Page 7 of 155 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast

Thread: Resistant Starches page 7

IvanNikolov is offline Junior Member
    Shop Now
    Otzi, thanks for posting excerpts of my article here (and pinging back). I wrote it about 4 years ago. I need to update it a bit although it's still very complete the way it is now..

I had a specialty (GF, low-GI, low-Omega-6, high-protein, etc.) bakery for about 3.5 years (just closed it this past June) and I had a chance to experiment with the resistant starch that's commercially available for baking applications from National Starch (now a part of Ingredion). I used it in a low-carb GF pizza crust. I remember I got a compliment on the same article from the NS rep back then.

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    And I can't help but keep wondering why if everything ends up as fat anyway, why bother with all these complicated food substances and miracle hacks to get there? Just eat real food and let it happen however it may.

If you want a food with copious resistant starch, why not try seeking out the elusive purple sweet potato. I'm pretty sure that it's probably got the most resistant starch of anything, although it's totally based on speculation due to how it tasted and its unusual texture. That, and the ultimate result of eating it, so to speak. I do have to say these are extremely delicious and if I ever see them again I will definitely buy more. I'm tempted to order a box.
    Purple Sweet Potatoes (Purple Yam) - Home of the Stokes Purple Sweet Potato - Stokes Foods, Inc.
    It's not that it's converted to fat, but that it is converted to a fat that directly feeds the cells in your colon. I think RS is the only thing that can do this in any quantity.

Purple potatoes...big thumbs up! Full of antioxidants, too.

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by IvanNikolov View Post
    Otzi, thanks for posting excerpts of my article here (and pinging back). I wrote it about 4 years ago. I need to update it a bit although it's still very complete the way it is now..

I had a specialty (GF, low-GI, low-Omega-6, high-protein, etc.) bakery for about 3.5 years (just closed it this past June) and I had a chance to experiment with the resistant starch that's commercially available for baking applications from National Starch (now a part of Ingredion). I used it in a low-carb GF pizza crust. I remember I got a compliment on the same article from the NS rep back then.
    That was a very good article! Not much written in RS. It's almost like it is passed over by everyone. I think people know about 'dietary fiber' but it seems that RS is in a class of it's own.

Reading this thread do you have any words of wisdom for us? Resistant Starch, holy grail or just so-so?

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by IvanNikolov View Post

I just looked up your website...we may have to induct you as an honorary paleo-dude! Your recent blog,http://www.ivannikolov.com/how-to-ea...o-lose-weight/ , pretty much sums up what we do around here:

Rule No. 1:

Eat two and maximum three meals a day. I’d suggest you stick to two. How do you do that? Simple: by skipping breakfast. If you want to know more why this works – it’s called Intermittent Fasting, meaning in the 24-hour period you dedicate less of your waking hours to eating and more hours to expending energy (burning fat), while maintaining high metabolism.

Rule No. 2:

Very simple: Don’t eat man-made foods – nothing that comes in a box with an endless Ingredients list. Another way to tell if a food is man-made or not is if you can name the food. For example: broccoli is broccoli – you can recognize it and can name it. MNM’s… I don’t know what they are! Do you?How To Eat Daily to Lose Weight - IvanNikolov.com
    And this sounds very familiar to me....

My personal theory and solution is the 10k 80-20 rule. I wrote expensively about it in my MoreSugarFor.Me blog, but in simple terms it say this: Ask yourself if the food that you have before you right this moment was also available to humans 10 thousand years ago. And, if it wasn’t (like doughnut for example) only afford yourself such food in 20 percent of the time, but eat wholesome foods that were available 10 K years ago in 80 percent of the time.
    Last edited by otzi; 12-23-2012 at 07:01 PM.

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    SB, the purple sweet potato is not so elusive.

If you have any Asian markets where you are, bust a move and get
    yourself just ONE potato... don't order a box, you may hate them.

I tried them months ago, they were okay (to me), but I found them a little
    dry no matter HOW I cooked them. Needed a big glassawater to get them down.

Julie

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    WAIT so the delicious purple sweet potatoes that I used to always eat has copious amount of resistance starch? YESSSSS.....

I always noticed that they were more filling than the pasty yellow and red sweet potatoes, too...

Purple sweet potato is literally my favorite carb, evar

Btw I just boil them

jo
    jo is offline Senior Member
    Interesting paper on resistant starch in the Chinese diet:

http://apjcn.nhri.org.tw/server/APJC...23_274-282.pdf

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jo View Post
    Interesting paper on resistant starch in the Chinese diet:

http://apjcn.nhri.org.tw/server/APJC...23_274-282.pdf
    Good find! I will read thoroughly!

In general, tubers and legumes
    had more RS than cereals. Among the selected foods,
    potato showed the highest amount of RS.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I have no idea if purple sweet potatoes have resistant starch. I am just guessing that they do. They have a very peculiar starchiness. I tried one and liked it. It seemed to me that I could probably cut thick slices, let them dry, then bake them so that they had a smooth, dry outside and a baked, soft inside. Then use the slices like bread for little sandwiches.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

Ouis is offline Member
    PrimalCon New York
    bumping this thread to ask about tapioca--which I believe is an excellent source of RS--I made some up and sliced half a green banana into it for lunch. Any opinions as to whether the pearl tapioca is superior to the granulated in terms of resistant starch?? Otzi??

Page 7 of 155 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast