Page 45 of 209 FirstFirst ... 3543444546475595145 ... LastLast

Thread: The "Eat More (or Moar) Fat" January Challenge page 45

Earthy Mama is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal123 View Post
    Just a random thought and I've had a fever for 4 days so bear with me if it's a dumb question. Does anyone worry that eating such a high percentage of fat that they may not consume enough essential nutrients, particularly phytonutrients and others that are escaping my foggy brain. For instance when I plugged in my numbers I should consume about 1100 cal in fat and only 300 in other foods. I think it was 124 in carbs. vegetables may be low cal but can I get the most benefit over the long haul from such a balance. I hope this makes sense, I'm not sure I am making sense to myself right now.
    Where did you do this at?
    Earthy Mama's Journal

"Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food" ~ Hippocrates

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    Well according to My fitness pal I am a little over on everything and yet I am only over by 11 cals. They say 1889 my calcs say 2026. grrrr.
    Paula Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    Just a random thought and I've had a fever for 4 days so bear with me if it's a dumb question. Does anyone worry that eating such a high percentage of fat that they may not consume enough essential nutrients, particularly phytonutrients and others that are escaping my foggy brain. For instance when I plugged in my numbers I should consume about 1100 cal in fat and only 300 in other foods. I think it was 124 in carbs. vegetables may be low cal but can I get the most benefit over the long haul from such a balance. I hope this makes sense, I'm not sure I am making sense to myself right now.
    This is why I recommend that people follow the Macro proportions in the PB book first. I am eating maybe 2 small servings of veg per day and that is it, but I have tried the lower fat higher carb (for veg) combos and it just didn't control my binge eating disorder. For me this is a move of last resort. (There is some research that says vegetable and fruit based nutrients are not a necessity. Not trying to start an arguement- I'm not even sure where I stand on that issue.)

Example:I am 45 and 5'10"tall. On HFLC I am eating about 1900 cals 75%f (157g) 20% p (94g) and 5%c (23g)

In the PB book Mark says calculate protein first (.7-1g per pound of lean body mass, for me 100-143g). Then decide on carb level (between 50 and 150 for optimal wt loss, my avg. 75g)
    So 400-572 cals protein (25-31% cals)
    200-600cals carb (11%-32% cals)
    *If I subtract that from the same 1900 cals, that leaves me with 1028-1200cals for fat (114-133g) the fat percentage here is closer to 60%. Still much higher than CW. This works fine for a lot of people.

***Hope I didn't confuse the hell out of anyone.
    Last edited by Pebbles67; 01-06-2013 at 12:46 PM.
    Paula Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    I don't think it's an issue... some days I eat what I feel like is a boat load of veg.
    That is a boat load for me, and I'll be the first to admit that I have food volume issues... as in I sometimes struggle to eat large volumes and eat enough. It is what it is.

But still... there are plenty of low carb green veggies that you can eat 5 servings of a day for minimal calories and still get plenty of fat and protein.

Some days I have a veg pigout.

This HFLC thing isn't really new for me or just a short term thing... I'm pushing the fat a bit higher for a little while and letting the veg slip a little, but for a week or two that won't hurt anything. And I'm sure that in that time I'll have a couple of days where I eat less meat and fall face first into some creamed greens or something like that. If you add less cream sauce you can eat MORE of the greens before you get too full. Thus... lotsa veggies.

I actually eat pretty HFLC all the time due to a neurological issue. It helps my brain function better... so I'm mostly just doing my regular thing here with a slight twist towards higher fat to see how I feel that way.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    I am still eating veggies. I am, at least currently, doing a net carb type of LC because my IBD likes it better that way. I eat a whole avocado for lunch along with some celery and or jicama, and a BAS (mixed greens, bell pepper, mushrooms, cucumber, nuts and seeds with olive oil and vinegar) with a protein source for dinner. Seriously eat more veggies than most of the people on the planet, so nope not worried.

Hey Paula, the MFP recalculates your "goal" calories depending on your activity level if it is syncing with a pedometer (mine syncs with my fitbit). I usually ignore the goals they put down and have just memorized mine. Also, with rounding up in the grams of the macros sometimes the calories don't work out.
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 5:2 -2 day fast diet with real food every day

RMS123 is offline Senior Member
    Actually, that did/does cross my mind. But, I think you have to think about what you are eating. If you are getting your fat from things like bone broth, liver/other organ meats, fatty fish and other meats, fats from good-sourced animals, and a sprinkling of nuts and other things, then I think you are getting a lot. I also try to make my veggie carbs count!

I have a LOT that I can improve, but here's how my daily nutrients shake out for today (as an example), around 1300 calories (57 g protein; 23 g carbs):
    RDA % RDA
    Vitamin A 4,985.20 mcg 700 712
    Vitamin A 16,815.30 IU -- --
    Vitamin B6 1.4 mg 1.3 106
    Vitamin B12 10.9 mcg 2.4 455
    Vitamin C 104.3 mg 75 139
    Vitamin D 0.44 mcg 5 9
    Vitamin D 17.5 IU -- --
    Vitamin E 2.1 mg 15 14
    Vitamin E 3.1 IU -- --
    RDA % RDA
    Calcium 171.2 mg 1,000.00 17
    Cholesterol 463.9 mg -- --
    Copper 0.93 mg 0.9 103
    Iron 9.7 mg 18 54
    Magnesium 143.9 mg 320 45
    Manganese 2 mg 1.8 112
    Niacin 10.1 mg 14 72
    RDA % RDA
    Pant. Acid 5.5 mg 5 111
    Phosphorus 664 mg 700 95
    Potassium1,608.40 mg 4,700.00 34
    Riboflav 1.4 mg 1.1 124
    Selenium 82.6 mcg 55 150
    Sodium1,570.30 mg 1,500.00 105
    Thiamin 1.1 mg 1.1 98
    Water 512.2 g -- --
    Zinc 10.1 mg 8 126

For the most part, right around or over 100% (there are a few deficiencies, but these change each day, as I try to get some variety).

At 1300 calories, I am for 52 g protein (208 calories); 20 g carbs (80 calories); and 114 g fat (1026 calories).

Hope that helps
    -- Ruth

tomi is offline Senior Member
    All I know is, Mark says we can live completely without carbs if we have to - so there ya go! But, I do eat veggies every day too. Usually in the form of a stirfry or roasted - and always a large variety mixed together. Rarely do I do only one veggie, unless its sweet potato or mashed cauliflower.
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Weight goals:
    Highest weight: 216
    Current weight: 189 (7-16-14)
    Goal weight: 140

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles67 View Post
    EMF Report Sunday is my official weigh in day. I've lost 9 lbs and 5 inches since January 1st, but remember that most of that weight was probably water from poor eating over the holidays. I am still 5 lbs over my xmas eve weight.
    Wow great! You are doing great, that 5 lbs and more will be gone before you know it!

Quote Originally Posted by NZ primal Gwamma View Post
    Monday morning weigh in
    2 weeks ago I weighed 83kg (183lbs). I put on 2 kgs and took that off over the course of the last two weeks - so not so great with the scale
    however....the measurements have moved - Yay!

WEIGHT = 83 Kg (183 lbs)
    BUST = 37"
    WAIST = 31"
    HIPS = 39"
    THIGHS = 23"

WEIGHT = 83kg
    BUST = 36"
    WAIST = 29"
    HIPS = 38"
    THIGHS = 22.5"

I think me might keep doing this for another week !!! and I havn't had any wine/alcohol for three nights !!! woop - woop
    Great, measurements going down is still awesome!

No I am not worried about that just yet. I am currently eating almost no veg, but I feel awesome, but I won't always do that. Carbs really affect me losing weight.

I realised today is not one week, but tomorrow is, so official weigh in tomorrow.
    But scales have gone down, so happy to see so far.

My hunger is completely gone, but I am just going with it. I only had BP coffee, and coffee with HWC yesterday, and so far the same today. It is so bizarre to not feel hunger, but I am not going to do anything about it, I want to eat only when I need to.
    Has anyone done any longer kinda fast (i say kinda due to the BP coffee and HWC)? How did you feel during it?

tomi is offline Senior Member
    Okay - I've done some reading on nutritional ketosis today and I have to wonder if I am still eating too much protein and carbs. But if I eat more fat than I have been I suffer the intestinal issues. What to do? I don't know what is happening with my weight since I'm trying to avoid the scales until this coming friday. I feel really good - barely ever hungry. I've eaten only pork rinds and a little homemade sour cream dip today - so I'm sure my fat level is really high! I'm feeling lighter and slimmer........ lets hope my feelings translate into a good result on the scale on friday!
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Weight goals:
    Highest weight: 216
    Current weight: 189 (7-16-14)
    Goal weight: 140

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    You have no gall bladder right Tomi?