Page 1 of 209 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: The "Eat More (or Moar) Fat" January Challenge page

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member

The "Eat More (or Moar) Fat" January Challenge

Primal Fuel
    Hi There,

My name is Paula. I have been Primal for over two years. My full story (probably more than you want to know) can be found in my journal. In short, due to severe metabolic syndrome and a binge eating disorder, I have not yet reached my Primal health goals even though the PB has improved my life immensely.

For the last few weeks, I have been experimenting with the protocol laid out in the original "Eat Moar Fat" Thread (Thanks, Paleobird) http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65113.html
    I started in earnest on December 10th and have lost over 10 lbs so far. More importantly, the bingeing has stopped. Many of my MDA friend have joined me this week or will do so on Jan 1st.

Essentially the idea is High Fat, Moderate Protein, Low Carb AND Controlled Calories.

I am going for roughly 70% fat / 25% protein / 5% carb with a calorie range of 1800-2000 cals. I am 5'10" tall.

***Formula for figuring out macro ratios
    From the work of Dr Jan Kwasniewski author of The Optimal Diet.
    First you figure up your IDEAL weight in KILOS. This is not necessarily the weight you are aiming for but it it your Ultimate HSIS (Hot Stuff In Swimwear) weight.
    HSIS weight in kilos plus/minus 10% = range for protein grams/day
    HSIS weight in kilos divided by 2 = upper end for carb grams/day
    The rest of your diet is fat. HSIS weight in kilos x anywhere from 2 to 3.5 depending on your weight goals (lower to lose, higher to gain)

Suggested Reading: The Primal Blueprint (Yes, read it again! Mark talks about high fat, low carb and controlled calories needed for some people. It's all in there.) Also, The Eating Academy | Peter Attia, M.D. The Eating Academy | Peter Attia, M.D.

New to Primal? Please read the Primal Blueprint book or Primal 101 on the blog and follow the basic program first. "Eat Moar Fat" is a Primal based program where the goal is nutritional ketosis. You may not need to be so extreme especially in carb restriction. Good Luck!

For the rest of you, this is an open invitation to join my journal friends and me in this experiment. Cheers!
    Last edited by Pebbles67; 12-20-2012 at 01:47 PM.
    Paula Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Excellent intro, P!

I will probably not join in the challenge, but I am going to keep an eye on people's progress. I'd be most interested in seeing how people accomplish their macro goals (what they eat). I may use the EMF idea to attempt to heal some gut issues in January, if the things I'm trying now don't help.

Out of curiousity:
    My weight in KG - 54kg
    Protein goal - 60g (rounding up)
    Carb limit - 27g
    Fat - 150g, since I am not trying to gain or lose (though I could just focus on eating more fat and not the ratios so much).
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

KWM
    KWM is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles67 View Post
    Hi There,

For the rest of you, this is an open invitation to join my journal friends and I in this experiment. Cheers!
    This Grammar Nazi** will happily join you and thanks you for the invitation.

That said, it's "join my journal friends and ME . . ." (You wouldn't say "join I in this experiment")

>^..^<

**if interested, check out the Grammar Nazi thread in Odds & Ends. Hilarious.

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    Alrighty, I am jumping in now, with the understanding that I will not be overly conscious while I am on vacation for a week and a half, watchful but not obsessive (if that is even possible for me?).

My goals...

Weight 72kg
    Using rounding (easier to remember!)
    Protein 70g
    Carbs 35g
    Fat 140g
    About 1700 calories

And so far so good, it feels really good. I am doing Net Carbs (subtract fiber from total carbs) because I like veggies, and I need the fiber for my UC. Plus this helps keep me honest, so that I don't use my carbs for junk carbs.
    Last edited by demuralist; 12-20-2012 at 08:38 AM. Reason: add calories
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 5:2 -2 day fast diet with real food every day

magpieoz is offline Junior Member
    Hi All,

Can you give some examples of your fat sources? Curious...

Thanks!

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    Here is typical...

My day today (obviously lunch and dinner=its the plan)...
    Wake up...1tsp matcha powder, in 12oz water, 4T HnH (I shop at Trader Joes and their HWC is a very small container) whirled
    Breakfast smoothie...1C unsweetened almond milk, 1C unsweetened coconut milk (from carton not can), 1T @ cocoa, chia, flax, & kosher gelatin, 2 eggs, and 14g MCT
    Lunch....1 small avocado with 1T mayo and 1/4C toasted pecans, 1oz double cream gouda on the side, Double chocolate Mate with 1T HnH
    Dinner....BAS with 3C mixed greens, cuke, red pepper, olive oil, apple cider vinegar with pumpkin seeds, walnuts and blue cheese. Then I add a protein source either salmon or chicken thighs or grass fed beef.
    Snacking when needed....Cream cheese/tampenade/nut mix on celery.

My carbs go high, but right now I am doing net carbs so they end up coming in under my 36g limit. Also Dr. Attia talks about easing into this. I am hoping that by easing into it I can avoid the carb flu. fingers crossed on that one, so far so good.
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 5:2 -2 day fast diet with real food every day

Unicorn is offline Senior Member
    I was already planning this, but I will join! I am having surgery 1/3/13, and will be in recovery mode. Ketosis will be a great place to hang out during January.

I also did this protocol back in October/november. I felt amazing, and had weight loss, but it is challenging to maintain through the holidays.

My ratios were:

Carbs: 30 g
    Protein: 60-70g
    Fats: 115-140 g. I think I got to 140 once when I overshot my ratios totally.

Example of a day:

B: 1 egg and 1 egg yolk cooked in bacon fat, 2 pieces bacon, tea with coconut oil.

L: Salad (lettuce, broccoli, cabbage, few cherry tomatoes) with 2/3 can sardines, olive oil, splash of balsamic. Tea with CO afterwards.

D: 3-4 oz pork chop, kale sauteed in bacon grease or CO, 2 Tb mascarpone with some mac nuts, or a few raspberries.

geostump is offline Senior Member
    I'm in. Starting This Sunday!
    Georgette

athomeontherange is offline Senior Member
    I am in starting saturday. Paula, can you explain the broth?
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Paleobird Guest
    Yay Paula!

Losing ten pounds is nice but losing the binging urges? THAT is wonderful because that makes this sustainable long term not just some fad thing you white knuckle through and then fall off the wagon.

I am so happy it is working for you.

I guess I'm in, but then I'm always in this eating mode.

Page 1 of 209 1231151101 ... LastLast