Page 54 of 202 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664104154 ... LastLast

Thread: Resistant Starches page 54

Barnyard is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    So, I had the opposite effect as it relates to sleep......I took a TBSP of potato starch in a goats milk, kefir, full fat greek yogurt, protein powder, frozen peaches-smoothie around 3pm yesterday, then another TBSP in my evening desert of full fat greek yogurt, honey, and raspberries......also had about 200gms of baked potato, but not cooked and cooled so probably not significant amount of RS, along with 4oz. of grass-fed beef liver for dinner......and I don't think I fell into a deep sleep all night. Now, I have had this issue off and on now for a couple of years, so it could be just 'one of those nights', but I must admit I was disappointed after hearing some of the testimonials about sleep and dreaming.......but it was almost like a steady level of glucose all night kept me awake? Any thoughts? I am relatively stress-free, did some in-house calisthenics for exercise.....
    The life I have today is far better than I deserve.......

M, 56, 6'0
    SW - 192
    CW - 175
    GW - 165-170

Current addiction: ice cream (and sugar in general).....doing battle with it!

Annika is offline Senior Member
    I made some great ice cream last night: frozen banana, cocoa powder, full-fat plain yogurt, and potato starch. No added sweetener, and it tasted great! The banana was very ripe, though - I doubt it would taste very good with a greenish banana.
    My blog: Pretty Good Paleo
    On Twitter: @NEKLocalvore

Quote Originally Posted by Annika View Post
    I made some great ice cream last night: frozen banana, cocoa powder, full-fat plain yogurt, and potato starch. No added sweetener, and it tasted great! The banana was very ripe, though - I doubt it would taste very good with a greenish banana.
    Could you be more specific in how you made it Annika? I am an ice cream addict looking for suitable substitutes!!!

M, 56, 6'0
    SW - 192
    CW - 175
    GW - 165-170

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Barnyard View Post
    I am an ice cream addict looking for suitable substitutes!!!
    I'll butt in with my template:
    1) 13 oz. coconut milk, unsweetened evaporated milk, or half-and-half
    2) 4 egg yolks
    3) [thickener option] 1/4 oz. (1 envelope) plain gelatin powder and/or 2 tbsp potato/arrowroot/tapioca/plantain starch
    4) [antifreeze option] 2 tablespoons rum or vodka
    5) Seasonings and sweeteners to taste--fruit, vanilla, cocoa, mint, coffee, spices, maple
    6) Blend all ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat until thickener dissolves then cool to room temperature
    7) Run mixture through ice cream maker for ~30 minutes
    Add any delicate ingredients 1-2 minutes before the end, e.g. chocolate shavings, chopped nuts
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Quote Originally Posted by picklepete View Post
    I'll butt in with my template:
    1) 13 oz. coconut milk, unsweetened evaporated milk, or half-and-half
    2) 4 egg yolks
    3) [thickener option] 1/4 oz. (1 envelope) plain gelatin powder and/or 2 tbsp potato/arrowroot/tapioca/plantain starch
    4) [antifreeze option] 2 tablespoons rum or vodka
    5) Seasonings and sweeteners to taste--fruit, vanilla, cocoa, mint, coffee, spices, maple
    6) Blend all ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat until thickener dissolves then cool to room temperature
    7) Run mixture through ice cream maker for ~30 minutes
    Add any delicate ingredients 1-2 minutes before the end, e.g. chocolate shavings, chopped nuts
    Thanks Pete!

M, 56, 6'0
    SW - 192
    CW - 175
    GW - 165-170

Annika is offline Senior Member
    Mine is super-simple and easy. I've made it a few times and never bothered to measure anything, so my "recipe" is pretty loose and I am guessing on quantities.

1 frozen ripe banana, sliced
    1 Tbs cocoa powder (unsweetened)
    2 Tbs full-fat plain yogurt
    1 Tbs potato starch

Blend until smooth - I use a stick blender, which I consider one of my most indispensable kitchen gadgets. Eat!
    My blog: Pretty Good Paleo
    On Twitter: @NEKLocalvore

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Annika View Post
    Mine is super-simple and easy. I've made it a few times and never bothered to measure anything, so my "recipe" is pretty loose and I am guessing on quantities.

1 frozen ripe banana, sliced
    1 Tbs cocoa powder (unsweetened)
    2 Tbs full-fat plain yogurt
    1 Tbs potato starch

Blend until smooth - I use a stick blender, which I consider one of my most indispensable kitchen gadgets. Eat!
    Thanks Annika.....I need a stick blender and an ice cream maker so I can try Pickle's also

M, 56, 6'0
    SW - 192
    CW - 175
    GW - 165-170

tatertot is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldie View Post
    I found this recipe on how to make your own plantain flour:

Plantain Flour

REQUIREMENTS

- Unripe plantains

What you do
    Remove the skins from the plantains by cut off the top and bottom then make a slit along the side. prise the skin off. Slice the plantains into long strips.

Sun dry on cement slabs until all the moisture in the plantain is dried and the plantain is greyish white(This process could take week or so.

Ground the dried plantain into a fine powder and store for use.

- See more at: Plantain Flour (Elubo Ogede) | Nigeria Galleria

I can dry sliced green plantains in my dehydrator in 12 hours, and they're dry as a bone. I'm sure my Vitamix can grind that into flour!
    I have been making dried plantains for close to a year now. No way it should take a week! On a hot, sunny summer day it takes about a day and a half, inside near my hot woodstove in the winter with a fan blowing in them, it takes 12-18 hours. The best way I've found is to make a drying rack out of 1/4" stainless steel mesh (Home Depot!), make it big enough (mine is about 18" X 24") so it will hold 4-6 plantains. Prop this up so you get good airlfow all around and point a fan at it--no prob! I eat them like crackers, but yes they could easily be ground into flour. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    How about raw sweet potatoes, is there any indication of whether they are a good source of RS? I bought some sweet potato starch a while back. There's really no way to know how it was produced. But if it is used for cooking, it probably should be raw. It wouldn't be too hard to make some raw sweet potato flour by dehydrating sweet potatoes.

I have an old oven with a pilot light that keeps it barely warm and dry, more sanitary than leaving the plantain slices out on concrete in the tropical sun . By putting a heat source like a light bulb or a heating pad in a regular oven, a person could dehydrate food without a dehydrator.
    e-Kat - Sweet potatoes have almost zero RS, sorry! Too much sugar, diff kind of starch.

So, I had the opposite effect as it relates to sleep......I took a TBSP of potato starch in a goats milk, kefir, full fat greek yogurt, protein powder, frozen peaches-smoothie around 3pm yesterday, then another TBSP in my evening desert of full fat greek yogurt, honey, and raspberries......also had about 200gms of baked potato, but not cooked and cooled so probably not significant amount of RS, along with 4oz. of grass-fed beef liver for dinner......and I don't think I fell into a deep sleep all night. Now, I have had this issue off and on now for a couple of years, so it could be just 'one of those nights', but I must admit I was disappointed after hearing some of the testimonials about sleep and dreaming.......but it was almost like a steady level of glucose all night kept me awake? Any thoughts? I am relatively stress-free, did some in-house calisthenics for exercise.....
    Read this: all about sleep/RS/and honey!

Could you be more specific in how you made it Annika? I am an ice cream addict looking for suitable substitutes!!!
    I have one of the cheap-o (not really cheap, though) Cuisinart ice cream makers. We made ice cream almost every day last summer. Mix first in bowl: couple cups of milk or coconut milk, cocoa powder, vanilla, potato starch, sweetener if desired. Pour in the machine, run 20 minutes, eat up. Variations are endless. Guar gum makes it thicker, but it's fine w/o it.
    Let those who have dyspepsia—and that means a multitude of ills which the American people in their luxurious habits are fast bringing upon themselves—try for a time the potato diet. We have tried it not for months, but a few days at a time—long enough to satisfy us of its good effects. Newspaper article from 1849

Visit my blog: VEGETABLE PHARM

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Tatertot I'm a little surprised that you can get plantains where you are. I've only seen them a couple of times where I live. Maybe nobody bought them but me.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    i am noticing that this plantain flour has a bite to it - almost spicy. is that normal?
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html