Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Triathlon Training page 2

jessher is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Beginner Triathlete is the best place to find training plans and to log your training (the training logs are free and amazing). I have a book to suggest as well: Breakthrough Triathlon Training. Written by Brad Kearns, who wrote a guest post here on MDA and was coached my Mark. It's the best triathlon training book I have EVER read, and I have read a LOT.

banannao is offline Junior Member
    I'm going to butt in on teh thread too and offer some advice.

I just finished my first ever triathlon (and I'm on such an adrenalin buzz!!)..just the sprint distance (750m swim, 20k cycle, 5 km run). Did it in 1:23:53, which I'm thrilled with, as 9 months ago I couldn't even run up a flight of stairs, without feeling like I was going to die!!

I'd suggest swim and run one day, then swim and cycle, then cycle and run - alternate like that and try to get a few full practises in before the real thing.

and of course eat a good paleo brekkie!! (i had steak and nut bread!! yum yum) ... I just wish everyone would go paleo!

citric is offline Junior Member
    Bacon - Listen to your body and do what you can, but going from no training to HIM in 4 months is VERY aggressive. Each event by itself would be a serious under taking in 4 months. Add them together and you might be risking serious injury. You might be better served saving the HIM to next season and looking for a challenging sprint or oly for this fall.

eh...I've done it before and been ok. I manage to stay pretty fit even without the S/B/R and gaining a few pounds. That being said, the date doesn't work for me
    my Primal Journal: Journal

my FitDay: FitDay

Page is offline Junior Member
    Regarding swimming, if you train in a pool, but will be racing in a lake, get a couple of practice lake swims in. It is very different to be in a lake vs. a pool. Also, if you are going to wear a wetsuit, do your lake practice swims wearing that also. (And practice getting out of the wetsuit -- it's not so easy when you're exhausting from the swim and anxious to get on the bike.)

TheGrappler is offline Senior Member
    Didn't mark compete in triathalons as well?
    "I know what my body needs and what it can handle. There's no better way to achieve my goal than what im doing now. If my regimen leads to my death, be it in six days or six months...I will die fullfiled. The outcome is irrelavent so long as i steer towards my fate. If death is to be my prize, i welcome it with open arms."

"A pound of meat a day keeps the doctor away"

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    To reiterate what some of the others have said:

The swim will kick your ass, if for nothing else than the sheer crush of people flailing about your head and all the water you will inadvertently snort down. Open-water swimming is a very different animal than practicing in a pool. Get in as many open-water swims as you can.

Also, bricks!, as mentioned above.

It's good to join a tri training group, esp. this first time, if it's in your budget. Great structure, skills, as well as camaraderie.

This whole thing is really intimidating the first time around, but you'll come to love it and will count it amongst your highest accomplishments. Very easy to see on race day who has prepared and who hasn't. I've seen large people who trained hard flying past skinny ones who didn't.

Lots of videos on YouTube for inspiration on those days you don't feel like moving your butt.
    Last edited by TigerLily; 07-28-2010 at 01:37 AM.

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    Oh, another thing:
    Coming into the week of the race, your training should have already peaked and you should just be coasting (relatively speaking!) for the week, not still pushing it hard at that point.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12