Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cooking Leafy Greens (Lettuce) page

federkeil is offline Senior Member

Cooking Leafy Greens (Lettuce)

Primal Fuel
    Just wondering what your guys/gals take is on cooking (thinking steaming or a quick dip in boiling water) the leafy greens (lettuces) instead of eating them raw in a salad.

I know if you cook them too long they'll lose a significant portion of their vitamins/minerals, but I'm talking just enough to make them limp.

Is there any benefit to this or is it better to take them raw?

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    I don't very often cook greens, save for spinach when I put it in my eggs. Made some kale chips the other day. Mostly I eat what I like raw.

Molecular Grokologist is offline Senior Member
    The nutrients inside will be significantly more bioavailable if you lightly cook them. It's a net gain.
    Give me liberty. Exploration of other options will be vigorously discouraged.

Wondering something sciencey? Ask me in my Ask a Biochemist Thread

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    But Molecular Grokologist, don't you want want to maximize the power of your biophotonic enzyme-regulating energy field?

David Wolfe says that if you drink enough raw spinach juice you can shoot biophoton torpedos!

Eamon is offline Junior Member
    What about the 'strong' greens like collards and mustards? I really, really like collards, but CW has their simmering time on the far side of a half hour. Raw or blanched, they're a bit of an, um, acquired taste.

Eamon is offline Junior Member
    I do, however, have a dog that begs for collards.

Chaohinon is offline Senior Member
    I'm not gonna cook you a lettuce!

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stabby View Post
    But Molecular Grokologist, don't you want want to maximize the power of your biophotonic enzyme-regulating energy field?

David Wolfe says that if you drink enough raw spinach juice you can shoot biophoton torpedos!

Did Mr Wolfe watch too much Popeye as a kid?

Geoff is offline Member
    For sturdy greens (collards, kale, mustard greens, chard, etc.) I put them in a pot with a bit of boiling water, cover, and give them 5 minutes - just until the green turns bright. Then it's either eat as is or proceed with my recipe. I'm getting great deals on greens these days, so right now my BAS is usually a hot meal of lightly steamed greens tossed with some diced veg, meat, and butter for dressing.

Spinach I usually eat raw or just slightly wilted (try tossing your spinach with hot bacon fat and a splash of red wine vinegar)

Lettuces and tender greens I don't cook, but that's a texture thing for me.

Basically I follow the "color rule" - when the color looks brightest and best they're ready to eat (same way I cook broccoli). Drab, washed out color means I've overcooked them.

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    haha i cook collards and mustards te southern way....all day in the pot...and i love them. i could not NOT IMAGINE the GI trouble i would encounter if i ate undercooked collards....oh my lol

spnach and lettuce i us as beds for hot greasy meat so its usually kinda wilted when i eat it

kale i usually make those chip things

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast