Page 53 of 207 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103153 ... LastLast

Thread: Resistant Starches page 53

dazygyrl is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    has anyone seen/used the gluten free mix from betty crocker? ingredients are: rice flour, potato starch, tapioca starch, guar gum, salt. seems perfect for a high RS diet, no?

Annika is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    2 cups banana flour
    1 tsp salt
    1 cup (2 sticks) softened butter (!)
    1 tsp vanilla
    2 eggs
    Sweetener of choice to taste...I use molasses

Mix all together, whip eggs and add last. Also add nuts, coconut, whatever.

The 2 cups (32TBS) of plantain flour have approximately 160g RS (5g per TBS). If you divide the mixture into 32 equal size balls, you know the amount of RS you are eating.

Don't eat it all at once!
    THIS. This is what convinced me to give resistant starch a try. <drool>
    My blog: Pretty Good Paleo
    On Twitter: @NEKLocalvore

Barnyard is offline Senior Member
    ok 2 questions, probably been answered already, but can't find right now.....how many grams of RS are in a TBSP of Red Mill potato starch? Is it gram per gram? And, what about potato skins? I love potato skins, what is the up and downside of them?
    The life I have today is far better than I deserve.......

M, 56, 6'0
    SW - 192
    CW - 175
    GW - 165-170

Current addiction: ice cream (and sugar in general).....doing battle with it!

Chupo is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dazygyrl View Post
    has anyone seen/used the gluten free mix from betty crocker? ingredients are: rice flour, potato starch, tapioca starch, guar gum, salt. seems perfect for a high RS diet, no?
    Do they have a mix containing only those ingredients? Their gluten-free Bisquick is the closest I can find but it also contains sugar and aluminum.

Edit: Ah, now I've found it. The rice flour mix! It would contain RS for sure but not as much as raw potato starch if it's heated during processing. Do you make things out of it or just use it as a supplement?
    Last edited by Chupo; 12-06-2013 at 04:38 PM.

tatertot is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dazygyrl View Post
    No. You'd have to eat it all raw....yuck Once you cook it, it's pretty much a waste for RS.

Quote Originally Posted by Annika View Post
    THIS. This is what convinced me to give resistant starch a try. <drool>
    I need to make some more of that. I used to make it and freeze it in balls and eat them frozen--hard to keep around for long, though--too good.

Quote Originally Posted by Barnyard View Post
    ok 2 questions, probably been answered already, but can't find right now.....how many grams of RS are in a TBSP of Red Mill potato starch? Is it gram per gram? And, what about potato skins? I love potato skins, what is the up and downside of them?
    1TBS of potato starch = 8g RS
    Let those who have dyspepsia—and that means a multitude of ills which the American people in their luxurious habits are fast bringing upon themselves—try for a time the potato diet. We have tried it not for months, but a few days at a time—long enough to satisfy us of its good effects. Newspaper article from 1849

Visit my blog: VEGETABLE PHARM

Good news: I found plantain flour on Amazon.
    Bad news: it costs $65.50 for a one pound bag. Those chocolate chip cookie dough balls better be good!

LOL - you can get the same brand of plantain flour directly from Barry Farm for $2.99 a pound. Although they get you on the shipping. Amazon pricing can be a bit wacky sometimes!

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    I found this recipe on how to make your own plantain flour:

Plantain Flour

REQUIREMENTS

- Unripe plantains

What you do
    Remove the skins from the plantains by cut off the top and bottom then make a slit along the side. prise the skin off. Slice the plantains into long strips.

Sun dry on cement slabs until all the moisture in the plantain is dried and the plantain is greyish white(This process could take week or so.

Ground the dried plantain into a fine powder and store for use.

- See more at: Plantain Flour (Elubo Ogede) | Nigeria Galleria

I can dry sliced green plantains in my dehydrator in 12 hours, and they're dry as a bone. I'm sure my Vitamix can grind that into flour!

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Annika View Post
    Good news: I found plantain flour on Amazon.
    Bad news: it costs $65.50 for a one pound bag. Those chocolate chip cookie dough balls better be good!

LOL - you can get the same brand of plantain flour directly from Barry Farm for $2.99 a pound. Although they get you on the shipping. Amazon pricing can be a bit wacky sometimes!
    Jeeze - that's crazy. I just bought that same bag of plantain flour from amazon last week for $6. I guess I should have stocked up!!
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

@ jammies: I thought I saw it on Amazon last week for some reasonable price! I guess I'll just keep checking.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    How about raw sweet potatoes, is there any indication of whether they are a good source of RS? I bought some sweet potato starch a while back. There's really no way to know how it was produced. But if it is used for cooking, it probably should be raw. It wouldn't be too hard to make some raw sweet potato flour by dehydrating sweet potatoes.

I have an old oven with a pilot light that keeps it barely warm and dry, more sanitary than leaving the plantain slices out on concrete in the tropical sun . By putting a heat source like a light bulb or a heating pad in a regular oven, a person could dehydrate food without a dehydrator.