Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yoga vs. Active Stretching, what do you recommend and how often? page

Mainer is offline Senior Member

Yoga vs. Active Stretching, what do you recommend and how often?

Primal Fuel
    I lift heavy things twice a week, been lifting weights for over 25 Years, I am now 42. The major exercises are focused on the squats, deadlifts, pushups, body rows, planks, etc., keep it at 30 minutes. Walk during the week.

On the weekend it depends on the season. Downhill ski and snowshoe in the winter (that ended last week) and mountainbike and hike in the spring through fall, some bike rides go on for 2 1/2 hrs up some pretty steep mountains. Problem is I am not as limber as I was when I was younger, walk around a little stiff and have lost range of motion. I am thinking about adding in stretching or yoga to limber up a bit as I think this will help prevent injuries. Any opinions from any of you who participate in similar activities? Which would you recommend and what frequency, thanks.
    You'll never see the light if you're in someone else's shadow, or said another way, life is like a dog sled team, if you're not the lead dog, the scenery never changes

twinmama is offline Senior Member
    I personally love Yin Yoga... it really gets into the muscles... is VERY relaxing... and will help with just about any sport you get into... as it really opens up your range of motion... I like to do a quick 20 minute session before bed... It's not stimulating by any stretch...

Good luck!

Phil-SC is offline Senior Member

Smile Look to your joints first...

I don't really stretch any more. Don't get me wrong...I love yoga and related activities like it...but I recently got introduced to a "new" (really old) concept from the martial arts...loosen joints instead of stretching muscles.

It may sound like I'm splitting hairs here...but a very limber instructor that I work with shared with me this concept. Prior to training, I had always dutifully stretched...because that was what CW had said to do. However, the old-school martial artists focused on the joints, since this is the real source of fluidity and mobility.

However...if you focus on loosing joints, in many cases, the muscles get a warm-up benefit by doing this.

Just a thought...but it has been working for me, and no muscle strains to date.

federkeil is offline Senior Member
    For myself, active stretching prior to activity helps me more than just static stretching. So jog a little and do active, sometimes compound movements to loosen everything up (probably sounds like joint stretching). But the real goal here is to simply limber up before stressing your body. I'll usually throw in a couple static stretches for my problem areas once i'm warm.

Now post workout/activity I like to do static stretches and it helps me a lot in preventing soreness/tears and increasing flexibility.

You could also think about picking up a foam roller and doing some self massage to get the knots out. Sometimes it takes me upwards of an hour to release a nasty knot through self massage, but it feels way better once it's done.

unchatenfrance is offline Senior Member
    I don't stretch before working out, just maybe a quick warmup on a cardio machine and some shaking about and limbering up. I love stretching after my workout because it helps me wind down and reduces DOMS, I find. I do yoga once a week (that's all that fits into my schedule at the mo) and I loooove how relaxing it is and how my body feels afterwards.

Mainer is offline Senior Member
    Thanks all for the replies. I would be interested in learning more about this "loosening of joints" and Yin Yoga. I would agree with unchatenfrance, I don't stretch before working out, heck I don't stretch after either and I am starting to pay. Sad thing is I used to be super flexible when I was younger. I did take a fall on the mountainbike the other day and would have been less painful if I were more flexible.
    You'll never see the light if you're in someone else's shadow, or said another way, life is like a dog sled team, if you're not the lead dog, the scenery never changes

norcalgal is offline Senior Member
    i would like to get into yoga or pilates again. i enjoyed the flexibility and core strength it provided. unfortunately i quit my gym because the class i went to filled too much it went from 6-8 people in a small room to trying to squeeze in 20 in a tiny space and i felt uncomfortable with that many people in such a small room. i get slightly claustrophobic and feel i cant breath (same thing with airplanes, trains, buses...once i had a panic attack puked and fainted after getting off a very full train during rush-hour commute in the mornings on my way to university). ill have to find a studio that offers small classes in a large airy environment.
    "The first wealth is health."
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

avocado is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by twinmama View Post
    I personally love Yin Yoga... it really gets into the muscles... is VERY relaxing... and will help with just about any sport you get into... as it really opens up your range of motion... I like to do a quick 20 minute session before bed... It's not stimulating by any stretch...
    Actually Yin Yoga is aimed at specifically targeting the joints and connective tissue rather than the muscles. I've been curious to give it a try. I haven't decided whether it makes sense to me or not, but I guess the proof will be in the (coconut) pudding

periquin is offline Senior Member
    I do not do stretching or yoga, but I think I achieve the same results with Makko Ho, Dao Yin, and Qi Gong (Chi Kung).

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    I totally want to check out Yin Yoga--I've never heard of it--sounds fascinating!

I LOVE yoga, practiced Hatha for years then switched to vinyasa-flow/ashtanga and am loving those. I'd always recommend doing it under the guidance of a teacher to start (to be sure you are doing it correctly.) I think yoga is awesome, so would recommend it to anyone--it's more about finding the kind of yoga that works best for *you*. I don't know what is 'better' for you, but the benefits I've gotten from yoga go far beyond physical for *me*.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast