Page 55 of 215 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765105155 ... LastLast
Results 541 to 550 of 2148

Thread: Resistant Starches page 55

  1. #541
    Annika's Avatar
    Annika is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    370
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    i am noticing that this plantain flour has a bite to it - almost spicy. is that normal?
    What brand of plantain flour are you using?
    My blog: Pretty Good Paleo
    On Twitter: @NEKLocalvore

  2. #542
    eKatherine's Avatar
    eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Portland
    Posts
    5,425
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    Tatertot I'm a little surprised that you can get plantains where you are. I've only seen them a couple of times where I live. Maybe nobody bought them but me.
    I think it has to do with immigrant communities in the area driving demand. I live in Maine, and every supermarket sells them.

  3. #543
    Annika's Avatar
    Annika is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    370
    My husband and I are brand new to resistant starch. We have been having some potato starch (1-2 TBS) each day for almost a week, and both of us have been feeling kinda crappy. Nothing major, just some annoying indigestion. Not a lot of farting as is commonly reported, but bloating and generally unhappy tummies. I haven't seen many reports of indigestion. I assume it's part of an adjustment period, but it's kind of a drag.

    Has anyone else experienced this? I think we are going to take a break and try again in a few days. We have had a lot of stress this week, so that could be affecting our tummies too.
    My blog: Pretty Good Paleo
    On Twitter: @NEKLocalvore

  4. #544
    tatertot's Avatar
    tatertot is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    622
    Quote Originally Posted by Annika View Post
    My husband and I are brand new to resistant starch. We have been having some potato starch (1-2 TBS) each day for almost a week, and both of us have been feeling kinda crappy. Nothing major, just some annoying indigestion. Not a lot of farting as is commonly reported, but bloating and generally unhappy tummies. I haven't seen many reports of indigestion. I assume it's part of an adjustment period, but it's kind of a drag.

    Has anyone else experienced this? I think we are going to take a break and try again in a few days. We have had a lot of stress this week, so that could be affecting our tummies too.
    I've never heard complaints of upset tummies. Farting, yes. Whatever you feel, back off the dose and readjust. Add more as it feels more natural. The eventual goal, IMO, should be 20-40g RS per day from real food and supplemented potato starch or another raw starch like green banana, dried plantains, or even Hi-Maize corn starch (sold as King Arthur's I believe)
    Let those who have dyspepsia—and that means a multitude of ills which the American people in their luxurious habits are fast bringing upon themselves—try for a time the potato diet. We have tried it not for months, but a few days at a time—long enough to satisfy us of its good effects. Newspaper article from 1849


    Visit my blog: VEGETABLE PHARM

  5. #545
    dazygyrl's Avatar
    dazygyrl is offline Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    iowa
    Posts
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by tatertot View Post
    I've never heard complaints of upset tummies. Farting, yes. Whatever you feel, back off the dose and readjust. Add more as it feels more natural. The eventual goal, IMO, should be 20-40g RS per day from real food and supplemented potato starch or another raw starch like green banana, dried plantains, or even Hi-Maize corn starch (sold as King Arthur's I believe)
    what's the best way to do this as real food?

  6. #546
    Happy Paleo Girl's Avatar
    Happy Paleo Girl is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    181
    Quote Originally Posted by Barnyard View Post
    So, I had the opposite effect as it relates to sleep......I took a TBSP of potato starch in a goats milk, kefir, full fat greek yogurt, protein powder, frozen peaches-smoothie around 3pm yesterday, then another TBSP in my evening desert of full fat greek yogurt, honey, and raspberries......also had about 200gms of baked potato, but not cooked and cooled so probably not significant amount of RS, along with 4oz. of grass-fed beef liver for dinner......and I don't think I fell into a deep sleep all night. Now, I have had this issue off and on now for a couple of years, so it could be just 'one of those nights', but I must admit I was disappointed after hearing some of the testimonials about sleep and dreaming.......but it was almost like a steady level of glucose all night kept me awake? Any thoughts? I am relatively stress-free, did some in-house calisthenics for exercise.....
    I had this same issue when I went from 1 tsp. of potato starch to 1 Tablespoon. I had been sleeping well with 1 tsp. morning and night. When I got all excited and jumped up to 1 Tablespoon, I didn't sleep well at all. And I take klonopin to help me sleep! I had to take a double dose and I still didn't sleep well that night. My goal is to eventually be sleeping so well from the potato starch that I can discontinue the klonopin.

    The lesson is to increase slowly. I gradually increased from 1 tsp. morning and night to 1 1/2 for a couple of days, then 2 tsp., etc. If I'm not getting crazy gas and am sleeping well, then I know I can go ahead and increase again. My sleep went back to being really good the night after the 1 Tbsp. experiment, when I dropped down to 1 1/2 tsp. Give that a shot, it should help! Tomorrow I'll be up to 1 Tbsp. morning and night, and that's with only a week of incremental increases. In another week I'll be at the recommended 4 Tbsp. a day.

  7. #547
    Happy Paleo Girl's Avatar
    Happy Paleo Girl is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    181
    Continuing my RS update from above..

    After I dropped the RS foods from my diet and focused solely on slowly increasing the potato starch, things improved. I lost the weight and bloat that I had gained, and then some. I'm sleeping well and have great energy. The TMI aspect of things is phenomenal. It's hard to tell how much of that I can credit solely to the potato starch though. Just prior to beginning to supplement with it, I started taking GI Fortify (which has some psyllium powder in it) and Amazing Greens, which has some fiber in it as well. I've been able to back off of the magnesium citrate that I was taking for the sole purpose of keeping things moving.

    I take the potato starch with a soil based organism pre/probiotic (Prescript Assist). That's on an empty stomach in the morning, along w/the Amazing Greens and GI Fortify. And I take it just before going to bed at night, ideally a couple of hours after having eaten dinner, w/another Prescript Assist.

    So far, so good! I'm getting good vibrations from my body telling me that it likes what I'm doing. After having a pretty restrictive diet for awhile (I never knew what would cause bloat and discomfort), I've started adding in some more foods. My veggies were limited to green beans, zucchini and asparagus for awhile, but I recently had some roasted small potatoes and even some kale sauteed in bacon fat w/onions. I was staying way from onions for awhile because they're a high FODMAP food, but they're also an excellent prebiotic source. I'm happy to report that I haven't any GI distress or bloating from the new veggies and plan to continue adding in more. Eventually that will include RS foods, as well.

  8. #548
    tatertot's Avatar
    tatertot is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    622
    Quote Originally Posted by dazygyrl View Post
    what's the best way to do this as real food?
    Pre-cook and chill potatoes, rice, and beans. Freeze them if possible, then thaw and reheat. Try to eat at least 1/2 pound of these foods (or a combo of) a day. Also, eat very frequently: slices of raw potato (if you can), very green bananas, thinly sliced and dried plantains, raw oats (maybe 1/2 cup a week), also there are lots of tubers and starches available that I don't have experience with like taro, cassava, chinese yam, and a few others. Eat these foods alongside fermented foods like kimchee, sauerkraut, kefire, kombucha, beet kvass, etc... Eating like this should easily get you 20-40g/day. A really green banana has around 15g, a dried plantain about 30g, a pound of potato/rice/beans cooked, cooled, reheated has about 15g.

    It's tough, but do-able. The biggest problem I have with real food only is that the RS ratings are very fickle and change depending on food prep. A slight variation in cooking temp can mean a big change in RS content. With potato starch it's an exact dose every time--about 8g per TBS. Even bananas change fast as they go from green (15g) to yellow (0g).

    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Paleo Girl View Post
    Continuing my RS update from above..

    After I dropped the RS foods from my diet and focused solely on slowly increasing the potato starch, things improved. I lost the weight and bloat that I had gained, and then some. I'm sleeping well and have great energy. The TMI aspect of things is phenomenal. It's hard to tell how much of that I can credit solely to the potato starch though. Just prior to beginning to supplement with it, I started taking GI Fortify (which has some psyllium powder in it) and Amazing Greens, which has some fiber in it as well. I've been able to back off of the magnesium citrate that I was taking for the sole purpose of keeping things moving.

    I take the potato starch with a soil based organism pre/probiotic (Prescript Assist). That's on an empty stomach in the morning, along w/the Amazing Greens and GI Fortify. And I take it just before going to bed at night, ideally a couple of hours after having eaten dinner, w/another Prescript Assist.

    So far, so good! I'm getting good vibrations from my body telling me that it likes what I'm doing. After having a pretty restrictive diet for awhile (I never knew what would cause bloat and discomfort), I've started adding in some more foods. My veggies were limited to green beans, zucchini and asparagus for awhile, but I recently had some roasted small potatoes and even some kale sauteed in bacon fat w/onions. I was staying way from onions for awhile because they're a high FODMAP food, but they're also an excellent prebiotic source. I'm happy to report that I haven't any GI distress or bloating from the new veggies and plan to continue adding in more. Eventually that will include RS foods, as well.
    Wow! Doing great. Glad to see you working it. As far as I'm concerned, it's just the right thing to do. Glad others are seeing it, too.
    Let those who have dyspepsia—and that means a multitude of ills which the American people in their luxurious habits are fast bringing upon themselves—try for a time the potato diet. We have tried it not for months, but a few days at a time—long enough to satisfy us of its good effects. Newspaper article from 1849


    Visit my blog: VEGETABLE PHARM

  9. #549
    dazygyrl's Avatar
    dazygyrl is offline Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    iowa
    Posts
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by tatertot View Post
    Pre-cook and chill potatoes, rice, and beans. Freeze them if possible, then thaw and reheat. Try to eat at least 1/2 pound of these foods (or a combo of) a day. Also, eat very frequently: slices of raw potato (if you can), very green bananas, thinly sliced and dried plantains, raw oats (maybe 1/2 cup a week), also there are lots of tubers and starches available that I don't have experience with like taro, cassava, chinese yam, and a few others. Eat these foods alongside fermented foods like kimchee, sauerkraut, kefire, kombucha, beet kvass, etc... Eating like this should easily get you 20-40g/day. A really green banana has around 15g, a dried plantain about 30g, a pound of potato/rice/beans cooked, cooled, reheated has about 15g.

    It's tough, but do-able. The biggest problem I have with real food only is that the RS ratings are very fickle and change depending on food prep. A slight variation in cooking temp can mean a big change in RS content. With potato starch it's an exact dose every time--about 8g per TBS. Even bananas change fast as they go from green (15g) to yellow (0g).
    thanks! the most doable and practical thing for me would be the rice and potatoes and then PS on top of that.

  10. #550
    WeldingHank's Avatar
    WeldingHank is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Lawrence,Ma
    Posts
    769
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    got rice and black beans in the fridge for lunch this week, gonna pick up some potato starch next week, RS trials in full effect!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •