Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Witch Hazel page

Style is offline Member

Witch Hazel

Primal Fuel
    My whole life I've had issues with irritation on my neck after shaving. I've tried different aftershave with varying levels of success. Then I discovered PB, and have been trying to make as many areas of my life primal as possible. I began looking for primal aftershave.

I've been using witch hazel for months now, and I've gotta tell ya it's working better than any of the chemical based products I use to use. Score!

Some one else posted on this site that they use witch hazel for a facial toner, so I guess I'm getting that benefit as well.

Then I started looking for primal deodorant. Some one posted that rubbing alcohol worked, as it killed the stuff that mixes with your sweat and causes you to stink. I tried this out for a week, and sure enough, it did work. It killed the stink. However, I was getting some irritation in my arm pits. Rubbing alcohol was not going to work for me.

Then I remembered that the witch hazel I get from the pharmacy is 86% witch hazel, 14% alcohol. I wondered if this would have the same destinkifying effect minus the irritation. So I tried it, and it worked! Been wearing witch hazel deodorant for a couple weeks now, and it's working great.

Nothing wrong with using witch hazel in this manner, right?

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    your armpits will rot and fall off any day now!!

beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Witch hazel is good for many, many things. If you are a guy, you may not want to know this, but witch hazel is in those pads that newly-delivered mamas get recommened if they are sore "down there" after having their babies, too.

Like everything else in life, there is the blunt object, and then there is the finer thing - witch hazel from the drugstore is the blunt object, but if you look up the "Thayers Witch Hazel" brand (I get mine from the health food store, website is Welcome to Thayer's Natural Remedies ) you will find a cornucopia of witch hazel fluids that are all uniformly a Very Good Thing. Just FYI.

Although, if the drugstore witch hazel works well for you and you are happy, the extra expense prob isn't worth it. My family and I just have very sensitive skin and Thayers has always done right by us.

Earthy Mama is offline Senior Member
    I love witch hazel. I use it for all things female, as an aftershave thingy on my legs and I wash my face with witch hazel. It has many more uses, I just can't think of them off the top of my head.

If the witch hazel ever does start to irritate your skin, you can try coconut oil too, I just it as a moisturizer on my face and love it
    Earthy Mama's Journal

"Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food" ~ Hippocrates

SarahW is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodorchid View Post
    your armpits will rot and fall off any day now!!

Lol, yes.

I made some smoothies last week with egg yolk, so I had a lot of leftover whites. Went online to find something to do with them, and as I didn't feel like baking, I tried out the egg white face mask, which turned out totally awesome!

I went back to the internet to do some research about why it worked it so great, and came across pages of people saying "ewww, raw eggs are nasty. they have, like, salmonella, and stuff in them. they'll totes make your skin sick and make it all fall off."

Seeing as I already ate the yolks, raw, I did my virtual point-and-laugh routine and carried on.

But now that I'm thinking about it - wtf? How is it that people got to the point that some egg white makes them freak out with revulsion, but they think nothing of putting lead and other heavy metals and chemicals and petroleum by-products all over themselves?

I also tried washing my hair with the egg, which actually worked out really well. I'll have to play around with that idea a bit more, but if you're stuck somewhere with a greaseball head of hair without shampoo, but with an egg handy, it'll do the job.

Earthy Mama is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
    Lol, yes.

I made some smoothies last week with egg yolk, so I had a lot of leftover whites. Went online to find something to do with them, and as I didn't feel like baking, I tried out the egg white face mask, which turned out totally awesome!

I went back to the internet to do some research about why it worked it so great, and came across pages of people saying "ewww, raw eggs are nasty. they have, like, salmonella, and stuff in them. they'll totes make your skin sick and make it all fall off."

Seeing as I already ate the yolks, raw, I did my virtual point-and-laugh routine and carried on.

But now that I'm thinking about it - wtf? How is it that people got to the point that some egg white makes them freak out with revulsion, but they think nothing of putting lead and other heavy metals and chemicals and petroleum by-products all over themselves?

I also tried washing my hair with the egg, which actually worked out really well. I'll have to play around with that idea a bit more, but if you're stuck somewhere with a greaseball head of hair without shampoo, but with an egg handy, it'll do the job.
    I can only imagine how many eggs I'd need for my hair (long) LOL!!!
    Earthy Mama's Journal

"Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food" ~ Hippocrates

lordgrover is offline Member
    Can't comment on witch hazel, no experience.

Alum block however, excellent for post shave cooling and antiperspirant too.

Switch to de safety razor with proper soap, alum block and skin food. Youtube either mantic59 or geofatboy.

NewGrayMare is offline Member
    I've been using magnesium for deodorant and it's been awesome. However, it stings like crazy on freshly shaved pits! I'll have to give witch hazel a try. Thanks for the tip.

SarahW is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthy Mama View Post
    I can only imagine how many eggs I'd need for my hair (long) LOL!!!
    Probably less than one. Egg is like the amazing bottomless pot of gold in the bathroom. I had 4 egg whites in a bowl, and after slathering egg all over my body and hair, I still had most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by NewGrayMare
    I've been using magnesium for deodorant and it's been awesome. However, it stings like crazy on freshly shaved pits! I'll have to give witch hazel a try. Thanks for the tip.
    Are you talking about Milk of Magnesia? I use that as my deodorant, and I don't have a problem after I shave.

If I find some cheap Witch Hazel I'll have to play around with it. Right now I'm just using it as a face toner to get off make-up bits that soap and water miss.

fordorobere is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    you will find a cornucopia of witch hazel fluids that are all uniformly a Very Good Thing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast