Page 57 of 209 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967107157 ... LastLast

Thread: The "Eat More (or Moar) Fat" January Challenge page 57

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    I chatted with PB about it, and I think ill use this as a rough guide and see how I go.
    1,200 calories
    Carbs - 30 g
    Fat - 93 g
    Protein - 60 g

Will do this via my 2 meals still, and go from there.
    But if I am hungry I will eat, no starving myself ever again.

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tomi View Post
    Okay - I can give it a month and see what happens. I was wondering if there was some sort of adjustment period. I remember reading the "miserable for the first 6 weeks" part on Attia's blog - but didn't remember anything about bloat and gain. I'll stick it out - try to up the fat just a tad more and decrease the others a tad. Guess I need to start eating avacados - not may favorite. I'll do some more research on upping the fat and try some of the suggested "fat bomb" ideas and recipes. The weird thing is - I tried this once before and I quickly lost 10 pounds and felt really great! So I'm not sure what is different now.

But, I won't complain anymore - I'll just knuckle down and stay the course. But I sure don't want a month to go by with NO weight loss! That would totally blow my schedule! My official weigh day is friday - so I'll check back in and report. Thanks for the help
    My advice... stop focusing on what you can't control. You cannot control what your body does with weight. You can do things that SHOULD cause weight loss, but you can't really control what's going to happen. Just focus on eating right, exercising within the constraints of your limitations and let it be what it'll be. I know it's frustrating to not see progress on the scale, but as a woman with a thyroid condition, missing organs and an autoimmune disorder, you have a LOT of stuff going on in there. It might be that your body is focusing on healing and that this stint in ketosis will help with that but not necessarily get you to lose right away. Just stay the course and see what happens. I wish you luck with the scale, but it's really not the only measure you have to determine how well you're doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    OK fixed my settings.
    Is this OK? Aiming for 65 kg for now. I am 107.4 kg, and 158 cm tall.
    Calories - 1600
    Carbohydrates - 40g (10%)
    Protein - 60g (15%)
    Fat 133g (75%)

I think it looks great.

Quote Originally Posted by Kymma View Post
    Have any of you read about insulin resistance? Have any of you been tested? I ask because it is a huge help to my mind shift. Once I realized that my eating habits had led to a metabolic issue wherein my body is unable to process glucose and needs to relearn to use fat for energy, then it makes more sense why I go up and down. It also helped me stay on course for over 50 days straight, because I am going to have to reteach my body. I can't give up when my body flounders, not knowing what to do. So I just keep trying to reduce sugars in my system, try to derive as much of my energy from fat/protein, and wait until my body catches on.
    ^^This.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Annlee View Post
    Now I'm losing slowly but steadily with really lousy amounts of exercise. When I do get serious exercise, I bump my protein more towards Phinney & Volek values. When I'm just slogging away on the laptop all day and half the night, I use more the Kwasniewski values.
    This is a really important point, Annlee. The protein needs to be adjusted based on activity level. I stay closer to P&V levels but I walk everywhere with my dog and do LHTs and sprints when the dog want to chase a squirrel.

RMS123 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by athomeontherange View Post
    reporting in.. I am down 3 since starting EMF almost a week ago. My fat counts have been @ 40-50g short of what I need. So last night to bring it up a bit I put some sunflower butter, softened butter, a smidge of cocoa powder and a little sweetner together and ate it. ohmygosh.. so good. It helped upper my fat a bit as well. Have not been to the store to get the pork rinds etc. I am finding it difficult to stay in my protein range. I always go over. what is worse? Over on protein or too little fat?
    Nail the protein and carbs (try not to go over) and use fat as the up and down. If you eat too many protein and carbs, then add more fat, so that your macro %s are right, but you are over on total calories, you'll either maintain (not necessarily a bad thing while figuring out the right carb and protein grams) or gain. I think this was PaleoBird's underlying premise - eat more fat, but you still have to watch overall intake.

Quote Originally Posted by tomi View Post
    okay -- instead of waiting until friday to step on the scales, I did it today. I've gained a pound. And I am not at all suprised cuz since starting this higher fat experiment I have been bloated through my mid-section to the point of being uncomfortable. Especially at night - its causing me to not sleep well due to the pressure and discomfort. I wake up in pain.

I know I'm slightly shy on fats, and slightly over on proteins. My averages over the 6 days are 64% fat, 25% protein, 11% carbs. I've had no alcohol and no sugar over these 6 days. I've walked a total of 6 miles over these 6 days as well. If I figure all the numbers I should have lost at the very least 1 pound. Instead I have gained a pound.

So - how long would you go to see if this way of eating is going to work for your particular body? I'm ready to throw in the towel and go back to just low carbing it. I think my body is especially efficient at storing fat instead of burning it! Obviously my carbs are low enough that I'm not relying on those for fuel............ I wonder what would happen if I went ZERO carbs for a week?

I'm frustrated. I wanted to be under 180 by Jan. 1 ............... here it is the 7th and I'm still 183.4. I need to get back to LOSING! This stagnation is making me so angry! I'm really thinking this HF method is not working for me. Unless I'm just not high enough fat and low enough protein and carb. But, then why am so bloated and feeling gross???

HELP!!!
    I agree - give it a month, but maybe ease into things. Doesn't sound like you've increased your overall intake. Is some fat easier to digest? I know coconut oil is hard for me. Too many nuts, well... There is hope, though - I had my gallbladder out and can now tolerate plenty well

How many calories, how many grams of fat, protein, carbs [know that this is an imperfect system]? I can tell you, that even 10 g of protein greatly impact things on the scale for me. Weird, that's all I can say

OK so first week lost 1.6 kg (3.5 lbs) and 3 cm (just over an inch) off my waist.
    I know its not terrible, but had a moment of disappointment, but its all good, will keep going and I will get there
    AWESOME loss. I'd love to lose that in a week

Quote Originally Posted by geostump View Post
    After reading some posts in this thread, I have come to a conclusion. Seems like most of us are looking for a fast fat loss program and I hate to be the bearer of bad news, it ain't gonna be fast no matter what you do. You can't expect to drop months or even years of bad habits in a few weeks. You've got to retrain your body and your mind as to what your body needs for fuel and how to burn it. I think if we can all agree to give this a month to see how things move and not drop out of the program, then we're all at least giving it a fair shake. After checking my macros on MFP, this is the first day that I am finding I have the macros pretty much dead on. Give it time ladies. Rome wasn't built overnight and we can't expect ourselves to rebuild our Rome overnight as well.
    Thank you, thank you. I need this reminder.

Quote Originally Posted by honeybuns View Post
    I have found that the type of fat makes a difference in how you feel. Maybe Tomi's bloating could be from one of the fats. I know that when I eat too many almonds I bloat horribly. No more chomping down for me. That was NOT comfortable.
    +1

Opps sorry, here you go

Have I got this right?
    Is this OK? Aiming for 65 kg for now. I am 107.4 kg, and 158 cm tall.
    Calories - 1600
    Carbohydrates - 40g (10%)
    Protein - 60g (15%)
    Fat 133g (75%)

Do I need to change anything?
    Protein - 58.5 to 71.5 (Depending on your activity, may need to start at the lower range)
    Carbs - 32.5 (upper end)
    Fat - 130 g
    Calories between 1534 and 1586
    [Which is a long way of saying you're pretty much on it]
    -- Ruth

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RMS123 View Post
    Nail the protein and carbs (try not to go over) and use fat as the up and down. Right. Exactly.

If you eat too many protein and carbs, then add more fat, so that your macro %s are right. Um, No. If you are over, do better tomorrow but still hold the line on the calories for the day. You can't "make up" for excess carbs and protein by eating some more fat.

but you are over on total calories, you'll either maintain (not necessarily a bad thing while figuring out the right carb and protein grams) or gain. I think this was PaleoBird's underlying premise - eat more fat, but you still have to watch overall intake. THIS
    Robin

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Ruth I lowered my goals a bit:
    1,200 calories
    Carbs - 30 g
    Fat - 93 g
    Protein - 60 g

Will see how I go.

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    NZGwanma I have a full grown male nubian goat as a pet. He is as big as a great dane, and lives in his own shed.

Pebbles - fantastic. Aren't they a hoot - ecept when ring barking the trees etc.......
    Can you post a pickie ???? please.........
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

RMS123 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Robin
    Thanks for correcting, Robin! Now tha I'm rereading, not sure what I was thinking...i blame it on holding a dog with her head in a cone while typing. Not good to have mis-information out there.

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NZ primal Gwamma View Post
    NZGwanma I have a full grown male nubian goat as a pet. He is as big as a great dane, and lives in his own shed.

Pebbles - fantastic. Aren't they a hoot - ecept when ring barking the trees etc.......
    Can you post a pickie ???? please.........
    Page 222 post #2215 in my journal
    Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Ruth I lowered my goals a bit:
    1,200 calories
    Carbs - 30 g
    Fat - 93 g
    Protein - 60 g

Will see how I go.
    Goals look good and doable in a small eating window if that is what you choose