Page 33 of 209 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383133 ... LastLast

Thread: The "Eat More (or Moar) Fat" January Challenge page 33

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Avocados, nationalities, squatty walks.

Avocado in scrambled eggs makes a mundane dish creamy and dreamy. Also, avocado right out of the skin with a teaspoon of balsamic vinegar in each dent that the seed leaves behind. Avocado blended with some half and half and poured over baked chicken breasts or thighs is fantastic.

Pure Sicilian here as far as the eye can see. Just give me lots of fish (swimmers and shell) and lemons and I'm a happy camper.

Squatty walks. So I've been thinking about functional movements lately. You want to be able to sprint to get away from a predator, also pulling one's self up into a tree would help with that (maybe. I'm not convinced that most natural predators couldn't climb right up into that tree with you). And you need to be able to walk long distances and squat to forage for food. Also, in modern terms, I don't want to be an "I've fallen and I can't get up," senior when I get there.

So, (I think) I invented squatty walks. They're pretty much what they sound like. I lost a lot of my flexibility after the fall I took last March by babying my right ankle and left knee. So, flexibility is my goal for 2013, and I'd like to be able to go from one end of my home to the other doing a squatty walk. I do regular body weight squats, but adding the walking is an eye opener for my lazy self.

Thank you for the recipe ideas! Those walks sound like the "duck walk" they did at my son's wrestling practice. They get to a squat and start walking, but without the weights. it's very difficult to do.

Quote Originally Posted by NZ primal Gwamma View Post
    This topic fascinates me. I am of the opinion that after thousands and thousands of years - how would I know if I have any african/ hispanic/asian/polynesian blood ????? I am white in the winter/olive in the summer skinned, ski ramp nose, punga stump legs etc..... Who is to say that 40 generations ago, my line of peoples was a dark skinned lithe people ????
    Anyway - I just find it fascinating, that just because I look like a Norman now, is that where my line of people came from ??????
    Sorry - quite deep for this hour of the day !!! LOL

A lot of people spend time at Ancestry.com looking up their lineage. I don't because I don't have time or the mental desire right now (too many other things I want to accomplish first), but I imagine this could help you make that determination.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

geostump is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    That used to scare me too Geo, then I went to CrossFit, and was able to do pullups with bands (that is scary, cos if you let go of the bar with your foot in a band - . But I did get better at it. I miss CrossFit, and will go back some day for sure.
    Right now I am sticking with walking at least 5 km each day, I did make it to 29 km this week (there was a few shorter walks in there).
    First 5 days of eating moar fat, and ive lost 1 kg yeah! And my waist is down 4 cm already.
    Currently am eating 2 x BP coffees, and a larger dinner, when I checked I was at over 2000 calories, 70% fat, 20 % protein and 10 % carb (not quite actually on the carbs I think). I feel amazing. I feel like ive woken up from months of sleep, and I actually cleaned my house yesterday

Sounds like everyone is doing pretty well.

Geo, do you have access to a gym or barbells? You could just do similar to starting strength (squats, pushups, deadlifts, and overhead press). I will be starting this again soon.
    I tried CrossFit a couple of years ago and that was almost too much for me. I have no gym access, too expensive right now. I do have weights and workout out at home. I just have dumbbells. I don't have a lot of room at my house wo I try to keep it as minimal as possible. This is why kettleballs look enticing cause they take up minimal room.
    Georgette

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Maybe you could also do things like pushups against your kitchen bench sometimes when you walk past, and some air squats. Stuff like that? Anything is better than nothing CrossFit is pretty hard core. I was doing it 5 days a week because I loved it so much, and giving it everything, so of course i got injured (was still over 200 lbs then), I wasn't listening to my body.

geostump is online now Senior Member
    I fall into the German, British, Irish and Native American group. Course, most of my lineage has been here since the early to mid 1700's so I am considered an American except for my maternal grandmother being first gen German in the 1890's.
    Georgette

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    So far simply using grassfed beef tallow in my fairly high carb, high protein meals is making me feel much more satisfied than either trying to be lower fat or using other fats like olive oil, avocados or butter. I'm hoping this means that one can achieve satiety, mastery over appetite, weight loss and improved mental and physical health just by switching the type of fat eaten rather than the macro proportions.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    What kind of things are you all eating in a day?
    I think ill switch from the BP coffee to some other type of high fat meal, ive been trying to give up coffee for over a year LOL. Although I do feel pretty damn good right now.
    How would you fatten up a can of tuna besides homemade mayo? Or do you think that fat is enough?

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Duck walks! Thank you, Jenn. I'll happily give up the notion that I invented these to be able to call them something other than squatty walks. LOL. It probably never occurred to me because right now I certainly don't resemble a duck. Although I'm amazed at how much improvement has happened in 10 days, I still am very graceless and swear while I'm doing them. Nothing like a pretty duck.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

tomi is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jenn26point2 View Post
    I moved to the couch last night b/c my husband was snoring and wouldn't/couldn't stop. He thinks his snoring is getting worse b/c he is getting sick. He has agreed to increase his Vitamin C consumption and drink some Kill Everything tea. Hopefully, if I remember correctly, I can get some Tazo calm at Walmart tonight.
    Get him one of these, Jenn! Works great on my hubby and I am sleeping all night without his snoring waking me up!

https://puresleep.com/s30/homepage.p...FaN_QgodLHwA4Q
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Weight goals:
    Highest weight: 216
    Current weight: 189 (7-16-14)
    Goal weight: 140

GoJenGo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    What kind of things are you all eating in a day?
    I think ill switch from the BP coffee to some other type of high fat meal, ive been trying to give up coffee for over a year LOL. Although I do feel pretty damn good right now.
    How would you fatten up a can of tuna besides homemade mayo? Or do you think that fat is enough?
    I use avocado! A little salt and pepper, sometimes even garlic powder.
    Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

GoJenGo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    So far simply using grassfed beef tallow in my fairly high carb, high protein meals is making me feel much more satisfied than either trying to be lower fat or using other fats like olive oil, avocados or butter. I'm hoping this means that one can achieve satiety, mastery over appetite, weight loss and improved mental and physical health just by switching the type of fat eaten rather than the macro proportions.

I've noticed something similar recently, SB. Although coconut will probably always be my go-to, I can't believe how much more animal fat, (ideally from gf beef) satisfies me than other fats - especially like crappy PUFAs in seeds, nuts, nut butters, etc. Actually, those make me more hungry - nuts are deadly! Macadamia nuts are an exception, but still dangerous. I've also realized over the years how achy I feel with increased PUFA intake.

Switching fats sounds like a better bet than tweaking macros altogether. Hope it works for you.
    Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

- Robert Louis Stevenson