Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Licarrit"s Primal Journal page 2

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

Do you guys "have" to work so many hours? Is it a $$ thing or do you love what you do?

It is your choice you know...

Licarrit Guest

Unfortunately, if you want to stay employed in doing neuro-immunology research, yes it is necessary. We have published papers in really good science journals (you can google me, Lisette Carrithers) The stuff we do is fascinating even if this isn't what I want to do for the rest of my life. In truth, I'm more of an artist than a scientist. I am salary so is DH, we make the same $ if we work 40 or 80 hours. The thing is that if we want to stay funded and we want to get promoted, and write the papers and you get the idea, you do this. We took a 10 day vacation this year which was a very big deal because usually we have cells and mice that need to be taken care on a near daily basis. The money we make which is pretty good, goes to really good food, good books, good wine and the occasional splurge toy like the Trikke I just ordered. All in all we have a great life and because the job is not physically demanding we can work into our 70's without breaking down our bodies. Something that the rest of my family runs into.

Licarrit Guest

okay, still trying to get the hang of journaling without an edit feature.

Yesterday I ate pretty much as planned, had eggs but not the goat cheese and tomatoes, ate my salad like always and had wood roasted pork shoulder aka. bar-b-que without the sauce, well just a dab of sauce and peach with greek yogurt for dessert, oh, and some nuts.

We even took the dogs out for @ an hour walk after dinner.

Fasting sugar this morning was 139. not great but not bad. I took 23 units of long acting last night and not the usual 25 guess I don't get to reduce that one yet. I have reduced the short acting by going from 1 unit for every 3 grams of carb to 1 unit for every 4. doesn't seem like much but every little bit helps. Got to get it down further but I didn't sleep well sore and ache-y from the lifting yesterday morning. which obviously means I need to do more!

Mark is going to be doing his 30 day challenge in the beginning of Aug. and I am definitely in but I think I want to try for a noticeable transformation so I am going to set up some pictures of the oh so scary before and try to do some video and stuff on a regular blog and try to put the link here. At the beginning of the summer my goal was to lose 15 lbs of body fat and frankly I am not even close though I have lost some. So my goals for the rest of the summer are to find more ways to move my body, the eating has been solid, no real cravings for carbs that I felt powerless about. The movement comes harder. So we can walk the long way to the bar where I have my big salad. We can walk after dinner, and I can lift in the mornings. I don't feel safe sprinting yet but I can add in a HIIT incline workout once in a while and then maybe by this fall I can have taken off some weight and my ankles and knees will feel up to sprinting. I also want to add some fun in so the Trikke will be here next week and I'll get to make a fool of myself trying to learn that too but hopefully it will help move some of this trunk fat. Ew, that sounds gross!

Breakfast: blueberries with Greek yogurt, 3 scrambled eggs

Trinkwasser Guest

This might be worth a read

http://www.dsolve.com/

the How To's are written by a GP with a Type 1 son, who is very opposed to conventional treatment. She covers reduing insulin along with the carbs.

According to Michael Eades a normal pancreatic output is around 30 units/day, a figure confirmed by a Type 1 friend who maintains an A1c in the high fours on about twenty units, using a low carb diet.

This suggests you have considerable insulin resistance (your lipids may prove this). The good news is, so did I on a high carb low fat diet, and now I don't.

Probably a combination of low intensity exercise and short bursts of high intensity is the best plan, IR responds well to growing and using muscle. Lifting grows it and even walking is sufficient to use it. Metformin also helps (not totally Primal but it is derived from a herb). Getting and keeping your BG down, as you're already doing by no longer abusing your body with all those carbs, also works well, and that and the weight loss (which work synergistically) will undoubtedly have results, but not overnight.

I look forward to reading of your success.

Licarrit Guest

Sorry, kinda dropped out of sight but I am back now! Trinkwasser, that site looks awesome! I'll have to check it out further at home.

I am setting some goals for myself for the challenge>

TRX 3x a week to build muscle.

Trikke 4x a week to have fun and work my body at a steady pace.

Get the carbs down to 70 or less grams a day.

Write it all down so I can see what the hell I am doing.

I want to try to get rid of some of the dairy, namely cheese, in my diet so that it is the occasion treat and not the crutch it is now.

I've still been eating well and my fuzziness is cleared up now I have started getting my energy back too! Thank god! There have been lots of little positive things about the switch that I've seen but the big thing I'd like to see is some weightloss and that just hasn't happened yet. I am confident it will but damn, it is taking a long time.

Licarrit Guest

Got an excellent Trikke session in yesterday, @ an hour! Now I really know how to carve and so does the kid. This is so much more fun than riding a bike and soooo much better on my knees than even walking. Can't wait to get out there again tonight. I want to make an exercise video for the contest, much as I love it Trikking is kind of out because of the specialized equipment. What ever I do has to be believable for my body -the wheels are spinning!

Licarrit Guest

Okay, now I am really confused! I measured my body fat percentage at the beginning of the summer and got 41% yes, it is a really ugly number! Well, I just measured my bodyfat percentage again after being primal all summer and not having any great change on the scale (actually it went up a few pounds!), with a more accurate calculator and I am now at 28.6%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Is that even possible? I am gobsmacked! I feel so much stronger and look better but could I have dropped that much fat and put on that much muscle? I am starting to see the vaguest definition in my arms and legs but the trunk is still sloppy looking.

DiabetesCanKissMyButt is offline Senior Member

How did you measure your bodyfat?

Just curious to know at what point did you need to start taking insulin?

Licarrit Guest

DCKMA, I used an estimator to calculate my body fat based on a set of measurements (hips, calf, thigh, wrist) and my personal info (weight, age, sex) The first time I did it I used a different model and it only used hips and waist I think. The one I used yesterday would take into account frame size etc. so I am assuming it would be more accurate. The only way to know for sure is to do a water displacement test and they are killer expensive.

My family "converts" meaning at some point in their type II course they stop making insulin. Its on my mother's side and probably an inbred French-Canadian thing. The docs aren't sure if that is the point I am at yet but while primal I have been able to increase the grams of carb per unit of insulin I take but I have not been able to alter my long-acting in the least and I take a LOT of long acting (46 units split morning and night) I also suspect that the first body fat estimate was way off. I'm heavier than I should be but 41% body fat is Jabba the Hut fat, and I was never that kind of sloppy. I may have been closer to the low 30's and have lost fat from there which is more likely. I'll still take it!

I didn't fail my oral meds till this year. I was on insulin when I was pregnant with my daughter but they put every diabetic on insulin for pregnancy.

This morning after an hour and 1/2 of Trikking last night my sugar was 102! a very beautiful thing! I am going to go take measurements with a real measuring tape, not a paper printed one and plug that in to the formula and see what I get. I was planning to TRX this morning but I am wiped out so I will do it when I get home from work.

Licarrit Guest

Okay, re did all the numbers with a real tape measure and a fresh weigh in and got 33.5% which is still better than I started with.

I'll do it again at the end of the challenge to see if it changes. It will give me a quantifiable result to my process oriented goals.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast