Page 152 of 209 FirstFirst ... 52102142150151152153154162202 ... LastLast
Results 1,511 to 1,520 of 2084

Thread: The "Eat More (or Moar) Fat" January Challenge page 152

canio6 Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by athomeontherange View Post
    1700 calories seems low for a guy...Didnt Dr. Attica have a separate formula for men?
    It probably is. I was just trying to get a ballpark figure based on P's numbers.

RMS123 is online now Senior Member
    You don't have to give up meat - just eat a bit less of it

Although, I would say that not everyone needs NK. My husband has done awesome on straight up primal (I just try to remember to help him get enough fat). I think I have a few more issues (insulin resistance from my PCOS, a life of being overweight, family history of addictive behavior, etc.).

For breakfast today:
    Pate 2 oz, 3 pastured egg yolks, 1 T trader joe's olive tapenade - 445 calories, 41 g fat, 5 g carbs, 15 g protein

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    Jon it seems to me that what you are already doing is working, but if you upped the cals, you could add fat without cutting too much protein.

Kymma is offline Senior Member
    The meat/protein issue is my personal biggest hurdle. It is a perception issue more than a hunger issue. I am always high on protein, my range is 65-79g and I tend to hover between 100-112g. That will be my focus next week, reduce protein. I know the problem is I eat 7-9 oz for dinner. I just need to cut it in half and figure out if an addition of something else will be necessary. Is it perception of amount of food needed, or is it that I will be hungry. I have to try to figure that out. I may get a food scale to help with this effort.

My standard day:

B: Avocado Smoothie and 2 cups of coffee with 2-3 tbsp HWC

L: 4 oz of boar's head deli meat, 1 cup of veg, 1-2oz of cheese, maybe some olives thrown in, or I get lunch fajitas or salads at a local Mexican place

D: 7-9 oz of meat, veg, cheese

butter in veggies or meat cooked in it, bacon grease, bacon added to things, ghee, etc.

I am having success even without the protein macros being on target, would like to see what getting in exercise and protein g lower would do.

canio6 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles67 View Post
    Jon it seems to me that what you are already doing is working, but if you upped the cals, you could add fat without cutting too much protein.
    It is working, but I always like to check out new ideas and see what people are doing. I appreciate all the replies I've gotten. New information is good to have

athomeontherange is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kymma View Post
    The meat/protein issue is my personal biggest hurdle. It is a perception issue more than a hunger issue. I am always high on protein, my range is 65-79g and I tend to hover between 100-112g. That will be my focus next week, reduce protein. I know the problem is I eat 7-9 oz for dinner. I just need to cut it in half and figure out if an addition of something else will be necessary. Is it perception of amount of food needed, or is it that I will be hungry. I have to try to figure that out. I may get a food scale to help with this effort.

My standard day:

B: Avocado Smoothie and 2 cups of coffee with 2-3 tbsp HWC

L: 4 oz of boar's head deli meat, 1 cup of veg, 1-2oz of cheese, maybe some olives thrown in, or I get lunch fajitas or salads at a local Mexican place

D: 7-9 oz of meat, veg, cheese

butter in veggies or meat cooked in it, bacon grease, bacon added to things, ghee, etc.

I am having success even without the protein macros being on target, would like to see what getting in exercise and protein g lower would do.
    This used to be me. I am amazed now that 3-4 oz max is quite a bit. It leaves room for more fat! My mom and I went to a restaurant. A dinner portion of pork chops was 2 chops.. we split it and each one was not more than 4 oz. It works, you just have to adjust your thinking.
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    Well, goal weights are tricky. I (in my humble opinion) look good at 200. I look thin at 180. Apparently I am supposed to weigh somewhere between 149-168. So I was going with 170 and using P's macro numbers.
    Yeah, when I was 205# I was at my best weight. I'm 6'2" and when I weighed 180# I looked really thin, but I think that's the usual height-weight rec from ye olde charts. No thanks...

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Canio and Jan11, do either of you do heavy lifting? Heavy lifting would require more protein, I would think. The problem with protein comes in when it's NOT being used for building or repairing. So if you're not doing much in the gym, there isn't much need for protein. And any protein not used for building turns to sugar. But if you're lifting regularly, maybe you wouldn't need to reduce the protein so much?

Jan this may be what is keeping you from reaching ketosis. Do you do any kind of testing? Blood, urine? What makes you think you're NOT in ketosis? Maybe you are?

Canio/FW, very nice to see some gentlemen here.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    It is working, but I always like to check out new ideas and see what people are doing. I appreciate all the replies I've gotten. New information is good to have
    True. Have you input your typical day into fitday?It might be interesting to see what your percentages are. Then if you wanted to you could up your fat percentage based on that information.

EDIT: I saw what you posted in my journal.
    Last edited by Pebbles67; 01-24-2013 at 08:47 AM.

ErinF is offline Senior Member
    I have a few more questions, and I have to apologize because I feel like I should be able to figure this all out on my own rather than bother everyone with this stuff. I have a tendency to jump into something before I fully understand it and then if/when it isn't working I get frustrated and give up. This time I don't want to do that, I want to give this a full run to see if it will work for me. Also, I should apologize if this gets to be a long post.

I'm at a decent weight with really only 10 pounds to lose to be at my ideal weight, what I'm actually looking for is a way to cut my body fat % from 25 to 18. I haven't been able to lose any weight for quite a while now and I'm starting to feel desperate because my husband said I'm gaining weight in my legs (I think this has something to do with my abdominoplasty to fix my severely stretched abs, and body fat shifting to other areas). Anyway, I'm starting a 5 day a week workout that should help lower my body fat %, but I want to make sure I'm eating right so that my workouts are effective.

I've been testing with ketostix to see how I'm doing and they're always in the trace or small range. Yesterday I went above 50g carbs and my test came out negative this morning. So I'm assuming that I have to stay below 50g to get into ketosis and I have to go really really low to get into deep ketosis? Or is it one of those things that when you're in ketosis you're in and there's no varying degrees. I do notice when I go lower than 50g carbs I wake up hungry and am not able to make my daily 16 hour fast. I'm wondering if I'm over thinking this whole thing and making it more complicated than it really is.