Page 96 of 207 FirstFirst ... 46869495969798106146196 ... LastLast

Thread: Resistant Starches page 96

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I raised my PS dose to 3 tbsp since I hadn't had any gas issues for a week. I am taking it at night with Prescript Assist, which is a new probiotic for me. My body is reacting as expected to the new probiotic with cramping and loose stools, but it is no big deal and will stop soon.

I am on day 12 of the Perfect Health diet. (A higher carb and RS Paleo program)

I am experiencing increased energy, improved mood and have broken through a 2 year plateau in weightloss.

So far my RS experiment is a success.
    Paula Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Evo_Mama is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles67 View Post
    I raised my PS dose to 3 tbsp since I hadn't had any gas issues for a week. I am taking it at night with Prescript Assist, which is a new probiotic for me. My body is reacting as expected to the new probiotic with cramping and loose stools, but it is no big deal and will stop soon.

I am on day 12 of the Perfect Health diet. (A higher carb and RS Paleo program)

I am experiencing increased energy, improved mood and have broken through a 2 year plateau in weightloss.

So far my RS experiment is a success.
    Awesome. I'm experiencing similar results.

Paleophil is offline Senior Member
    I ate some steamed waxy potatoes (purple Peruvians and yukon gold) with white beans and ham, cooled by some added 1 TBS mung bean starch in water and buttermilk, and shortly thereafter started feeling very warm. My oral temp hit 99.1, then 99.3, then 99.4, which is the maximum it reaches after mung bean starch consumption, then it dropped back down a bit to 99.2, 99.3, 99.2, ... The effect seems to be too quick for RS to account for it. Fair warning, though that my BG does tend to go up some (not to bad levels) with mung bean starch, and axillary temp. would have been a more reliable measure.

My guess for primary cause would be the digestible portion of the mung bean starch, though it doesn't always raise my temp that high (probably depending on where my temp. started at beforehand, which I didn't check this time). There were multiple variables, but does anyone know of a possible reason for why the digestible portion of mung bean starch might be particularly adept at raising body temp.?
    Quote Originally Posted by tatertot View Post
    Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong.
    Notes I may point to:
    1) WARNING: beware of chronic very low carb diets, especially ones low in resistant starch and other Paleo/Primal prebiotics
    2) I try to do what works best for me, and often fail. YMMV. Don't imitate me--find what works for you. The only fact I know for certain is that of my ignorance. Iím not prescribing.
    3) It may aid discussion if neither of us tries to speak for the other

fatgoose is offline Junior Member
    Anybody have negative mental health impacts when supplementing with RS? I recently quit after trying 2 tbsp of potato starch at bedtime for the last couple weeks due to my bruxism (teeth clenching) becoming too painful.

Now that I've been off it for a while I can see it was the RS causing me to feel depressed and lethargic. Anyone else relate?

It's fascinating to see how much of a role the gut plays on sleep/mood etc.

Sorry if I'm bringing up an old topic. I tried to read through the whole thread but it was too long and I couldn't figure how to search it.

cayla29s is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    I was just kidding. I would love to try them all, in fact I wrote 'plantains' on the grocery list cause I know they have them where we shop. Tapioca pearls, I've had those in pudding, is there anything else you can do with them?
    yeah coming from an asian backgound I have had all the starch I can eat. Here is a recipe you might to try. I'm sure you can substitute white sugar for another kind of sweetener or might not need it all depending on your taste buds.
    Ginataang Bilo-Bilo / Sticky Rice Balls - PinoyCookingRecipes

WeldingHank is offline Senior Member
    Yup, that's happening this week.

Thanks for the recipe!

kmarie is offline Senior Member
    Yummy! Thanks for sharing! I'd love to try this too!
    Is it enjoyed hot or cold?

Any recipes/ideas for mung bean noodles?

K

Goyangi is offline Junior Member
    Hmm, do I see right, that tapioca pearls like in bubble tea are safe starch too? If so, one could made own bubble tea with healthy stuff and drink them. (I thought about maybe mixing in coconut milk or yogurt and some nice taste, like chocolate, or doing something with fruit.)

Evo_Mama is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fatgoose View Post
    Anybody have negative mental health impacts when supplementing with RS? I recently quit after trying 2 tbsp of potato starch at bedtime for the last couple weeks due to my bruxism (teeth clenching) becoming too painful.

Now that I've been off it for a while I can see it was the RS causing me to feel depressed and lethargic. Anyone else relate?

It's fascinating to see how much of a role the gut plays on sleep/mood etc.

Sorry if I'm bringing up an old topic. I tried to read through the whole thread but it was too long and I couldn't figure how to search it.
    I've had opposite reactions - more energy and better moods, despite relatively poor sleep. Not sure what accounts for such variability in responses, though.

cayla29s is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by kmarie View Post
    Yummy! Thanks for sharing! I'd love to try this too!
    Is it enjoyed hot or cold?

Any recipes/ideas for mung bean noodles?

K
    Usually hot. I mean you can eat it cold if you want but normally it's eaten hot because it sort of like a soup. When I was a kid we ate it around Easter and a meal between lunch and dinner then I took a nap. I haven't eaten it in along time. It's really tasty so I wouldn't overdo it and it is better enjoyed in small portions.

Hmm mung bean noodles? Like you mean noodles made out of mung beans? Never heard that one. I think you are asking mung beans in noodles? You eat legumes?