Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Herbs and spices - do we need them? page 2

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Aren't some spices anti-bacterial under conditions of lax refrigeration? I read that the Sami of Lappland used some kind of herb to preserve reindeer milk. I think the herbs and spices have a lot of uses other than just flavor and just medicinal. I do find that eating less processed food--and did you ever notice how it all had the same flavor?--I need a lot less spices and stuff to make things tasty. Salt, butter, onions, garlic and Italian spices go a long way with me.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Betorq View Post
    Who among us in the paleo/primal community can say, honestly, I've 'completely healed' myself w/ this WOE? A few perhaps, but not many in my estimation of the state of the union.
    You make a good point. Maybe we just cannot achieve the health of the ancient cultures, but we can at least try, with the help of a little more herbs and spices than what our ancestors used?

Quote Originally Posted by Betorq View Post
    As for overdoing it w/ turmeric, ginger, garlic & lemongrass, aromatic spices, etc. Sure, there's a tipping point for anything, but the societies that eat the most spices that I've personally encountered, South Indians & Southern Thais, seemed to be just fine to me. I've traveled the massive-spice-intake paths myself in the past many many times, & except for excessive chili consumption, I seemed no worse for wear, top or bottom. I recall reading somewhere that the societies that ate the spiciest foods have the lowest incident of lower bowel & over-all intestinal cancers looked at in that study.
    Sounds good to me, with that evidence!

Quote Originally Posted by jfreaksho View Post
    Chinese herbal medicine is often used as a preventative, not to cure things, but to make sure they can't be ill. One of the most famous ancient Chinese doctors (Bian Que or Hua Tuo, I forget which) stated that his oldest brother was the best doctor he knew, and his second brother the second best. His oldest brother would heal people before they got sick. His oldest brother would heal people when they were only a little sick. The hero of this story explained that while he was far more famous than his brothers, it was only because he healed people who were closest to death, and the healing appeared to be a miracle.
    Hehe, prevention is the best medicine? I dig that. Especially if you use a Chinese story as an illustration

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I have read that dried herbs can be a great source of probiotics.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    You could, theoretically, live without bacon, too, but where's the fun in that. Herbs and spices do provide some nutrients, but not enough to count, but the flavor they add to a bland plate is invaluable. I wouldn't be able to choke down most greens without flavoring them.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Kata is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthy Mama View Post
    I noticed that I use less spices since eating primal... the food just tastes better now so not as much need!
    I've noticed this too! I'll cook a meal that I think is super flavorful, but my SAD boyfriend will think is bland. He's so used to being overpowered with salt and sugar and artificial flavorings that he can't detect the subtle, natural flavors of food anymore. This is probably pretty typical of SAD folks. To me, a piece of chicken browned in a skillet with no seasoning at all tastes good, although spices do add variety and interest to a dish.

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Kata View Post
    I've noticed this too! I'll cook a meal that I think is super flavorful, but my SAD boyfriend will think is bland. He's so used to being overpowered with salt and sugar and artificial flavorings that he can't detect the subtle, natural flavors of food anymore. This is probably pretty typical of SAD folks. To me, a piece of chicken browned in a skillet with no seasoning at all tastes good, although spices do add variety and interest to a dish.
    +1
    I have also noticed that I prefer the flavor of meat, fish etc. by itself, instead having it altered by spices and herbs.
    There are also some foods that really can't exist without the seasoning. Like chili, for instance. I pretty much only use chili powder, paprika and very sparingly pepper. The flavor of caramelized onions beats the flavor of any spice IMHO.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12