Page 32 of 209 FirstFirst ... 2230313233344282132 ... LastLast

Thread: The "Eat More (or Moar) Fat" January Challenge page 32

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles67 View Post
    It make sense that different people would be successful with different ways of eating within the paleo framework. I was always frustrated that the more balanced carb approach never worked for me. It seems to work great for people like Mark.
    I think it's in Practical Paleo where this is talked about... something about because of our genetic descent (German, African, Asian, etc) gears us toward different ideal methods of eating. For instance, someone with Inuit descent would be hard wired to thrive on a high fat, zero carb diet. Someone with European descent would require a different breakdown of fats, carbs, and protein, and someone with African descent a little bit different yet because their genetic make-ups were built on what was available in the region in which they lived. Now, because we're all mixed up now and our 'races' are combining (for instance, most Americans are "mix breeds", if you will) our genetic make-up is different than that of our ancestors, so finding out what truly works for us will be a big more difficult. For me, I've got German, Irish, and I think Dutch descent in my line, so I won't necessarily thrive on what the original Germans would have b/c I have Irish and Dutch needs as well. It made complete sense to me when I read it.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by geostump View Post
    I have a pull up bar, I just can't even attempt an Australian style one. It's mostly my fear of trusting my body because I am not athletic. For example, I can do knee pushups until the cows come home, but I can't do a full one. I won't go down all the way. I can accept that and move on with my life. It's really no big deal to me. I just know I get bored with workouts easily so I need a lot of variety. I'm the same with a lot of things in life.
    I could't even do knee push-ups when I started! For the pull-up bar I started out using 2 feet on the chair like in Mark's video. Now I can do 5 chin-ups, I don't know if I'll ever be able to pull-ups though. PB fitness isn't very exciting so you may loose interest. For me most of the other fitness routines I tried seemed to be for people that were in better shape, more coordinated,flexible than I was. I also like the way he clearly defines the progression, it's satisfying to be able measure my progress.

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    I like to measure progress and advance beyond what I used to be able to do... if I don't see progress, I get bored and move on.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by geostump View Post
    I'd have to get kettleballs for that first. I may be able to get some over the weekend. I saw some at the grocery last week that was a 3 pack for $24.99 so I may go back and get them. At least something to mix them up. I can sort of do burpees. Never heard of star jumping jacks though.
    Geo - you can improvise to begin with. Maybe a sand filled 2ltr plastic milk container ? Not always easy to hold, but it will give you an idea if you enjoy it or not, with minimal outlay. Star jumps are pretty much....bending down to the floor and jump up high as you can like a star....legs and arms pointing like a cross. They don't sound hard - but do 10 in a row, and you can feel it !!!
    If you do buy kettlebells, it is important to check online the correct form. Actually this is REALLY important !

Quote Originally Posted by jenn26point2 View Post
    For me, I've got German, Irish, and I think Dutch descent in my line, so I won't necessarily thrive on what the original Germans would have b/c I have Irish and Dutch needs as well. It made complete sense to me when I read it.
    This topic fascinates me. I am of the opinion that after thousands and thousands of years - how would I know if I have any african/ hispanic/asian/polynesian blood ????? I am white in the winter/olive in the summer skinned, ski ramp nose, punga stump legs etc..... Who is to say that 40 generations ago, my line of peoples was a dark skinned lithe people ????
    Anyway - I just find it fascinating, that just because I look like a Norman now, is that where my line of people came from ??????
    Sorry - quite deep for this hour of the day !!! LOL
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    +1 for PBF. Mark has several different levels of each exercise and you only need to do it a few times a week. I did it without pullups due to lack of a bar.

JudyMac is offline Member
    Finally got to do my rowing...dressed as nanook of the north.

a.m. 40 minutes easy aerobic zone 2.
    p.m. Chin ups, seated row (gym), plank.
    2 x dog walkies.

Food was good and I feel less bloated today, but not really hungry. Highlight of the day was lamb and pumpkin soup which tasted fabulous in the cold weather we're having.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Avocados, nationalities, squatty walks.

Avocado in scrambled eggs makes a mundane dish creamy and dreamy. Also, avocado right out of the skin with a teaspoon of balsamic vinegar in each dent that the seed leaves behind. Avocado blended with some half and half and poured over baked chicken breasts or thighs is fantastic.

Pure Sicilian here as far as the eye can see. Just give me lots of fish (swimmers and shell) and lemons and I'm a happy camper.

Squatty walks. So I've been thinking about functional movements lately. You want to be able to sprint to get away from a predator, also pulling one's self up into a tree would help with that (maybe. I'm not convinced that most natural predators couldn't climb right up into that tree with you). And you need to be able to walk long distances and squat to forage for food. Also, in modern terms, I don't want to be an "I've fallen and I can't get up," senior when I get there.

So, (I think) I invented squatty walks. They're pretty much what they sound like. I lost a lot of my flexibility after the fall I took last March by babying my right ankle and left knee. So, flexibility is my goal for 2013, and I'd like to be able to go from one end of my home to the other doing a squatty walk. I do regular body weight squats, but adding the walking is an eye opener for my lazy self.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

geostump is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    I could't even do knee push-ups when I started! For the pull-up bar I started out using 2 feet on the chair like in Mark's video. Now I can do 5 chin-ups, I don't know if I'll ever be able to pull-ups though. PB fitness isn't very exciting so you may loose interest. For me most of the other fitness routines I tried seemed to be for people that were in better shape, more coordinated,flexible than I was. I also like the way he clearly defines the progression, it's satisfying to be able measure my progress.
    Part of my problem and I'm not too sure if many people feel the same but I have a fear of heights that standing on a chair to even attempt this scares the living you know what out of me. That's also why I can't go all the way down on a pushup. I can only get a quarter of the way down and not go down further. I don't know if this is a weight issue or my head. It could also be that I've done more weightlifting than bodyweight in the past so that could be part of it as well. I prefer weight lifting to bodyweight. I've seen more progress in the past with weightlifting. When I tried PBF a few years ago, it bored me to tears.
    Georgette

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    That used to scare me too Geo, then I went to CrossFit, and was able to do pullups with bands (that is scary, cos if you let go of the bar with your foot in a band - . But I did get better at it. I miss CrossFit, and will go back some day for sure.
    Right now I am sticking with walking at least 5 km each day, I did make it to 29 km this week (there was a few shorter walks in there).
    First 5 days of eating moar fat, and ive lost 1 kg yeah! And my waist is down 4 cm already.
    Currently am eating 2 x BP coffees, and a larger dinner, when I checked I was at over 2000 calories, 70% fat, 20 % protein and 10 % carb (not quite actually on the carbs I think). I feel amazing. I feel like ive woken up from months of sleep, and I actually cleaned my house yesterday

Sounds like everyone is doing pretty well.

Geo, do you have access to a gym or barbells? You could just do similar to starting strength (squats, pushups, deadlifts, and overhead press). I will be starting this again soon.

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Oh I am very short 5 f 2, and have around 100 lbs to lose. But I swear it will be finally this year!
    I have been fat for 13 years. (as soon as I left school it started piling on).
    My eldest starts big school in a month, and I don't want to be the fat mum dropping him off But unfortunately 100 lbs aren't going any where that fast, but ill do what I can.