Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Herbs and spices - do we need them? page

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member

Herbs and spices - do we need them?

I know many people love to liberally sprinkle their food with this stuff, but do the Paleo/Primal crowd really need it?

Historically, many cultures used most of these as herbal remedies when people got sick. Otherwise, they didn't really overconsume. All these studies showing improved health in SAD people SHOULD be showing improved results because those inflicted by a SAD are sick. But should herbs and spices still have a place with those who have completely healed their health through Paleo/Primal? Too much of a good thing resulting in negative health effects?

Primal Moose is online now Senior Member
    I think they should be there. Obviously, they don't have to be, but they contain to many benefits for me not to want to use them. They contain essentially no calories but have a large amount of vitamins and trace minerals. And they can turn bland food into amazing..amazing food into....

Some of them even do more amazing things. Turmeric has anti-inflammation properties, which is nice when you have a nagging knee injury. Cinnamon can help with blood sugar response when you're going to be eating a more carb-heavy meal.

Like I said, they are far from 'necessary" or anything, but I would not go without them by choice.

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    Yes. Yes very much. Spices make the world go round and food go in my face
    beautiful
    yeah you are

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sakura_girl View Post
    I know many people love to liberally sprinkle their food with this stuff, but do the Paleo/Primal crowd really need it?
    Need vs want. I remember experimenting w/ the simplest (blandest) diet I could devise once a few decades ago, back when beans & rice was daily fare. My unscientific conclusion was that bland food over time led to a bland uninspired outlook on life. I went back to plates & bowls laced w/ spices, flavors & heat on my tongue & my attitude changed along w/ it. And let's not forget that salt is the most basic of all spices, if not flavors. And what would we do without that flavor or effect?

Quote Originally Posted by sakura_girl View Post
    Historically, many cultures used most of these as herbal remedies when people got sick. Otherwise, they didn't really overconsume. All these studies showing improved health in SAD people SHOULD be showing improved results because those inflicted by a SAD are sick. But should herbs and spices still have a place with those who have completely healed their health through Paleo/Primal? Too much of a good thing resulting in negative health effects?
    Who among us in the paleo/primal community can say, honestly, I've 'completely healed' myself w/ this WOE? A few perhaps, but not many in my estimation of the state of the union.

As for overdoing it w/ turmeric, ginger, garlic & lemongrass, aromatic spices, etc. Sure, there's a tipping point for anything, but the societies that eat the most spices that I've personally encountered, South Indians & Southern Thais, seemed to be just fine to me. I've traveled the massive-spice-intake paths myself in the past many many times, & except for excessive chili consumption, I seemed no worse for wear, top or bottom. I recall reading somewhere that the societies that ate the spiciest foods have the lowest incident of lower bowel & over-all intestinal cancers looked at in that study.
    Last edited by Betorq; 12-19-2012 at 05:23 PM.
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Too much herbs and spices...

LOL.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Need them? Nope.

Want them to boost the flavor and yumminess of my meals so I don't lapse into "food boredom?" Hell yes!

Oh, and they're great for adding antioxidants to your meal.

Earthy Mama is offline Senior Member
    I noticed that I use less spices since eating primal... the food just tastes better now so not as much need!
    Earthy Mama's Journal

"Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food" ~ Hippocrates

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Chinese herbal medicine is often used as a preventative, not to cure things, but to make sure they can't be ill. One of the most famous ancient Chinese doctors (Bian Que or Hua Tuo, I forget which) stated that his oldest brother was the best doctor he knew, and his second brother the second best. His oldest brother would heal people before they got sick. His oldest brother would heal people when they were only a little sick. The hero of this story explained that while he was far more famous than his brothers, it was only because he healed people who were closest to death, and the healing appeared to be a miracle.

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    raw ginger and lemongrass mm mm mm mmmm mmmmmmmm
    beautiful
    yeah you are

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Could I live without spices? Yes.

Would I want to? No.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast