoes in olive oil

Lunch: Cobb Salad with lettuce, tomato, avocado, shredded cheese, turkey breast, bacon, hard boiled egg, blue cheese dressing (I have this almost every day and I get it at a restaurant- not organic!)

Mid Aft Snack: handful of mixed unsalted nuts

Dinner: don't know yet, maybe some fish

Exercise: 15 minutes strength training on my TRX

Full body routine

Licarrit Guest

Argh! you can't edit posts?

Didn't have the goat cheese and tomatoes just had the eggs scrambled in butter.

Arthur, since you are determined to keep me on the straight and narrow (and thank you for that!) I will tell you that since eating PB I have taken 2" off my hips

1" off my waist and 1" off my chest measurements which is probably the other reason that I am not nuts that the scale isn't moving. Also, and this falls into the realm of way to much info, the fat I carry on my stomach is softer and my stretch marks are much more pronounced which means that the fat is leaving (squishy fat is mobile fat!) and there is less of it (less tension on the skin means more pronounced stretch marks -gross but true!)

A couple of things come to mind.

You guys are working way too much. Why are you working sooooo many hours? Is if a money issue, love for the job, etc? When do you have time to raise your daughter? Enjoy life, etc?

Also, it’s just a matter of getting dressed and doing it. IF it is important, you can find 20-30 min a day to workout. I worked 10 hours with no break yesterday… (which is rare) but went home and put on my shorts and headed out… I didn’t feel like it but fitness is important to me.

Licarrit Guest

Unfortunately, those kinds of hours are actually pretty standard in academic medical research which is what my husband and I do. My primarily blue collar family thinks it is hysterical -3 degrees (DH is an M.D Ph.D.) and we work more than they do. Weren't you supposed to go to college to get the cushy jobs!? Anyway, you are right about the exercise and that was what pushed me to get out of bed a little earlier and get some in.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast