Thread: Primal induced migraines? page

NewGrayMare is offline Member

Primal induced migraines?

Primal Fuel
    I have to admit, I fell off the soda-less bandwagon today; but, it wasn't because of holiday flavored temptation brought to me. I've got a migraine that started last night and Mt. Dew coupled with Excedrin Migraine (no longer available!) is the only thing in the past that has helped. Luckily, this isn't one of my super bad migraines; I can still function, but very slowly and I'm slightly off balance.

Typically, my migraines are weather induced. I can always tell when a major storm is coming through. However, a weather check shows nothing coming this way anytime soon. I know some migraines are hormone induced, but that hasn't been the case with me in the past. However, I did stop taking the pill a month ago and my body is not yet regular on its own again. I'm guessing this migraine could be hormone induced, even if I haven't had hormone migraines in the past.

I'm fairly new to Primal/Paleo. This past week I've been really good about avoiding the bad stuff and sticking to the right diet. I've heard of carb flu, but I don't feel sickish like the flu; I just want a guillotine! Has anyone here experienced migraines while transitioning to a fat-burning beast? What do you do for the pain that doesn't involve chemicals and sugary soda-poisons?

I think I'll go lie down in a pitch black, completely soundless room for a few hours and hope to find some good advice when I get back =) Thanks for any help you can provide!

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    Excedrin Migraine is just 250mg Tylenol, 250mg aspirin, and 65mg caffeine. You can buy the "ingredients" separately (NoDoz=caffeine).

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    If you are doing low carb you may need to supplement with salt. I use 1/2 tsp celtic sea salt in a glass of water daily.

hulahoop is offline Senior Member
    How long have you been off the soda/wheat/sugar? I was quite migrainey for the first two weeks but it settled down. If you're coming off caffeine filled soda, it could be caffeine withdrawal? For me, primal food wouldn't give me a migraine, but coming off the junk did.

Other reasons for migraines for me are dehydration, lack of sleep (or too much sleep), lack of food, bright sunlight, getting too hot, chocolate, wine, stress, excitement, sulphites, MSG, HFCS, and sometimes just absolutely nothing! If you have changed your diet recently i'd guess it's the withdrawal from something.

Hope you feel better soon

NewGrayMare is offline Member
    Thanks for the tips=) I'm still achy and it tried coming back today, so I lay down and slept for several hours. And guess what the weather was like this morning- rain and snow! Guess it was weather triggered yet again after all

Hulahoop, I had kicked the pop habit for weeks. Up until yesterday, I was on a 38 day streak without so much as carbonation. I certainly went through withdrawls for that! I was on the high-caffeine stuff and drinking it at least once a day for months.

Goldie, thanks for the Excedrin Migraine info! I will certainly look into getting everything individually. I usually try to fight through illness and headaches without medicating because I hate putting that commercial junk in my body. Unfortunately, there are times when I just have to give in. Looks like it might be time to keep an emergency migraine-only Mt. Dew in the fridge again.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    If you're sensitive to weather changes, it might be a pressure-related issue. How are your sinuses? Congested at all? I used to get migraines a lot when I fell behind on my allergy meds. Also, making sure your sodium intake is adequate (not too much or too little) could affect pressure as well.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).