Page 57 of 215 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967107157 ... LastLast

Thread: Resistant Starches page 57

breadsauce is online now Senior Member
    Well, after a couple of weeks f having 2 teaspoons of potato starch mixed in either water or kefir two times day, I finally upped it to 4 teaspoons 3 times a day.OMG, the wind! (gas!) AWFUL!!! And actually to a point of being painful, so that sleeping is affected. I shall cut back today and tomorrow (visiting the dentist tomorrow morning...) and reintroduce on Friday.

Psyllium seed powder - I am planning to blend some into todays batch of hummus when I make it and add more liquid than usual to allow for the gelling properties of the powder. Presumably hummus (chick peas) is a reasonable source of RS?

tatertot is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by breadsauce View Post
    Well, after a couple of weeks f having 2 teaspoons of potato starch mixed in either water or kefir two times day, I finally upped it to 4 teaspoons 3 times a day.OMG, the wind! (gas!) AWFUL!!! And actually to a point of being painful, so that sleeping is affected. I shall cut back today and tomorrow (visiting the dentist tomorrow morning...) and reintroduce on Friday.

Psyllium seed powder - I am planning to blend some into todays batch of hummus when I make it and add more liquid than usual to allow for the gelling properties of the powder. Presumably hummus (chick peas) is a reasonable source of RS?

Sorry 'bout the wind! It happens. Play with dose and it will all work out. Yes, hummus is good for RS.
    Let those who have dyspepsia—and that means a multitude of ills which the American people in their luxurious habits are fast bringing upon themselves—try for a time the potato diet. We have tried it not for months, but a few days at a time—long enough to satisfy us of its good effects. Newspaper article from 1849

Visit my blog: VEGETABLE PHARM

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tatertot View Post
    I want to try Hi-Maize one of these days. it's about half the strength of potato starch, 5g per TBS vs 8g for PS. Just to keep in mind when shooting for 20-40g/day, What's your cookie dough recipe?
    I used your cookie dough recipe, but substituting half Hi-Maize for half the plantain flour. I made the plantain flour from plantains I dried and then ground in the blender.

I need a better way to dry plantains. My oven dries them too slowly to do a lot, and my dehydrator gets too hot.

Happy Paleo Girl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lotusberries View Post
    Oh wow! I've been experiencing this exact same thing. Started with potato starch a few weeks ago and I've been clenching like crazy, even when I'm awake. I've been wearing my bite splint around the house because I can't stop clenching my jaw. And my sleep has been weird. I used to be able to fall asleep fast and sleep all night, but since the PS it's been really intermittent. Sleep for 3 hours, awake for 3 hours, maybe fall asleep again for an hour and a half if I'm lucky. I didn't even think of it being connected to the PS so I'm thinking of stopping for a week and see if it improves.
    I thought for sure I'd be the only one w/this side effect!
    Yesterday I increased from 2 1/2 tsp. twice daily to 1 Tbsp. twice. My sleep was disrupted last night. But I wasn't clenching as much! I'll stick at 2 Tbsps/day until my sleep improves, I don't think it will take more than a couple of days. Otherwise, I'm feeling fine on 2 Tbsps. Not much gas, and what there is thankfully doesn't smell at all!

How much potato starch are you taking, lotus? And did you ramp up slowly or dive in? You might just want to back off of the amount you're taking. When I initially jumped in too quickly, I slept horribly. I dropped the dose down and my sleep improved. Last night was the first night it wasn't great, but I still felt like I was sleeping deeply, despite tossing and turning.

Let those who have dyspepsia—and that means a multitude of ills which the American people in their luxurious habits are fast bringing upon themselves—try for a time the potato diet. We have tried it not for months, but a few days at a time—long enough to satisfy us of its good effects. Newspaper article from 1849

I made another batch. This one was 1/3 tapioca starch, 1/3 hi-maize, and 1/3 potato starch, as I was out of plantain flour. I then added another 2/3 cup of hi-maize, as the dough was too soft. Then I added 2oz of melted unsweetened chocolate and 2oz of cocoa.

Eating cookie dough for science! It's a win!

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    I made another batch. This one was 1/3 tapioca starch, 1/3 hi-maize, and 1/3 potato starch, as I was out of plantain flour. I then added another 2/3 cup of hi-maize, as the dough was too soft. Then I added 2oz of melted unsweetened chocolate and 2oz of cocoa.

Eating cookie dough for science! It's a win!
    Have you tried rolling them in balls and freezing? Makes it harder to eat them too fast.

Quote Originally Posted by tatertot View Post
    Have you tried rolling them in balls and freezing? Makes it harder to eat them too fast.
    The first batch is in the freezer. I think it's easier to handle them if the starch content is higher than the recipe originally called for.

lotusberries is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Paleo Girl View Post
    I thought for sure I'd be the only one w/this side effect!
    Yesterday I increased from 2 1/2 tsp. twice daily to 1 Tbsp. twice. My sleep was disrupted last night. But I wasn't clenching as much! I'll stick at 2 Tbsps/day until my sleep improves, I don't think it will take more than a couple of days. Otherwise, I'm feeling fine on 2 Tbsps. Not much gas, and what there is thankfully doesn't smell at all!

How much potato starch are you taking, lotus? And did you ramp up slowly or dive in? You might just want to back off of the amount you're taking. When I initially jumped in too quickly, I slept horribly. I dropped the dose down and my sleep improved. Last night was the first night it wasn't great, but I still felt like I was sleeping deeply, despite tossing and turning.
    I started with 1 tbsp, but after a few days dropped it down to about 1 tsp because of the gas. I also had the odourless gas, but it was constant and I just couldn't handle it, so it's been about 1 tsp a day for the last few weeks. I'm starting the potato diet again tomorrow so I'm going to completely stop the potato starch and just rely on the potatoes and see what happens.

Paleophil is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    > "I found something that said there was a form of butyric acid in butter AND honey! The form is tributyrin, a form of butyric acid which is actually used in research studies to help the butyric acid not have such a short half-life." Butyrate Series, Part 6 | The HSD

> "Tributyrin (TB), a BA [butyric acid] prodrug present in milk fat and honey, has more favorable pharmacokinetic properties than BA, and its oral administration is also better tolerated. In vitro and in vivo studies have shown that TB acts on multiple anticancer cellular and molecular targets without affecting non-cancerous cells." Anticarcinogenic actions of tributyrin, a ... [Curr Drug Targets. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

Fascinating. Butter is obvious, but I'll bet that most Primal/Paleo dieters don't know that honey contains a butter acid compound that was found by at least one study to be more effective against cancer than plain butyric acid on its own.
    Last edited by Paleophil; 12-11-2013 at 07:52 PM.