Thread: Embracing my winter drift into ketosis, fasting... page

Embracing my winter drift into ketosis, fasting...

So at the end of this summer I started thinking about cycling away from some seasonal fruits for the winter (no berries, for example), increasing root vegetables, etc...trying to concentrate on the 'eat what local landscape is giving you' principle.

And this fall/winter it seems like I have just wanted to east less volume of food, eat higher fat, and my ability to fast 18-20hrs is a breeze. Obviously my outside running around is down too, but I have upped my heavy lifting. I have never truly attempted to be in ketosis, more like just being low carb. But the last few weeks I feel like I have just stumbled into it naturally. In early December 5lbs just fell off in a day or two it seemed.

Anyone else experience this? Just thought I'd share something that is a welcome surprise...makes me feel like I am doing something right...

Paleobird Guest
    Welcome to ketoland. It's fun isn't it? This is where I live all year long. While in SoCal we don't have the severe winters that you do, the cooler weather definitely has me feeling more carnivorous. Salads and such just aren't calling to me right now.

SoccerGrok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Welcome to ketoland. It's fun isn't it? This is where I live all year long. While in SoCal we don't have the severe winters that you do, the cooler weather definitely has me feeling more carnivorous. Salads and such just aren't calling to me right now.
    This^ except I live in the Northwest. MOAR MEAT PLEASE
    Free your mind, and your Grok will follow!

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Interesting. This is the place I want to get to, someday.

richard is offline Senior Member
    personally I don't like ketosis. I find my brain doesn't think as clearly. I do fast though so I don't avoid i all the time, but I strive to have enough carbs when I am eating to stay out of it, but not to have so many carbs that I overbuild my glycogen requirements.

I do love the "eat seasonally including type of food and quantity and frequency" idea. Awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by richard View Post
    personally I don't like ketosis. I find my brain doesn't think as clearly. I do fast though so I don't avoid i all the time, but I strive to have enough carbs when I am eating to stay out of it, but not to have so many carbs that I overbuild my glycogen requirements.

I do love the "eat seasonally including type of food and quantity and frequency" idea. Awesome!
    I cant say I dont like ketosis because I have never been in it knowlingly for some extended period, but I do wonder if I want this to persist more than a couple months...my desire for fruit has just dropped off completely except for occasionally having an apple, and thats more because I am sharing it with my toddler son. But then having stronger desires to eat an entire head of cauliflower with dinner, for example. Long term ketosis doesnt register with me as balanced (I worry about eating too much animal protein vs. plants), but I know I have to go by what my body's saying. I suppose I am viewing this along the lines of a short human hibernation like alot of people go through during these months, but I am managing it to my advantage because I am more in tune with things now...Figuring out the right fats to eat has been pretty monumental for me...some roasted bone marrow/broth and 1 avocado per day, etc is killer..haha

dizzyorange is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by returnfreerisk View Post
    I cant say I dont like ketosis because I have never been in it knowlingly for some extended period, but I do wonder if I want this to persist more than a couple months...my desire for fruit has just dropped off completely except for occasionally having an apple, and thats more because I am sharing it with my toddler son. But then having stronger desires to eat an entire head of cauliflower with dinner, for example. Long term ketosis doesnt register with me as balanced (I worry about eating too much animal protein vs. plants), but I know I have to go by what my body's saying. I suppose I am viewing this along the lines of a short human hibernation like alot of people go through during these months, but I am managing it to my advantage because I am more in tune with things now...Figuring out the right fats to eat has been pretty monumental for me...some roasted bone marrow/broth and 1 avocado per day, etc is killer..haha
    What is the typical carb intake in grams required for ketosis? Is 50 going to get me there.

Paleobird Guest
    50 is a good place to start but you may find your personal threshold to be lower or higher depending on age, gender, weight, metabolic health, activity level, etc.

richard is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by dizzyorange View Post
    What is the typical carb intake in grams required for ketosis? Is 50 going to get me there.
    depends upon your physical and MENTAL activity levels. I find brain work depletes me much more quickly of carbs. But 50 should get you into ketosis. Atkins was down in the 25 or 30g range for "induction" and that is sure to put "most" people into ketosis.