Page 63 of 215 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573113163 ... LastLast

Thread: Resistant Starches page 63

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldie View Post
    I had the same experience. The next time I dry some, I'm going to slice them very thin but not dry them for as long.
    I sliced mine on a mandoline so they were pretty thin, I also tasted them during the drying process and they were no better. I really like making tostones with green plantains but I guess then that changes the RS.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I found that dried plantains are so crumbly they can be ground to a powder in a regular blender.

My problem is I don't get to them right away, and in a day or two they have started to ripen. I like them ripe for cooking, but they're not so good for flour.

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    I guess I've been doing this potato starch thing for about a week. Time to increase the dose. From 1 tsp 2x daily to 1.5 tsp in AM and 1 tsp in PM? Or 1.5 tsp AM & PM?
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

Eureka5280 is offline Senior Member
    Does anybody know if potato starch will cause inflammation in people with nightshade sensitivities? I don't know if I am sensitive or not, but was curious.

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eureka5280 View Post
    Does anybody know if potato starch will cause inflammation in people with nightshade sensitivities? I don't know if I am sensitive or not, but was curious.
    Allergens are typically proteins, so it's unlikely.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Grafter is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    I guess I've been doing this potato starch thing for about a week. Time to increase the dose. From 1 tsp 2x daily to 1.5 tsp in AM and 1 tsp in PM? Or 1.5 tsp AM & PM?
    Well, how is your body doing on it. as there isn't any specific protocol, more of a see how it goes. that being said, I'm more inclined to recommend the latter of your options, as increasing it overall seems like there may be more pay off, as well as it gives you more options to dial it back if you are having problems with the increased doses.
    turquoisepassion - I MUST KNOW ALL THE THINGS

Paleophil is offline Senior Member
    A Ray Peat-RS Synthesis

While Ray Peat doesn't currently embrace resistant starch, it fits nicely with many of his views:

CARBON DIOXIDE IS ESSENTIAL TO LIFE AND HEALTH, PER RAY PEAT

"Considering the universal importance of carbon dioxide to life, the ways it interacts with all of the important substances that make up organisms, that it is involved closely with ATP synthesis and other "energy-related" processes, that it participates intimately in the regulation of water and ions, that it is therapeutic in a range of conditions including angina pectoris, hypoxia, epilepsy, inflammation, shock, lipid peroxidation, pneumonia, and asthma, I think we can at least conclude that it is a largely overlooked mediator between chemical energy and life processes." - Ray Peat, Energy, structure, and carbon dioxide: A realistic view of the organism, Energy, structure, and carbon dioxide: A realistic view of the organism

RS-FED BACTERIA GENERATE CARBON DIOXIDE

"What is Resistant Starch?
    Starch in foods can be categorized as rapidly digestible starch (RDS), slowly digestible starch (SDS), and RS. The term ‘resistant starch’ was coined by Hans Englyst in the early 1980s. RS is a starch fraction that is resistant to digestion. It is not absorbed in the small intestine, but escapes to the large intestine where it is fermented by colonic microflora. This reduces colonic pH and generates hydrogen, carbon dioxide, acetate, propionate, and butyrate that help improve gut-health." (Resistant Starch, Published: 27 Jul 2004 by Ivan Fernandez, https://www.frost.com/sublib/display...id=AIBN-55JCHJ)

BUTYRIC ACID IS BENEFICIAL TO HEALTH, PER RAY PEAT

"Various saturated fatty acids, including butyric, octanoic, and palmitic, have protective effects on mitochondrial respiration." - Ray Peat, Estrogen and brain aging in men and women: Depression, energy, stress, raypeat.com/articles/articles/estrogen-age-stress.shtml

"Butyric acid is used to treat cancer" - Ray Peat, Coconut Oil, raypeat.com/articles/articles/coconut-oil.shtml?

RS GENERATES BUTYRIC ACID VIA BACTERIA, PROBABLY MORE THAN OTHER PREBIOTICS

"The contribution of RS to fermentation and colonic physiology seems to be greater than that of NSP. However, the lack of a generally accepted analytical procedure that accommodates the major influences on RS means this is yet to be established." (Short-Chain Fatty Acids and Human Colonic Function: Roles of Resistant Starch and Nonstarch Polysaccharides, Short-Chain Fatty Acids and Human Colonic Function: Roles of Resistant Starch and Nonstarch Polysaccharides)

“What Resistant starch lacks in breadth, it makes up in precision. Resistant starch is a laser-guided missile aimed at the two most important strains of mucosal bacteria in one of the most crucial clusters of bacteria in the human gut.” – Mr. Heisenbug, Gut vs. Gut: This is how & why Resistant Starch is working. | Mr. Heisenbug

GABA (Gamma-Butyric Acid) IS BENEFICIAL TO HEALTH, PER RAY PEAT

"GABA opposes estrogen and inhibits the growth of breast cancer" - Ray Peat, "Gelatin, stress, longevity," Gelatin, stress, longevity

SOME OF THE RS-EATING BACTERIA (Bifidobacterium) GENERATE GABA

“inclusion of resistant starches in the diet has been shown to increase the population of bifidobacteria in the intestinal tract." (Adhesion of Bifidobacteria to Granular Starch and Its Implications in Probiotic Technologies, Adhesion of Bifidobacteria to Granular Starch and Its Implications in Probiotic Technologies)

"Bifidobacterium dentium ... is capable of secreting large amounts of gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA)." Intestinal Bacteria Produce Neurotransmitter, Could Play Role in Inflammation, June 17, 2012,
    Intestinal bacteria produce neurotransmitter, could play role in inflammation

CALCIUM AND MG ARE IMPORTANT TO HEALTH, PER RAY PEAT

Persons suffering from arthritis, bursitis, scleroderma, hardening of the arteries and any abnormality where calcium deposits or spurs may cause pain ... can never improve until their calcium and magnesium intakes are adequate." - Ray Peat, Calcium and Disease: Hypertension, organ calcification, & shock, vs. respiratory energy

RS MAY IMPROVE CALCIUM AND MG ABSORPTION

"retrograded resistant starch raises magnesium and calcium absorption in rats" (Effects of Dietary Fibers on Magnesium Absorption in Animals and Humans, Effects of Dietary Fibers on Magnesium Absorption in Animals and Humans)

BETTER BODY TEMPERATURE

Many people, including myself, report body temperature rising toward the levels advocated by Ray Peat and Broda Barnes, after some time consuming RS.

Maybe RS will get added to the Peatarian toolbox some day?
    Last edited by Paleophil; 12-22-2013 at 06:15 PM.

Eureka5280 is offline Senior Member
    Does anybody else get a perverse sense of satisfaction from the increased flatulence when starting on potato starch?

I like to imagine I'm shipping ammunition down to a ragtag band of bacterial freedom fighters, waging a great battle for the peace and liberty of my intestines. FeelsGoodMan.jpg
    Last edited by Eureka5280; 12-22-2013 at 07:31 PM.

zizou is offline Senior Member
    Lol That's hilarious!

choppedliver is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Potato starch could cause nightshade reaction if you have RA or such. But fortunately, there are other options like plantain/green banan flour which have RS. Barry Farms make plantain flour, which is really green banana flour. Its RS content is supposedly comparable to potato starch but perhaps a little less effective.

Quote Originally Posted by Eureka5280 View Post