Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bonk page 2

Zach is offline Banned
    Yes i do enjoy the finer things in life.

AshleyL is offline Senior Member
    Fat burning doesn't equal ketosis. Your talking one extreme to another.

Took me about two weeks both times I dropped my carbs. For me, testing my sugars, my body was running too high. Switching to a lower carb diet, my sugars became more normal, not low, just not high. However, my body thoight it was low because it had been used to a high baseline sugar. After a couple weeks of feeling extra hungry, boom, there is suddenly a switch and everything is easy after that. Byebye debilitating lower back pain, constant hunger that doesnt go away even immediatley after a large meal, numb hands, migraines... and fat just slowly melts off.

I agree on watching the electrolytes during the transition and don't keep going back a forth. The transitions are the hardest part on your body.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    I agree with Paleobird here, and she's had a very successful go with primal.

I would say that we (my husband and i) are very efficient fat-burners and are not in ketosis on-going. It's not harder on the body to burn fat as fuel, honestly, and it is about eating the right kinds of foods in the right quantities.

Kata is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Annlee View Post
    As for giving into the cravings, for almost all of us here it has been true that the cravings disappear once we're past an initial period. During that period, you have to stop yourself. People use all kinds of tricks to do that - they remind themselves of why they are going primal (something they're trying to change, some goal they have, etc.) or they find a distraction (if I'm still hungry in 30 minutes. I will have a primal snack - like those eggs) or they just talk to themselves ("Do today what others won't, so I can do tomorrow what others can't." ... or just "Suck it up, Buttercup!").
    My mantra is "I won't be out-willpowered by a vegan!"

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    It's not harder on the body to burn fat as fuel, honestly, and it is about eating the right kinds of foods in the right quantities.
    You have no idea. I'm not going to rehash the same things I've said over and over(if anyone is interested, they can look in my post history on ATP), but the larger role your stress hormones take on, the more your body degenerates, and the harder it is for it to produce protective hormones like t3, dhea, etc.

You may not notice on the short-term, or it may even take quite a while before the symptoms are really noticeable depending on how resilient your body is, but it will happen. Ketosis, by the very mechanism is "harder" on your body and very inefficient and definitely not recommended long-term. I couldn't even do it for a month, personally.
    nihil

Paleobird Guest
    And Cheryl, you also should know that Derpamix is a tall skinny guy who, by his own words, gets the majority of his daily calories from, OJ and milk, both with sugar added, Coke, vast quantities of highly sweetened coffee, chocolate with salt on top, and gummy bears. (Not kidding, he actually said all of that.)

Also not the most credible source of Primal nutritional advice.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    I could be eating toxic sludge with sprinkles on top, it doesn't discredit the way cellular metabolism works, silly <3
    nihil

Yeah, 3 days Primal was right smack in the center of "holy crap I need sugar NOW!!!" hell for me. I would eat a large, full, primal meal that involved plenty of healthy fats, my belly would feel nice and full, but my brain would be SCREAMING for a cookie or a slice of bread at the end. I felt grouchy like I had low blood sugar even on a full stomach. It was awful.

But you just gotta power through. Those really intense cravings do go away (although you may still miss cookies - not gonna lie). If you find that the cravings are so intense that they're making you unpleasant to be around or are making you hate life, have a handfull of berries instead. That'll be enough of a shot of sugar to take the edge off and make you feel ok again, but without derailing you and making you feel all down on yourself.

For me it was 2 or 3 days of craving sugar, then about 2 days of pretty nasty low carb flu, then I was home free. For most people it takes at least twice that long, but you do break through at the end. At the end of that time, my body was preferentially burning fat for energy instead of white-knuckling through to its next shot of blood glucose. And I am a MUCH happier person because of it! There are so many benefits to teaching your body to preferentially burn fat that have nothing to do with losing weight. I wasn't out to lose weight when I went Primal, and I haven't lost any. But I am a much more consistently functional person (not to mention happier) now that my body can actually sustain itself between meals. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Kata View Post
    My mantra is "I won't be out-willpowered by a vegan!"
    <3 <3 <3 :-D

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    I could be eating toxic sludge with sprinkles on top, it doesn't discredit the way cellular metabolism works, silly <3
    It discredits *your opinion* of how cellular metabolism works and also your judgement. <3 you too.

Warmbear is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    When I started way back in April, I was already avoiding breads for the most part but I dropped them cold turkey along with my personal fav, Basmati rice.

The carb cravings are still an issue sometimes but as was said, add fat, eat till satisfied when hungry, whenever you are hungry. Carry a bag of snack veggies ( a big bag) and have them whenever. I started adding butter to everything I could and it did help with the adjustment. I dont eat so much butter now but use other fats.

Coconut oil is great but for many people it takes some getting used to so use it sparingly at first then increase if you dont get a bad "whoosh" reaction. you will understand what I mean if it happens, just stay close to a toilet.

People make the mistake of thinking this is a diet and ergo they must eat less. This is wrong. Oh so wrong. As was mentioned dont worry about loosing weight yet, get used to this then dial it in.

Have you read the book? if not then you may benefit from it as everything here is better condensed in the book.

Remember the rules. follow the rules as best you can, they really do help.

I strive to ensure that each and every meal be by volume, 2/3 veggies and 1/3 meat and fat. Snacks are veggies usually rather than fruit.

Stay away from nuts. they are addictive and evil.

There really is no such thing as healthy grains, being "whole" grains do not make them so. If you need carbs, try the many varieties of sweet potato, the Japanese/Korean kind is my fav but regular potatoes wont hurt if you dont eat too much.

Your body will tell you what is working and what is not and also remember that as Paleobird pointed out some of these people are chaos Muppets and will mess with you just to watch you flounder.
    Primal since April 2012 Male 6' 3" SW 345lbs CW 240lbs GW 220lbs and when I get there I am getting a utlikilt. This one http://www.utilikilts.com/company/pr...ilts/workmans/ actually.

Join me at www.paleoplanet.net, where all the cavemen hang out.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast