Page 48 of 209 FirstFirst ... 3846474849505898148 ... LastLast

Thread: The "Eat More (or Moar) Fat" January Challenge page 48

Sigi is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal123 View Post
    Just a random thought and I've had a fever for 4 days so bear with me if it's a dumb question. Does anyone worry that eating such a high percentage of fat that they may not consume enough essential nutrients, particularly phytonutrients and others that are escaping my foggy brain.
    I'm wondering that myself. What about getting sufficient Vitamin C, so I don't turn into a scurvy wench? (Arrrrrrrrrr.....)
    I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

Oscar Wilde

demuralist is online now Senior Member
    Well, last night as I was going to bed, I thought, now wait a minute I did not try to "cheat" even once today. Not a single thought of something sweet or crunchy or carby. Now all my macros/calories were a tad high so some tweaking is in order. But it was a great first day!

Regarding specific vitamins. I think we get what we need when we eat whole foods. And learning to listen to our bodies will help us not only know when to eat but what to eat. If you are truly worried there are always supplements.

I can see both sides of the "to eat or not to eat" argument. I really do want to get to the point where body cues are what tell me what and when to eat. But I have had disordered eating for so long that going without eating sets up a binge, either because "I deserve it" since I have been doing so well, or because my body is literally starved for nutrients. But surely our ancient ancestors did not have access to food whenever they wanted it, so IF in some form is probably natural. Of course they did not likely have the same mental/emotional eating issues we tend to be faced with. Obviously an individual thing. But I think Paula's point that this is not about purposeful calorie cutting so much is a good one, at least in my situation.
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 5:2 -2 day fast diet with real food every day

Hey just saw this article, thought it could be helpful....What’s Your 20 Mile March? | The Art of Manliness

I know the source seems weird, but it is a great blog, and a very good article.
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My "Program": doing my version of a 5:2 -2 day fast diet with real food every day

JudyMac is offline Member
    Reporting in.

My weight is still the same...sigh. I'd really like to shift the pooch 2 inches around my waist. The doctor says it is because of the peri-menopause...but I think the pooch should go.

On the good news front, I just got back from my first swim of the year and had a nice surprise. In effort terms it was as easy as a stroll down the road, normally breathing feels on a par with a fast walk. So a thumbs up for fat burning swims.

All in all, I'm happy with the MOAR fat so far!

JudyMac is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigi View Post
    I'm wondering that myself. What about getting sufficient Vitamin C, so I don't turn into a scurvy wench? (Arrrrrrrrrr.....)
    Drink the juice of one lemon daily, you'll be fine. It costs 1g of carb.

geostump is offline Senior Member
    Made a new batch of bone broth last night and drinking some now before I go to work. I did up the Knorr to one whole cube from half a cube and also added a tbsp of butter to it. A friend of mine told me that the butter also helps to keep the carb flu at bay. It's the salt that helps with that. Yesterday, I had a minor cheat with a low carb hot chocolate that I made with almond milk, hwc and 99% cacao from World Market. Even with that cheat, I was still within my ranges for macros.

I did workout this morning. Did some light weights and about 30 seconds on the stepper. Yeah, I said 30 seconds. My thighs were blazing.

In regards to eating, I am still eating 3 times a day. I'm perfectly fine with it for the time being. I do seem to periodically get hungry. If I see a plateau hit, then I may put IF into action.
    Georgette

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    On a random note, I seem to be naturally dropping supplements.

I used to take a huge list of things.

Now just a Multi, B complex, 1mg iodine, 200mg magnesium, Omega 3 and D3

I dropped
    Maca (heart palpitations were freaking me out, not sure if it helped with hormonal balance, )
    5htp for sleep (don't need it)
    Gaba (sleep)
    Thyroid Support
    Adrenal Support

I'm sure there are others I've forgotten.
    Paula Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

I have actually worked over this past year to drop supplements as well as unnecessary meds. I am down to just...

Asacol (for IBD)
    D3 (I have a tested deficiency)
    Carlson's fish oil
    a Calcium/Magnesium/D3 combo at night time.

osteopenia is a concern, thus the calcium/magnesium.
    Chris
    Unknown

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    I feel healthier on this higher fat way of eating so I may eventually drop the multi. I still have that CW fear that I might be missing something.

I had a D deficiency, but with supplementation, I brought it up from 36 - 74. Now, when I eventually retire to FL, I can drop that supp.
    Last edited by Pebbles67; 01-07-2013 at 07:07 AM.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles67 View Post
    On a random note, I seem to be naturally dropping supplements.

I dropped
    Maca (heart palpitations were freaking me out, not sure if it helped with hormonal balance, )
    That is one of the things I read about immediately after I tried Maca root. Too high a dose (or unneeded) if you have those kinds of side effects. Not worth it, IMO! I have just stopped trying it because it makes my hands ache, sometimes my knees too. That was happening to me when I would eat regular grocery store chicken with the skin on (high omega-6), so it was likely inflammation. I'm just sticking with Vitex for the low progesterone now. I increased the dose till I got an energy boost like I had with Maca, now I'm slowly backing off because I don't think I need that much.

My supplement list is absurd, most of the time. It's been tapering off since I don't need anything to keep my YI symptoms at bay now. I'm about to add a B-complex, however.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).