Page 21 of 209 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171121 ... LastLast

Thread: The "Eat More (or Moar) Fat" January Challenge page 21

Annlee is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by TaliaK View Post
    Thanks so much for this! We are doing a weight loss challenge here at work until March and the "wellness coach" is using one of these scales for all of our info. I've saved your explaination to give him after the next weigh in.

A huge majority of the participants also got lectured at the first weigh in for having a low hydration % (he wants us at least 50% according to the scale).
    - Robin
    If it helps, our scale is a Tanita (a popular brand for that sort of thing) and I dredged through Tanita's website looking for papers on their methodology. They basically ran multivariate regressions - I read the papers. A multivariate regression takes the form:

y = b0 + b1*x1 + b2*x2 + b3*x3 + ...

In this case, you input height, age, and enable/disable a factor for athletic (which they define as 60+ minutes of exercise per day). The height and age can apply to the organ mass, the athlete setting increases the coefficient applied to muscle and bone, thereby decreasing fat mass on the assumption that athletes are more muscular for a given weight than the average individual. Given what we've all seen as the skinny fat person, if they walk an hour a day they would qualify as "athlete" for this purpose.

If you really want to know fat%, the only reliable measure is DEXA. I'm thinking of getting one ... I figure in 3-4 months I'll have persuaded the other half ....

athomeontherange is offline Senior Member
    Geo.. like you if I am not better by Tuesday I am headed to the doc's. The coughing and wheezing is unbearable at times. I sound like a dang smoker. However, I am thankful I do not have the upset stomach part of it.

I am still on plan and am doing good food wise. I look at these days before Jan 1st as trial runs..lol So far so good.. not many mishaps.
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

RMS123 is offline Senior Member
    I'm considering these December days trial runs as well
    -- Ruth

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    I think I'm considering these last December days as a last hooray... I've been eating like crap all day!! Ugh!
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

geostump is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by athomeontherange View Post
    Geo.. like you if I am not better by Tuesday I am headed to the doc's. The coughing and wheezing is unbearable at times. I sound like a dang smoker. However, I am thankful I do not have the upset stomach part of it.
    I did end up at urgent care and have a mild upper respiratory infection. I'm on the beloved prednisone(for my asthma). Since that causes me to want more food than usual, I am restarting EMF in the morning. When I cough, I sound like a damn smoker and that's even healthy. I've lived with smokers all my life so yeah.
    Georgette

athomeontherange is offline Senior Member
    oh yeah.. love that prednisone.. I am apprehensive about going in because I KNOW they will put me on it. The down size is I eat and eat the plus size is I am like a worker bee on crack.. always on the go..lol Feel better geo!!
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

can I jump in here? been stalking your posts (all 21 pages worth haha) and I think its great!! got some more inspiration and ideas for upping my own fats.

i'm 5'7" 155 lbs, heaviest I've ever been, and looking to get back down to 130-135. I'm vegetarian primal with unlimited eggs and lots of full fat dairy. Since I don't eat meat, I do the occasional non-primal muscle milk shake but other than that I rely on lots and lots of fat.

also, I'm a broke college student so I don't get to have fancy organic eggs or organic dairy most of the time but I'm saving up and do what I can!

dragonjax is offline Senior Member
    So I've been having more fat - adding cheese to my eggs, having a handful of raw macadamia nuts, enjoying the sour cream and guac and cheese with the taco bowl & kale chips (recipe on MDA - it's pretty awesome, and my family loves it). I haven't stopped drinking wine yet - today's my last day for a while - and I've been enjoying my Haagen Daz full-fat ice cream (with allllllll that sugar) far too much. But starting tomorrow, no more wine, no more ice cream. Still not exercising (ugh) because of the torn ACL, but tomorrow I will meet the PT. I hope I get lots of approved exercises, along with the ones I need to strengthen the knee. Fingers crossed I'll be on the exercise bike soon!

Tomorrow: measurements and scale!

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    tomi, giving up all alcohol? Good luck!

I am on vaca, so getting fat is easy! Keeping out of the sugar-so far so good, keeping out of the alcohol-not so much, but so far my only indulgence.

I am just going to do the best I can and not fret too much, while on vaca and after. I have been working on some plan for over 40 years now, I am tired of fretting over it.
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 5:2 -2 day fast diet with real food every day

tomi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by demuralist View Post
    tomi, giving up all alcohol? Good luck!
    Yup........ its the only way I'm going to get this weight off by my birthday - July 25. I told the hubs last night - he said he would also - except during our vaca in feb - I told him I'd do that if he would agree with me for the rest of the year - or at least until the weight is gone.

Yesterday while watching the football game (Oregon State) I made us a perfectly primal spread to munch on! Pork rinds dipped in crab dip made with cream cheese, carrot sticks dipped in garlic sour cream, deviled eggs made with bacon and hubbys homemade jerky! It was awesome and I could eat all I wanted without any guilt! I didn't eat too much - all that fat filled me up really fast!

So Tuesday we all go strict primal - LCHF! One more day to indulge in stuff we won't be having in a while! Enjoy! I have a piece of cheesecake waiting for me to eat on New Years Eve.
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Weight goals:
    Highest weight: 216
    Current weight: 189 (7-16-14)
    Goal weight: 140