Page 58 of 159 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068108158 ... LastLast

Thread: Resistant Starches page 58

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    No biomagic to report yet but I gotta confess PS in sour cream veggie dip and coco/choco pudding is pretty painless delivery.
    34//6'3"/180

Lots of: urban hiking, cycling, sprinting
    Lots of: fresh meat, seafood, eggs, organs, tubers, starch fruits, vegetables, meat fat, dairy fat, oil fruits
    Some: cured meat, dairy protein, sweet fruits, rice, pulses, tree nuts, oil seeds
    Minimal: soy, refined proteins, sugar, liquid carbohydrate, grains, refined oils, peanuts

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I think the gas would be less obnoxious if I wasn't eating so much kimchi. But I have a fresh bucket of it, and what a shame not to consume mass quantities.

Ryancarter1986 is offline Senior Member
    My update this week.

I'm on 1/2 tbsp PS with water down the hatch , with a probiotic every night .
    Sauerkraut about 400grams a week, still getting RS from my carbs rice & potatoes but do miss the fresh taste of potatoes or rice from the oven or cooker, but it does save me time when prepping my meals.

So, sleep feeling deeper, have noticed a few more spots appear on my face ?? Gas has gone down a little but worst in early morning but are potent . My digestive system seems to be working much more efficient , stools are more formed frequent and darker.

From London England UK

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    I have re-introduced PS with kefir, but in smaller amounts. 3 teaspoons in kefir three times per day - no distress with wind (gas) this time! But - does the potato starch and kefir need to be taken (that makes it sound like a medicine - I mean, of course, eaten) an hour or so before a meal, in hopes that it has exited the stomach, or does it not really matter if it is immediately followed by a meal?

The results on sleep are spectacular. I have always been a very poor sleeper and I am now getting pretty well 8 hours instead of 3 or 4 hours, several hours awake, perhaps another hour later and feeling tired a lot. Brilliant!

Quote Originally Posted by Ryancarter1986 View Post
    My update this week.

I'm on 1/2 tbsp PS with water down the hatch , with a probiotic every night .
    Sauerkraut about 400grams a week, still getting RS from my carbs rice & potatoes but do miss the fresh taste of potatoes or rice from the oven or cooker, but it does save me time when prepping my meals.

From London England UK
    I do have some potatoes cooked, cooled and either eaten as potato salad or fried in beef fat until crisp (yum!), but I eat potatoes and rice mainly because I like them and rely on cold hummus, raw bananas, cooked beans etc for RS to go with the potato starch. I can't face trying to optimise EVERYTHING I eat - they are still delicious and nutritious!

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    I started my potato starch supplementing last night! I'm going to take 1 tsp in the morning & evening. I'm also taking Saccharomyces boulardii (Jarrow Forumulas) in the AM, as it was recommended by someone else here to treat yeast infections. If it helps, I may move on to another probiotic later. Not sure if I should take it twice a day though.

The starch is pretty tasteless, but I mixed into egg nog last night and a protein shake this morning.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

For anyone in the UK, Infinity Foods have just confirmed to me that their potato flour is made from RAW potato. It is available from many health food shops.....

Happy Paleo Girl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleophil View Post
    > "I found something that said there was a form of butyric acid in butter AND honey! The form is tributyrin, a form of butyric acid which is actually used in research studies to help the butyric acid not have such a short half-life." Butyrate Series, Part 6 | The HSD

> "Tributyrin (TB), a BA [butyric acid] prodrug present in milk fat and honey, has more favorable pharmacokinetic properties than BA, and its oral administration is also better tolerated. In vitro and in vivo studies have shown that TB acts on multiple anticancer cellular and molecular targets without affecting non-cancerous cells." Anticarcinogenic actions of tributyrin, a ... [Curr Drug Targets. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

Fascinating. Butter is obvious, but I'll bet that most Primal/Paleo dieters don't know that honey contains a butter acid compound that was found by at least one study to be more effective against cancer than plain butyric acid on its own.
    Great news! I eat plenty of butter and don't shy away from some good, raw, local honey either. Sometimes as a snack I'll cut a slice of salted kerrygold and top with honey. Good stuff. And butyric acid rich!

Happy Paleo Girl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tatertot View Post
    In this case, you'll want the Psyllium Husk. The husk actually has more prebiotic fiber than the seed. I read Mark's article, too, and was a bit confused. The husk contains a prebiotic fiber called mucilage which is very important. When mixed with RS, it does some amazing things.

READ MORE HERE

In the study, they use corn starch as RS source, it works the same with potato starch. The starch somehow get swept up with the gelled psyllium and travel further down the intestine, which is a good thing.
    I get so frustrated by conflicting information. The more I read up on psyllium seed powder, the better it sounded. I was about ready to pull the trigger. But I ended up going with the psyllium hull powder that Dr. BG recommends. I'm already getting some with my morning PS dose from a supplement called GI Fortify, so I'll use the straight psyllium hull powder with my evening dose. It does make sense that it helps the RS travel further down the intestines.

eats.meats.west is online now Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Odd occurrence - curious if happened to anyone else or the reason why.

Normally a half hour after a 1 - 1.5 tablespoons of PS in Kefir I have a gas buildup. Not a major deal, you can set your watch to it. Yesterday I forgot to take my Vit C (ascorbic acid powder) so I mixed it into the Kefir/PS. This delayed the normal gas for several hours.

Am I onto a new scientific discovery?