Page 52 of 209 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102152 ... LastLast

Thread: The "Eat More (or Moar) Fat" January Challenge page 52

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    So here is the quote about proteins from Dr. Attia (it is in a comment from his "What I actually eat" page)...." When I transitioned about 8 months ago to full (nutritional) ketosis, I spent the first 6 weeks in pure hell. So weak I couldn’t stand without needing to sit again. It was awful, and were it not for the fact that I told myself I was only going to do it for 12 weeks, I would have quit. Fortunately, I had the help of a couple of experts in the field – Steve Phinney and Jeff Volek (authors of one of the books I recommend). I will write about this in much more detail in the future, but I can say the two biggest mistakes I was making were: 1) I was eating too much protein (north of 200 gm/day), and 2) I was not supplementing enough sodium. There are many other little nuances I’ve learned since, but once I fixed those two, within 3 days I was humming along. I haven’t looked back since. Ironically, it was not the consumption of too many carbs that was hurting me. "

and here is what he said about the BS.....first the commenter then his answer...."Peter: One thing that I’m still not clear on is whether one can be in nutritional ketosis and still have high blood sugar? I understand that high insulin is a barrier to NK but what if one has low insulin and high sugar? Inspired in part by your work and my own early successes in low-card dieting, I’ve started monitoring my blood sugar using the Precision Xtra strips. What I’ve noticed is that my one and two hour post-prandial sugar is invariably good (90 or below) but my fasting level is frequently over 120. It’s as if my body produces glucose while I sleep and then can’t get rid of it until I eat or exercise? This is particularly troublesome to me as I’ve gotten into an intermittent fasting routine where I won’t eat after 10pm, have coffee with a spoon of cream before work, go to the gym around noon and then have my first meal around 1pm. That’s a long time (potentially) to be in a high-sugar state each day (from some time overnight to just before noon). Any ideas as to what might be going on? Admittedly the fasting sugar is higher when I have sugars as part of my evening meal (around 7) or have ice cream after supper but it happens even when I’ve had a prettly low carb, no-grains or sugars day – I’ve almost never registerd a waking fasting glucose below 100 despite having last eaten a low-carb meal 10 hours ago. Then, during the same day I regularly hit 80 post-prandially. Should I be concerned? Should I abandon IF?" Response= "I definitely noticed higher “fasting” sugars early the fasting day while in IF than now that I’m back in “regular” ketosis. Not sure if the difference is clinically significant, but I do note my fasting glucose is lower when not doing IF."
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day

sorry, double post
    Last edited by demuralist; 01-07-2013 at 12:39 PM.
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    Ill have to read that guys blog, do you have a link handy to the broth thing?
    What I actually eat, part II

It's in the comments somewhere. I did a "find on this page" search, looking for the word bouillon and I found a lot of hits. Pretty good conversation, including why he thinks it's ok to consume bouillon with its nasty ingredients (some has MSG, all have artificial something-or-other). There's even a fight where one gal says she's done reading b/c she can't believe he would advocate the use of neurotoxins... lol
    Last edited by jenn26point2; 01-07-2013 at 12:51 PM.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    Study Natural Medicine Courses
    this school, I am sure they take international students. I do pay $440 a month for it, not sure on the international price. Its going to take up to 4 years to complete, but trying to do it in less, my youngest starts big school in 2015 and I want to start working part time then, and eventually have a mobile naturopath/pet homeopath (studying this too), and massage practice.
    I forgot you're in AU. lol I was hoping for a US based school, to be perfectly honest... but then again, the US is so jacked up with it's dietary recommendations that maybe it would be more beneficial to attend a college/school outside the confines of the US borders.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Shelli is offline Senior Member
    Yesterday was my first day to really watch macros and log food intake. I met calories but went over on protein and not enough fat. I didn't measure myself but happened to notice this morning that my favorite bra has more room in the cups than last time I wore it....sigh. Always the way isn't it?

In my part of the world we are forecast to have hellish high temps and hot wind. I have to go out to a necessary appointment, and a Mcdonalds with their very seductive caramel or coffee frappes will be tempting. So to avoid this, my solution is to make a coffee frappe at home before we leave. Fresh espresso, ice, whole milk and HWC. Just as good, just as cooling, and I know what's in it. Might help me stay out of all the crap foodcourt food, too.

Oh the homemade coffee's are always better. You can add some of the SF flavored syrups (not primal but better than sugar when you need caramel flavor in your coffee). Good luck at the food court....the smells can really draw you in.
    Chris
    Unknown

Shelli is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by demuralist View Post
    Oh the homemade coffee's are always better. You can add some of the SF flavored syrups (not primal but better than sugar when you need caramel flavor in your coffee). Good luck at the food court....the smells can really draw you in.

Well, at this particular mall I'm luckily not tempted. It's a case of once bitten, twice shy. Now, if they bring Cinnabons into Australia, it'll be a whole different deal!

geostump is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelli View Post
    Well, at this particular mall I'm luckily not tempted. It's a case of once bitten, twice shy. Now, if they bring Cinnabons into Australia, it'll be a whole different deal!
    I never liked Cinnabon even pre-primal.
    Georgette

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Shelli where in Aus are you?
    I am in Sydney and it was 27 degrees c at 8.30 am
    Walked the dogs and hung out washing and I was sweating my ass off.

Watching last nights episode of the US biggest loser. I don' t like how they do things but I like to watch it and get angry at the TV.
    They have kids this year, not sure if thats good or not. That kind of pressure to lose numbers. Only just started the episode so not sure how they are approaching it.

Im a cranky bitch already today, have a sore neck, which happens a bit, and I then i get a headache. Argh, trying to fix my body but days like this get me down

Will read all the above stuff later.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I have not been in a mall in years, literally, years. Luckily DD prefers to shop at Goodwill and Salvation Army (and now Costco), DH and DS don't shop. I usually end up at TJMaxx. So no food court temptations for me.

If I am going to "blow" my eating plan, it is generally only for something homemade, cinnabon wouldn't qualify!
    Chris
    Unknown