Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Triathlon Training page

As1459 is offline Junior Member

Triathlon Training

Shop Now
    I am participating in my first triathlon in a little over a month (5/31) and I am just wondering about my training protocol. I am not concerned with the run (5k) but I am not a strong swimmer and barely ride a bike. The swim is only 400m and the bike ride is 10k. What should my training schedule look like? Should I bike, swim and run all in one day? Or should I break it down and do one a day? I have no idea where to start! Actually I figured I could start here and would be the better for it!

Since I follow the pb style of eating I was wondering how my nutritional approach is going to change? I am obviously going to need more fuel. I currently lift heavy around 2-3 days a week and sprint another day. I appreciate any help I can get. Thanks and I look forward to the advice.

Edge is offline Member
    Take a look at these:
    http://beginnertriathlete.com/discus...ype=2&level=-1

Take what you see in those and make it work for you. I wouldn't change much about the way you're eating. I haven't noticed any loss of energy since eliminating hundreds and hundreds of carbs per day from my diet. I would say "just eat a few more carbs a day or two out from a race or big workout", but it's a sprint tri, and you won't actually need that much fuel.

I'll read through the link and adjust accordingly. Thanks for leading me in the right direction.

Big Dave is offline Senior Member
    Get in the pool!

I did my first triathlon about five years ago; a sprint distance and thought the same thing about the swim. It was horrible, being in the water with 400 other people and having not trained appropriately the swim ruined my entire race!

After that I joined a masters swim program and the difference was night and day.

Don't get me wrong, I am a slow ass Clydesdale just doing it for fun but the swim can make or break your entire race experience!

I was doing olympic distance the last few years until blowing my knee out playing basketball and gaining 50 pounds, but I'm back on track, got my knee reconstructed and got back in the pool. I should be running by the end of the summer!

Good luck with your first event!
    Rangers Lead the Way, Hooah!

Suki is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
    Get in the pool!

I did my first triathlon about five years ago; a sprint distance and thought the same thing about the swim. It was horrible, being in the water with 400 other people and having not trained appropriately the swim ruined my entire race!

After that I joined a masters swim program and the difference was night and day.

Don't get me wrong, I am a slow ass Clydesdale just doing it for fun but the swim can make or break your entire race experience!

I was doing olympic distance the last few years until blowing my knee out playing basketball and gaining 50 pounds, but I'm back on track, got my knee reconstructed and got back in the pool. I should be running by the end of the summer!

Good luck with your first event!
    I second this 100%. In my experience, the best triathletes are the strongest swimmers. I'd also get on a bike if you haven't already. Not sure what kind of bike you'll be using but you might start with a spin class.

I consider myself in pretty good shape and I have to say that I was sucking wind pretty badly when I went swimming this weekend. It has me doubting whether or not I am putting myself in danger swimming in a lake! I guess there's "in good shape" and "in swimming shape." Oh well it's a challenge too overcome!

Big Dave is offline Senior Member
    Swimming is much more technique than fitness in my opinion. If you are already in good shape then get the technique and it will all fall in place!
    Rangers Lead the Way, Hooah!

Good advice. Since may 31st is coming up pretty quickly I am looking for any swim technique book or videos I can find.

Duke is offline Junior Member
    Definitely do at least 2 brick training sessions before the race, with the last one about a week before it. A brick is when you immediately follow one sport with another; it can be bike run, swim bike, swim run, etc. These will help you adapt to the diff't muscles being used and it won't be such a shock on race morning. They call it a "brick" for a reason. That's what your legs will feel like.

do you mind if I butt in on your tri thread? Didn't really want to start another since there's only a few of us here.

I started doing tris in 1999, haven't raced since 2007. Injuries and weight gain = no training. So I'm looking at a HIM in mid September, haven't signed up for it yet tho. Don't even know if I can run yet so that's sort of the deciding factor.

Swam today, will cycle tomorrow if I can get out before it rains.
    my Primal Journal: Journal

my FitDay: FitDay

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast