Page 19 of 209 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969119 ... LastLast

Thread: The "Eat More (or Moar) Fat" January Challenge page 19

Sigi is offline Senior Member
    Great idea Paula - I'm in!! Will be starting on 1 Jan (because my OCD is all for significant dates, LOL).

I need this kick in the backside after the high-carb-low-paleo debacle of the past couple of weeks; my little indulgences have turned into a SAD bender.

My past attempt at a MOAR fat protocol was (a) enjoyable and satisfying, and (b) brilliant for stopping binges/cravings dead, but (c) ultimately unsuccessful for weight loss as I didn't watch my calorie intake sufficiently, and probably just didn't give it enough time. I'm hoping with a great little support group like this I'll have more success in sticking with it.

I'll be off to my favourite fancy-pants organic butcher tomorrow morning to stock up on their fabulous bacon and liver - time to get a batch of Paleobird's lovely rich pâté into the freezer!
    I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

Oscar Wilde

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    Hey Everyone, Looks like you all have been busy. Welcome to the new joiners.

Well it has been a 3.5 day binge, but I feel mentally ready to make a start. I am going to do a fat fast (90%) for three days to break the binge cycle.

Please don't be discouraged by my bingeing. I have an eating disorder and will periodically binge on any plan. LCHF has given me the best results in a long time. Hopefully, now that the holidays are ending, less junk will mean less temptation.

I am not weighing and measuring until Jan 1st. Right now I am full of binge bloat.

Lets get excited and encouraged like Tomi said!

I am proud of those of you who made it through the holidays fairly cleanly.
    Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Pebbles, your attitude is fantastic. Good luck on getting back into the groove.

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    Sabine, please post that candy recipe on our EMF recipe group!!!!! I made a new

So far so good for me. No sugar no starch. I have totally bypassed all desserts. All pies, cookies, povitica, ice cream. I am definitely eating too much though as I am eating my coconut bars and fat bombs to stay out of the sugar. But I am not going to worry about that for now, sugar and starch are out and that works for now.

I am not drinking enough either which causes puffiness in the fingers. I am feeling good though so I will be doing my best to stick with it.
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

becks83 is offline Member
    I'm going to join this on 2nd Jan when I go back to work...too many social functions before then! It's definitely time, I feel mentally ready and enthusiastic - been a bit on and off with the proper eating recently, and the last week has been an absolute joke :-/ so I'm looking forward to it! This thread is great motivation...without wishing it on anyone, I am glad to see I'm not the only one fallen off the wagon.

Good luck everyone

geostump is offline Senior Member
    I'm still sick. I barely want to eat and am lucky to eat once a day but I want 0 fat whatsoever. My body is yelling at me to eat carbs. I'm hoping that this doesn't turn into an upper respiratory infection. Bone broth seems to make it worse. I threw up after having a cup of it yesterday so I am no longer going to touch it. I dumped the whole thing out.
    Georgette

RMS123 is online now Senior Member
    Eek Geo - hope you get to feeling better soon!
    -- Ruth

Annlee is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JackieKessler View Post
    Here's a dumb question: the body-fat percentage measurement on my spiffy scale is nonsense, right? I shouldn't even give it a second thought - right? Because even though my measurements have been slowly moving downward and my weight has moved down, my BF% has been inching up. (Granted, I've also been a lump due to the zero exercise I've been getting due to bum knee pre-surgery, so maybe my BF **has** been going up.)
    We have a biometric impedance scale - stand on it and it reports your fat%, lean body mass, bone mass, etc. HOWEVER - since going low carb it is not reliable. Here's why:

Uusing impedance is based on the different degree of electrical conductivity of different tissues (specifically body fat vs all other tissues, based on the better conductivity of water and the amount of bound water in the tissues). The studies were all done on a typical diet, which contains a large amount of carbohydrate, leading to a significant amount of water in the non-fat tissues, especially the muscle tissues. One of the benefits of low carb, of course, is the shedding of all that excess bound water ... which means the electrical conductivity of the muscle mass is now reduced and so its mass will be reported to be less. The impedance (reverse of conductivity) scale then subtracts muscle mass, adjusts the implied bone mass to support that muscle mass, probably doesn't change the factor for internal organs (based on height) - and so tells you less muscle, less bone and therefore more fat.

Total mass (weight) - organ mass (essentially fixed) - muscle mass (now under-reported) - bone mass (ditto) = fat mass (over-reported)

So don't worry about it. Remember the scale is a lousy proxy for body composition, which is a fair proxy for health. Which of these is really important to you? For me it's the last one; the strength that comes along with better body composition is good, too - but actually a part of long-term health for me.

geostump is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RMS123 View Post
    Eek Geo - hope you get to feeling better soon!
    Thanks. I usually get an URI every other month, but this time its been about 4 months since my last one. I'm hoping that I've caught it in time. I've decided that if I'm not feeling any better by Tuesday, I'll probably suck it up and go to the doctor. I'm not wheezing which is a major thing for me.
    Georgette

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Geo, I think that the point of all of this is to get to a point where we can reliably listen to the body, and when I am sick, non-fat saltines are all I can stomach. Throwing up calls for a BRAT (banana, rice, applesauce, toast) diet, or nothing at all. I am thinking about you, hope it passes quickly.
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.