Thread: Thinking of taking the plunge page

Annamaison is offline Junior Member

Thinking of taking the plunge

Shop Now
    Thinking, that is. Does this forum accept refugees from WW?

I wasn't seriously considering taking the plunge until yesterday, when coming from work and desperately hungry, I ate a whole avocado. That's right. The whole thing. I felt so good afterwards! "Can something that feels so good be so wrong?" I asked myself. I have no idea what would happen if I ate a whole avocado every. But I find myself willing to find out.

For the last week, I've been recording my meals at both WW and Fit Day, and I've been selecting higher fat, higher protein and lower carb choices. And I feel great. I haven't gone primal - just cut out grains and starch and replaced the calories with fats and meats. Fit Day says my average carb intake has been around 80 grams a day. I haven't felt hungry. I haven't been starting into the middle distance fantasizing about food, or wondering if I could sneak my co-worker's M&M's.

I don't like to eat 5-6 times a day. I don't want to eat mini-meals. I don't want to graze, nibble or snack! I want to just eat a meal and then get on with my day and not lumber about with a small army of snacks and mini-meals floating about me in low-earth orbit. I'm tired of writing down everything I eat and being hungry all the time. I just want to enjoy living my life and don't want my primary concern to be "what to eat".

I promised myself I would stick to a whole 30 days of by-the-book WW. Because it was a promise, I will stick it out, and learn everything I can about BP in the meantime.

Wondering though, did anyone else start here? A WW refugee. Why did you give it up and what has your experience been like with PB?

lesliek is offline Member
    I don't want to graze, nibble or snack! I want to just eat a meal and then get on with my day and not lumber about with a small army of snacks and mini-meals floating about me in low-earth orbit.
    Haha, nice way of putting it. Watching people suffer through WW is what totally turned me off of the idea of "dieting." I've seen people become completely uninteresting because all they could talk about was points and how much they wanted to eat X or Y. It's freeing to feel confident in your food choices, and not be subject to hunger or low energy when you're not eating something sugary or carby every few hours. I understand the appeal of sticking to a commitment, but it seems like you're 'cheating' already. Maybe you should just make another commitment? I'm not very good at waiting to do something once I've made up my mind that it's something I want to do.

tooround is offline Senior Member
    They've accepted a refugee from the low cal camp!

I'm pretty tired of spending my entire day trying to keep my blood sugar out of my boots.

Sungrazer is offline Senior Member
    To quote a famous philosopher: "Do or do not - there is no try." -- Yoda

Joking aside - give it a try (or do) for 30 days and see how you feel. I noticed an immediate effect on my health when switching from high carb high fat and then to low carb high fat.
    Sometimes you need to be told the truth in order to be able to see it.

My journal

I see grain people...

Exist in shadow, drifting away.

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member
    Annamaison,

I am also a WW refugee. I did their on-line program for three months, and lost 20 lbs. Unfortunately, a lot of that was apparently muscle. I felt like crap, and felt like I was starving all the time. I couldn't take it anymore, and over the next 3 months gained most of it back. Fortunately a good friend (Althaur) turned me on to PB in August last year, and it's all good now. I've gained back almost all the muscle I lost, and about 15 lbs of fat.

I think you're gonna like it here :-)

norcalgal is offline Senior Member
    although i never fully subscribed to WW, i was eating and abiding by their "points" system. i got really sick of watching what i ate, and having snacks available around me at all times to try eat 5-6 meals a day. i just couldnt stomach having 6 small 300 calorie meals a day. it just didnt make sense to me.
    i tried vegan. i hated watching every label ingredient in food and eating tofu and french fries and boca burgers.

i was into diet based on race, and eventually stumbled upon paleo eating, which then i stumbled and found my way here looking for paleo-style recipes. this makes much more sense to me. im probably more on the paleo than primal style eating, a lil mixed. about the only dairy i consume is some heavy cream in my cup of coffee, and mayyyybeeeee if im feeling naughty cheese. but i dont really make stuff like breads with almond flour. i basically stick to the foods as they are whole, and sometimes have a lil cheaty day where ill eat some mascapone cheese with frozen berries or some very dark chocolate melted over some strawberries and dipped in whipped cream.

it really is a huge weight off your shoulders when you know that basically anything in a box or can (unless your very careful) has crap in it you shouldnt eat and it really cuts down time spent in the supermarket when your only going to the produce isles.
    i have this great lil market up the road from me that stocks all local meat, egg, cheese and produce. they still have cans/boxes isles but i generally just do the roundy outside of the store thing and skip the center isles.
    "The first wealth is health."
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

DiabetesCanKissMyButt is offline Senior Member
    Do it! You will only feel better. It's so nice not to be hungry all the time. I think Fat is a definite mood booster. Sure makes me happy!