Results 1,551 to 1,560 of 2084

Thread: The "Eat More (or Moar) Fat" January Challenge page 156

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnegans Wake View Post
    I'm feelin' a group hug coming on!
    Awwww! <3
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

I've been stuck in the upper 180's since August. It's very frustrating. Then in October, I started getting off track with the reintroduction of what Cori calls the Russian Circus (I was on birth control that prevented such events for 2 years). I blame the hormones for my sugary needs. I gained 13 lbs between October 15ish and New Year's Day. Back to the upper 180's now, but I'd really really REALLY like to see that 184 again so I can refocus and work on the 170's.

I suspect stress is a culprit for me. I get overwhelmed easily - mostly by my kids. Most people go home from work to relax... not me. I go to work for 11 hours of relaxation (2 hour commute, plus lunch).

athomeontherange is online now Senior Member
    feeling stupid.. never heard it called the Russian Circus. My circus has left for good, good riddens!

I thought is was a cultural real circus. with awesome food...<hangs head>
    Last edited by athomeontherange; 01-24-2013 at 11:38 AM.
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

jan11 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jenn26point2 View Post
    Canio and Jan11, do either of you do heavy lifting? Heavy lifting would require more protein, I would think. The problem with protein comes in when it's NOT being used for building or repairing. So if you're not doing much in the gym, there isn't much need for protein. And any protein not used for building turns to sugar. But if you're lifting regularly, maybe you wouldn't need to reduce the protein so much?

Jan this may be what is keeping you from reaching ketosis. Do you do any kind of testing? Blood, urine? What makes you think you're NOT in ketosis? Maybe you are?

Canio/FW, very nice to see some gentlemen here.
    I don't test at all... Mostly bc I know it can be super inaccurate. I don't think I'm in NK bc I don't feel awesome. At all...

I don't lift or work out, but I do run around on my feet all day at work!

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    jan11 try drinking 1-2 cups of bouillon / day. I do one daily and sometimes 2 on heavy workout days. I swear it makes a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by athomeontherange View Post
    feeling stupid.. never heard it called the Russian Circus. My circus has left for good, good riddens!

So did I until like the 3rd time she said something about it. Then it clicked.

Quote Originally Posted by jan11 View Post
    I don't test at all... Mostly bc I know it can be super inaccurate. I don't think I'm in NK bc I don't feel awesome. At all...

I don't lift or work out, but I do run around on my feet all day at work!
    I don't feel awesome right now either. But, I stepped away from my plan last weekend and I've apparently not used up that dose of glucose yet... gotta get back to the gym.

*DING* Light bulb moment!!! Maybe that's why you haven't gotten there yet either! Maybe your current carb consumption is enough to meet your body's needs. Hit the gym a couple 3 times, then see how you feel. Maybe you'll finally use up those stores and force your body into ketosis. But don't work too hard at the gym - that can kick you out of ketosis too. Do some heavy lifting (or light lifting with many reps) and some bike riding/walking. Your powerhouse muscles can store enough glucose for 90 minutes of vigorous activity (vigorous = running). Burn that up and you should find your way to ketosis pretty easily. That's the only thing that has worked for me (not running, but making sure I hit the gym to use up what is presently available). I do the workout plan designed by Robb Wolf - body rows, squats, lunges, and then some stuff my chiro wants me to do to strengthen my glutes, the next day I'll walk 45 minutes or ride the bike/walk for a combined total of 45 minutes.

diene is offline Senior Member
    I didn't read the entire thread so I'm sorry if this has already been discussed, but do you guys do high intensity interval training (sprints) while in ketosis? Mark wrote that doing sprints while in a glycogen-depleted state can cause metabolic problems. I hate doing HIIT, but I'm a runner and the sprint intervals really help with my endurance (plus they're good for a bunch of other reasons--like increased HGH production). For this reason, I do a cyclic ketogenic-type thing where I eat very low carb on weekdays and carb-up on weekends (primal-friendly carbs only--potatoes, sweet potatoes, occasionally a bit of rice, small amounts of fruit, and wine). I do my sprints Monday morning when my muscles are flush with glycogen. Just wondering if I'd still be able to do sprints if I switched to VLC all the time?

there is a girl who has a journal called "Finally had a decent half marathon running on fat" who might be able to answer your question. I don't think she runs in ketosis, but she might still have an answer for you.

Otherwise, check out Dr. Attia's blog (www.eatingacademy.com). He can probably answer that question better than anyone.
    Last edited by jenn26point2; 01-24-2013 at 12:46 PM.

geostump is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by athomeontherange View Post

Same here. My Russian Circus is not so Russian anymore. My circus has very much sloooooowwwwed way down since August. My issues right now are in my journal. I've been fighting to get under 200 pounds for the past 6 years and everytime I get close, something happens to throw me out of whack.
    Georgette

athomeontherange is online now Senior Member
    Cori.. I swear I thought, wow.. she must have been looking forward to this circus and it must be big! OMG..LOL
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.