Page 20 of 209 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070120 ... LastLast

Thread: The "Eat More (or Moar) Fat" January Challenge page 20

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by JackieKessler View Post
    Here's a dumb question: the body-fat percentage measurement on my spiffy scale is nonsense, right? I shouldn't even give it a second thought - right? Because even though my measurements have been slowly moving downward and my weight has moved down, my BF% has been inching up. (Granted, I've also been a lump due to the zero exercise I've been getting due to bum knee pre-surgery, so maybe my BF **has** been going up.)
    I was going to say don't bother b/c from what I've read, they only measure half your body (stand on scales only measure lower body, hand held only measures upper), but I like Annlee's explanation more. I do my body fat measurements using a tape measure and the Army formula. It's flawed as well, but it's what I know and because of my time in the army and the requirements for body fat composition, I have a baseline in which to compare myself using that technique.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

dragonjax is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Annlee View Post
    We have a biometric impedance scale - stand on it and it reports your fat%, lean body mass, bone mass, etc. HOWEVER - since going low carb it is not reliable. Here's why:

Uusing impedance is based on the different degree of electrical conductivity of different tissues (specifically body fat vs all other tissues, based on the better conductivity of water and the amount of bound water in the tissues). The studies were all done on a typical diet, which contains a large amount of carbohydrate, leading to a significant amount of water in the non-fat tissues, especially the muscle tissues. One of the benefits of low carb, of course, is the shedding of all that excess bound water ... which means the electrical conductivity of the muscle mass is now reduced and so its mass will be reported to be less. The impedance (reverse of conductivity) scale then subtracts muscle mass, adjusts the implied bone mass to support that muscle mass, probably doesn't change the factor for internal organs (based on height) - and so tells you less muscle, less bone and therefore more fat.

Total mass (weight) - organ mass (essentially fixed) - muscle mass (now under-reported) - bone mass (ditto) = fat mass (over-reported)

So don't worry about it. Remember the scale is a lousy proxy for body composition, which is a fair proxy for health. Which of these is really important to you? For me it's the last one; the strength that comes along with better body composition is good, too - but actually a part of long-term health for me.
    This makes perfect sense. Thank you!

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Okay, I'm so juvenile, that when I realized the BRAT diet without the toast would be a BRA diet, I had to laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Sabine View Post
    Okay, I'm so juvenile, that when I realized the BRAT diet without the toast would be a BRA diet, I had to laugh.
    lol

dragonjax is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jenn26point2 View Post
    I was going to say don't bother b/c from what I've read, they only measure half your body (stand on scales only measure lower body, hand held only measures upper), but I like Annlee's explanation more. I do my body fat measurements using a tape measure and the Army formula. It's flawed as well, but it's what I know and because of my time in the army and the requirements for body fat composition, I have a baseline in which to compare myself using that technique.
    Thanks for this! I don't know the Army formula, but I do have my handy-dandy tape measure. I'll keep going by that - I'd like to see the inches go down on the widest part of my thighs, and I'd really like the jiggle to tighten up.

geostump is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by demuralist View Post
    Geo, I think that the point of all of this is to get to a point where we can reliably listen to the body, and when I am sick, non-fat saltines are all I can stomach. Throwing up calls for a BRAT (banana, rice, applesauce, toast) diet, or nothing at all. I am thinking about you, hope it passes quickly.
    I only threw up the one time yesterday. I really truly think that the bone broth I had was bad or my body just doesn't tolerate it. I'm able to eat without issues now. I just don't want a lot of fat right now. I'm leery towards dairy since it can exacerbate any asthma or mucous in my body so I am trying to avoid it.
    Georgette

You can google it. I found a nice spreadsheet that I use that calculates it for me when I enter my measurements.

tomi is online now Senior Member
    I was doing so good yesterday............... then I found the rum. Rum and 6 oreo cookies took down a perfectly primal day. CRAP.

4 thick sliced bacon
    3 XL eggs - fried in bacon grease
    6 oz pan fried salmon
    2 TB Guy Fieri sauce
    11 oz (raw weight) sweet potato baked with no butter

Good food - but my macros were all wrong. Dang sweet potato had 62 carbs! I finished the day with 115 carbs! and way too many calories.

Its a new day - I will do better today. I'm not buying any potatoes of any kind while I'm trying to do this LCHF thing.
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Weight goals:
    Highest weight: 216
    Current weight: 189 (7-16-14)
    Goal weight: 140

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabine View Post
    That is classic. My Dr always said BRATT - banana, rice, apples, tea and toast. I think the tannins in the tea helps with an upset stomach too - but I do like the BRA expletive !!!! LOL
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

TaliaK is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Annlee View Post
    We have a biometric impedance scale - stand on it and it reports your fat%, lean body mass, bone mass, etc. HOWEVER - since going low carb it is not reliable. Here's why:
    Thanks so much for this! We are doing a weight loss challenge here at work until March and the "wellness coach" is using one of these scales for all of our info. I've saved your explaination to give him after the next weigh in.

A huge majority of the participants also got lectured at the first weigh in for having a low hydration % (he wants us at least 50% according to the scale).

- Robin