Page 71 of 207 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381121171 ... LastLast

Thread: Resistant Starches page 71

Paleophil is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Some amount of flatulence could be good (probably not stomach gas so much, though). Even the Inuit had a "Fart Man" spirit, who is the most powerful spirit. Matshishkapeu - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And inland Eskimos ate wild tubers Eskimo potato - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, both raw and cooked. Even V. Stefansson reported this in The Fat of the Land and ate tubers such as potatoes himself for most of his life.

It might help folks see the benefits of RS and feel more comfortable about it if they measured their FBG and before-meal and after-meal BG, both with and without consuming RS. Then one can see whether there really is any hypoglycemia or hyperglycemia or good results. Some VLC advocates like Dr. Perlmutter of Grain Brain emphasize over and over how important it is to get BG down even lower than what conventional advice tends to recommend (he said in a podcast interview - http://www.fatburningman.com/dr-davi...er-grain-brain - that the NEJM reported a substantial increased risk of dementia at FBG of 100 to 105, which he called "nowhere near ideal"). RS has so far done more to do that for me than anything else. My own FBG actually gradually rose on a low-RS, LC WOE from the 80s up to a max of 114 before I started experimenting with RS (fruits and easily-digestible "safe starches" hadn't helped).

I've also noted that I'm feeling generally a bit warmer and my basal and mid-day temperatures are running higher and more consistent than in the past, interestingly right in line with the numbers that Ray Peat and Broda Barnes reported as healthy. So a thermometer seems to be another helpful tool to track the effects of RS.

Also, I've had a one point increase in my blood oxygen saturation (from 98% to 99%), as measured by a pulse oximeter (which someone recommended to me as a useful tool), and it's more consistent (always 99%), though it's such a small change that it's difficult to know whether it was due to the RS. It would be cool if I could hit 100% some day, which is ideal and not unheard of.

I see that Banjosal reported 100% BOS. Has anyone else here gotten that? I'm curious as to how rare that is and whether there's any correlation with any particular approaches. I've tested several people and haven't witnessed it personally yet, though I've now seen a couple folks report it on the Internet.

YMMV
    Last edited by Paleophil; 01-06-2014 at 06:59 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by tatertot View Post
    Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong.
    Notes I may point to:
    1) WARNING: beware of chronic very low carb diets, especially ones low in resistant starch and other Paleo/Primal prebiotics
    2) I try to do what works best for me, and often fail. YMMV. Don't imitate me--find what works for you. The only fact I know for certain is that of my ignorance. I’m not prescribing.
    3) It may aid discussion if neither of us tries to speak for the other

breadsauce is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryancarter1986 View Post
    Lol nowhere in the uk has stock of bobs , I just ordered off iherb, $8 shipping though. The ps I got from uk , tong master doesn't have details of traceability and production method

From London England UK
    A lot of health food shops stock Infinity Foods potato flour which is made from raw potatoes and is in fact potato starch. I emailed them to check this.

Happy Paleo Girl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleophil View Post

For those who don't know already, Chris Kresser is a chiropractor and an integrative medicine practitioner. When some folks see "doctor," they think allopathic MD.
    He's actually a licensed acupuncturist (LAc), not a chiropractor.

Skylark is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Thanks. I'm letting myself get a bit too anxious about this and not trying anything! If it doesn't work, I won't be any MORE constipated than initially . I'll go with 1.5 tsp morning & evening in conjunction with high Vit C doses and see how that goes.
    I feel a little wary of contradicting Tatertot , but in the Robb Wolf/Chris Kresser podcast he posted (well worth a listen), they suggest that in their experience some people may need to start with a very small dose, maybe just 1/2 tsp, and increase gradually, to avoid stomach pains and constipation. I charged straight in with 2tbs/day and suffered constipation, something I never suffer from! So I've cut right back and will take it more slowly. I suppose the quantity you can tolerate depends on the starting condition of your gut bacteria.

Paleophil is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Paleo Girl View Post
    He's actually a licensed acupuncturist (LAc), not a chiropractor.
    Thanks for the correction.

Ugh, I knew that. I guess RS hasn't eliminated my brain farts.
    Quote Originally Posted by tatertot View Post
    Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong.
    Notes I may point to:
    1) WARNING: beware of chronic very low carb diets, especially ones low in resistant starch and other Paleo/Primal prebiotics
    2) I try to do what works best for me, and often fail. YMMV. Don't imitate me--find what works for you. The only fact I know for certain is that of my ignorance. I’m not prescribing.
    3) It may aid discussion if neither of us tries to speak for the other

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Skylark View Post
    I feel a little wary of contradicting Tatertot , but in the Robb Wolf/Chris Kresser podcast he posted (well worth a listen), they suggest that in their experience some people may need to start with a very small dose, maybe just 1/2 tsp, and increase gradually, to avoid stomach pains and constipation. I charged straight in with 2tbs/day and suffered constipation, something I never suffer from! So I've cut right back and will take it more slowly. I suppose the quantity you can tolerate depends on the starting condition of your gut bacteria.
    I started with 1/2 tsp and that went okay. I had worked up to 1 tsp with no issues and was working on 1.5/1. Maybe I should back off instead =P I'm sure my gut bacteria is a mess.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

RittenRemedy is offline Senior Member
    When I did my potato starch thing, I started with 1 tablespoon. Got very stiff and a little bloated (though I'm dealing with some issues regarding... Stuff). I gave it a rest and then tried with 1 teaspoon, same thing. I kinda gave up after that, but I have been able to tolerate more starches, about half of which end up being cooked/cooled as per RS3(?).

Maybe I will try again with even less. I think my flora are very weak or possibly nonexistent for some strains.

E-rik is offline Junior Member
    Hi everyone,

I've just received the results from the 2200 GI Effects Comprehensive Profile from Metametrix/Genova test which I did in December 2013. Before I did the test I wasn't taking any potato starch. I was following PHD, but generally avoiding FODMAPS (no garlic, onion, leeks, etc.), resistant starch (no cold potatoes), and fructose (no fruit/berries/etc.), because of digestive issues. I suspected that I had SIBO, which is why I did the test in the first place, in order to find out what was going on in my gut. I suppose I'm a good candidate for a potato starch experiment.

I've attached the results of the test in this post (I hope it works).

The good:
    - No yeast, no parasites, no opportunistic bacteria.
    - Lactoferrin, mucus, WBC’s, PH, RBC’s, Pancreatic elastase 1, tryglicerides, putrefactive SCFA, LCFA’s and fecal fat and cholesterol are all good within normal range, so no problems there.

The bad:
    - High Clostridia spp. (11.4, normal ranges: 1.5 – 6.2)
    - High lactobacillus spp. (8.4, normal ranges: 1.8 – 7.8)
    - High Firmicutes (79%), low bacteroidetes (21%)

My symptoms:
    - Chronic nasal congestion (gets worse after meals containing carbs)
    - Eczema/rash (gets much worse after eating fructose)
    - Fatigue, poor exercise tolerance
    - Digestive issues from FODMAPS, fructose and dairy
    - Fermented foods and probiotics containing lactobacilli give me digestive issues (bloating, indigestion, heartburn, belching). The reason for that is definitely the fact that I have to many lactobacilli.

This is my plan:
    - Every morning and evening I'll take 2 TBSP potato starch + 2 tsp psyllium husk + two big glasses of water.
    - Every morning I'll take a prescript-assist capsule (SBO's).
    - Additional fiber from a diversity of vegetables and cooked then refrigerated potatoes and rice.
    - Repeat the 2200 GI Effects Comprehensive Profile in a few months.

Any comments, suggestions, feedback, would be greatly appreciated. If there is any knowledgeable person around here who can help me interpret my test results I would be very grateful. I haven't received any interpretation because I ordered it without the help a health practitioner.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ryancarter1986 is offline Senior Member
    That's the problem with Geneva they do no analysis what so ever .

From London England UK

tatertot is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I like that people are experimenting with dose. I know lots of people on 1TBS or less and liking it. I like to aim for upper end, but I think RS from all sources should be about 20-40g per day for most people. 40g is like 4TBS of potato starch or 1 green banana, 1 cooked and cooled potato, and a serving of beans. It's all a balancing act. On days when you eat NO RS food, take some potato starch. On days when you eat a lot of RS food, take none. Or, just get in a habit of taking 1TBS a day and eat some RS foods, too. There's no true science behind it other than trying to keep some RS in your system for gut bugs to eat and convert into SCFA which has numerous downstream effects.
    Let those who have dyspepsia—and that means a multitude of ills which the American people in their luxurious habits are fast bringing upon themselves—try for a time the potato diet. We have tried it not for months, but a few days at a time—long enough to satisfy us of its good effects. Newspaper article from 1849

Visit my blog: VEGETABLE PHARM