Page 74 of 212 FirstFirst ... 2464727374757684124174 ... LastLast

Thread: Resistant Starches page 74

Annika is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I'm using the gold standard: Bob's Red Mill potato starch, and it still seems to cause me significant GI discomfort. I've stopped taking it again, and will give it another try after a break, just to make sure it's not a coincidence.

I'd like to try plantain flour, but the only one on Amazon with no additional ingredients went up to $60/pound (LOL!) and if you buy direct from the supplier (Barry Farm), the shipping costs more than the product.
    My blog: Pretty Good Paleo
    On Twitter: @NEKLocalvore

RhondaB is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    I realized this morning that I've been sleeping VERY deeply lately and having INCREDIBLY vivid dreams. Perhaps the potato starch? Weird! I've been waking up groggy though. I'm waiting to see if that passes or stays.
    I've done the potato diet too, got good results but found I was sleeping more. Although you woke up groggy, did you ultimately feel better once you'd fully woken? I read about a potato at night being more effective than prozac for depression and I've never slept better since I made my evening meal just microwaved potatoes.

Paleophil is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Annika View Post
    I'm using the gold standard: Bob's Red Mill potato starch...
    My guess would be that the Frontier organic PS would be the gold standard, though I haven't tried that. It's more expensive, but I do wonder if some of the people reporting symptoms from the BRM would do better with it.

Shipping cost is definitely the problem with plantain flours. Including shipping, this one works out to $27.16/lb, even though it's quite cheap before shipping: http://www.everythingtrini.com/comme...p?productid=61

I see that several of the products in Tatertot's delectable cookie recipe have shot up in price on Amazon or been sold out. LOL
    Last edited by Paleophil; 01-12-2014 at 08:40 AM.

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RhondaB View Post
    I've done the potato diet too, got good results but found I was sleeping more. Although you woke up groggy, did you ultimately feel better once you'd fully woken? I read about a potato at night being more effective than prozac for depression and I've never slept better since I made my evening meal just microwaved potatoes.
    No, I was tired all day too. There are other factors such as stress in my life to consider. I'm starting a 3-day potato hack tomorrow though so we'll see what happens.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Lyte is offline Senior Member
    I realized this morning that I've been sleeping VERY deeply lately and having INCREDIBLY vivid dreams. Perhaps the potato starch? Weird! I've been waking up groggy though. I'm waiting to see if that passes or stays.
    That happens to me when I intake a huge amount of Tryptophan (a type of protein). I only wake up groggy when I combine that with something like valerian tea, though. It would explain the deep sleep and vivid dreams as tryptophan helps with sleep issues and is also the precursor to DMT and Serotonin.

I love the stuff :P

eats.meats.west is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tatertot View Post
    No real recipe. Look on the back of a bag of chocolate chips, or use any cookie recipe. Substitute plantain flour for the wheat flour and primalize the rest of the ingredients. Mix the dough and eat it like a sneaky kid.
    My version - came out really well. I cut down on the sweetness, some might double up on the rice syrup.

20 g Cacao Nibs ground to powder
    150 g Potato Starch - Bobs RedMill
    20 g Tapioca Starch - Bobs RedMill
    30 g almond meal
    .25 tsp Salt
    1 tsp Vanilla extract
    1 Pasturized Egg (did this in a Sous Vide setup, you can buy them or just go raw)
    8 tbsps Butter KerryGold
    70 g Brown Rice Syrup
    70 g Dark Chocolate Chips

Mix well, chill after portioning into blobs or whatever shape you want.

bwhit is offline Senior Member

RS pain

So I was a little over a week into my RS experiment, easing in with 1 TBSP of potato starch per day. I had some gas but I thought I was mostly passed it, and was getting ready to bump up to 2 TBSPs. Then one Saturday I happened to eat a lot of fermented food; sauerkraut and Kombucha. I also took a priobiotic and got a slight stomach ache. I woke up the next day shivering and my body was in total pain. I was in the bathroom all the next morning and was in pain for two days. My knees and torso really hurt and it was painful to move. Anyone experience anything like this?

tatertot is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bwhit View Post
    So I was a little over a week into my RS experiment, easing in with 1 TBSP of potato starch per day. I had some gas but I thought I was mostly passed it, and was getting ready to bump up to 2 TBSPs. Then one Saturday I happened to eat a lot of fermented food; sauerkraut and Kombucha. I also took a priobiotic and got a slight stomach ache. I woke up the next day shivering and my body was in total pain. I was in the bathroom all the next morning and was in pain for two days. My knees and torso really hurt and it was painful to move. Anyone experience anything like this?
    Sounds to me like rotovirus or norovirus, common stomach flu, or a touch of food poisoning. More than one person has gone down from spoiled sauerkraut.
    Let those who have dyspepsia—and that means a multitude of ills which the American people in their luxurious habits are fast bringing upon themselves—try for a time the potato diet. We have tried it not for months, but a few days at a time—long enough to satisfy us of its good effects. Newspaper article from 1849

Visit my blog: VEGETABLE PHARM

bwhit is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tatertot View Post
    Sounds to me like rotovirus or norovirus, common stomach flu, or a touch of food poisoning. More than one person has gone down from spoiled sauerkraut.
    My wife also ate the kraut and she's fine. I think it must have been more of a cumulative effect.

magicmerl is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I almost always have poor short term memory because I have Executive Functioning Disorder.
    Made me think of this

Pointy-Haired_Boss.jpg
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right