Page 31 of 209 FirstFirst ... 2129303132334181131 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 310 of 2084

Thread: The "Eat More (or Moar) Fat" January Challenge page 31

  1. #301
    Pebbles67's Avatar
    Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Mid-Hudson Valley New York
    Posts
    9,188
    Primal Fuel
    HFLC report I am going strong on Day 3. I feel alert and am getting a lot done at work again today. I have started setting my alarm 1/2 an hour later to try and get more sleep. I feel there is a huge mental difference between getting up at 4:30am and getting up at 5.

    I didn't weigh this morning, but boy did I want to.

    Big test for HFLC, that TOTM is coming. I am in the throes of PMS right now. (Oooh lots of abbreviations.)

    The steady energy is great. I worked all day yesterday, went to the gym, did HW with my kids, read and played a little on my computer before bed. I was suddenly sleepy at 10pm and slept pretty well except for interruptions by my husband and youngest son.

  2. #302
    merryish's Avatar
    merryish is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    158
    Wow, this thread is busy! =D I'll join the challenge - I don't track anything but my weight by the numbers, but I do want to get back in ketosis and stay there for a while, so this sounds like the right place for me!

    My biggest diet challenge lately has been trying to fit my eating into my budget. Before December, I was eating a ton of meat -- all types, most of it the cleanest of the clean convenience-cut grass-fed etc. It was SPENDY. I also wasn't getting any vegetables at all, really.

    So to add to my nutrient profile and to stop subtracting so much from my checkbook, I've started trying to rebalance. I'm eating more veggies - asparagus, kale, spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, onion, mushrooms, all cooked in butter, ghee, coconut milk, or bacon grease. Also more eggs, more bacon, more ground beef, more pot roasts/stews/soups, some liverwurst (it's the only way I can stand liver). What I'm taking out is grass-fed steaks, grass-fed steak tips, a lot of the cheeses I used to eat, organic free range chickens... the most expensive stuff, basically. I was eating expensive meat (and not much else) at every meal - not a recipe for financial success.

    It's actually working out pretty well for me. I'm able to stay at a high fat percentage, spend less money, get more food variety, and still enjoy eating and cooking as much as ever.

    So yay, I'm really glad I found this thread! I'll leave this recipe as my entry fee - it's paleo mushroom soup, made with onion, beef broth and coconut milk, and it's DIVINE: Mom’s Mushroom Soup | virginia is for hunter-gatherers

  3. #303
    jenn26point2's Avatar
    jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    7,732
    I moved to the couch last night b/c my husband was snoring and wouldn't/couldn't stop. He thinks his snoring is getting worse b/c he is getting sick. He has agreed to increase his Vitamin C consumption and drink some Kill Everything tea. Hopefully, if I remember correctly, I can get some Tazo calm at Walmart tonight.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)




  4. #304
    NZ primal Gwamma's Avatar
    NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    4,184
    Jackie, thrilled that the surgery went well, all the best for your recovery. make sure you keep warm if you aren't doing much. It sounds cold over there !
    Georgette - could you possibly fit a small inside routine into your workout that incorporates kettle bells, or something similar ?
    I want to conquer one that I saw posted on another thread last year - and it went something like this

    20 kettlebell swings - 1 burpee
    18 kettlebell swings - 2 burpee
    16 kettlebell swings - 3 burpee
    14 kettlebell swings - 4 burpee
    12 kettlebell swings - 5 burpee
    10 kettlebell swings - 6 burpee
    8 kettlebell swings - 7 burpee
    6 kettlebell swings - 8 burpee
    4 kettlebell swings - 9 burpee
    2 kettlebell swings - 10 burpee

    I absolutely hate burpees, so they could be substituted with star jumps or something easier to begin with. I must confess that I haven't managed the whole routine yet with my 20kg kettlebells - however I am working on it.

    I have managed to lose 2kg over the last few days, so back to my starting weight from two weeks ago. I cannot believe how eating bad choices and combining bad choices has made me blow up like a balloon, and put on the pounds. I also cannot believe how eating 'clean' makes me feel so alive and full of energy. I am convinced it is the fat content.
    Anyway I am off for a run. Have a great day all
    G
    Last edited by NZ primal Gwamma; 01-03-2013 at 09:20 AM.
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

    ...small steps....

  5. #305
    athomeontherange's Avatar
    athomeontherange is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    7,455
    Quote Originally Posted by merryish View Post
    Wow, this thread is busy! =D I'll join the challenge - I don't track anything but my weight by the numbers, but I do want to get back in ketosis and stay there for a while, so this sounds like the right place for me!

    My biggest diet challenge lately has been trying to fit my eating into my budget. Before December, I was eating a ton of meat -- all types, most of it the cleanest of the clean convenience-cut grass-fed etc. It was SPENDY. I also wasn't getting any vegetables at all, really.

    So to add to my nutrient profile and to stop subtracting so much from my checkbook, I've started trying to rebalance. I'm eating more veggies - asparagus, kale, spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, onion, mushrooms, all cooked in butter, ghee, coconut milk, or bacon grease. Also more eggs, more bacon, more ground beef, more pot roasts/stews/soups, some liverwurst (it's the only way I can stand liver). What I'm taking out is grass-fed steaks, grass-fed steak tips, a lot of the cheeses I used to eat, organic free range chickens... the most expensive stuff, basically. I was eating expensive meat (and not much else) at every meal - not a recipe for financial success.

    It's actually working out pretty well for me. I'm able to stay at a high fat percentage, spend less money, get more food variety, and still enjoy eating and cooking as much as ever.

    So yay, I'm really glad I found this thread! I'll leave this recipe as my entry fee - it's paleo mushroom soup, made with onion, beef broth and coconut milk, and it's DIVINE: Mom’s Mushroom Soup | virginia is for hunter-gatherers
    ohmygosh that soup looks devine!! Making this VERY VERY soon!!
    Karin


    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

    What am I doing? Depends on the day.

  6. #306
    geostump's Avatar
    geostump is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Ohio, its not the heart of it all
    Posts
    9,954
    Quote Originally Posted by NZ primal Gwamma View Post
    Jackie, thrilled that the surgery went well, all the best for your recovery. make sure you keep warm if you aren't doing much. It sounds cold over there !
    Georgette - could you possibly fit a small inside routine into your workout that incorporates kettle bells, or something similar ?
    I want to conquer one that I saw posted on another thread last year - and it went something like this

    20 kettlebell swings - 1 burpee
    18 kettlebell swings - 2 burpee
    16 kettlebell swings - 3 burpee
    14 kettlebell swings - 4 burpee
    12 kettlebell swings - 5 burpee
    10 kettlebell swings - 6 burpee
    8 kettlebell swings - 7 burpee
    6 kettlebell swings - 8 burpee
    4 kettlebell swings - 9 burpee
    2 kettlebell swings - 10 burpee

    I absolutely hate burpees, so they could be substituted with star jumps or something easier to begin with. I must confess that I haven't managed the whole routine yet with my 20kg kettlebells - however I am working on it.

    I have managed to lose 2kg over the last few days, so back to my starting weight from two weeks ago. I cannot believe how eating bad choices and combining bad choices has made me blow up like a balloon, and put on the pounds. I also cannot believe how eating 'clean' makes me feel so alive and full of energy. I am convinced it is the fat content.
    Anyway I am off for a run. Have a great day all
    G
    I'd have to get kettleballs for that first. I may be able to get some over the weekend. I saw some at the grocery last week that was a 3 pack for $24.99 so I may go back and get them. At least something to mix them up. I can sort of do burpees. Never heard of star jumping jacks though.
    Georgette

  7. #307
    Kymma's Avatar
    Kymma is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Memphis, TN
    Posts
    639
    I'm back online and with you all. Time to start tracking and get back on the reservation. I'm excited.

    I ordered this cool Burst Training DVD 9http://burstfit.com/) and a coworker and I are going to do it on MWF at 10am. She's a former NBA dancer so she's fit. I figure she will be a good workout partner.

    He's got some good recipes on his website too. Recipes DrAxe.com

    So one of my coworkers is a nutritionist and worked for Atkins. She told me about a study done by Dr. Cross that found that about a 1/3 of the population needs a high fat, high protein diet and that one day there will be a genetic test to show it. We are cutting edge ladies, because the true test is if we begin to achieve optimal health from this style of eating.

    I hope all of you are excited. Think of all the small changes we have made over the last couple of years. I really feel like this is a fine tuning for me and that I will see successes this year that I haven't before.

  8. #308
    Pebbles67's Avatar
    Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Mid-Hudson Valley New York
    Posts
    9,188
    Welcome back Kymma!
    It make sense that different people would be successful with different ways of eating within the paleo framework. I was always frustrated that the more balanced carb approach never worked for me. It seems to work great for people like Mark.
    Paula Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

  9. #309
    Urban Forager's Avatar
    Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    2,971
    Geostump What about doing the PB Fitness? I really like that you can start at any level and work your way up. All you need to buy is a pull-up bar for about $30. I started last year doing wall push-ups and now I am able to do 10 full push-ups. I've never been athletic so I really appreciate the way Mark breaks the exercises down so even a wimp like me can start doing them.

  10. #310
    geostump's Avatar
    geostump is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Ohio, its not the heart of it all
    Posts
    9,954
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    Geostump What about doing the PB Fitness? I really like that you can start at any level and work your way up. All you need to buy is a pull-up bar for about $30. I started last year doing wall push-ups and now I am able to do 10 full push-ups. I've never been athletic so I really appreciate the way Mark breaks the exercises down so even a wimp like me can start doing them.
    I have a pull up bar, I just can't even attempt an Australian style one. It's mostly my fear of trusting my body because I am not athletic. For example, I can do knee pushups until the cows come home, but I can't do a full one. I won't go down all the way. I can accept that and move on with my life. It's really no big deal to me. I just know I get bored with workouts easily so I need a lot of variety. I'm the same with a lot of things in life.
    Georgette

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •