Page 52 of 194 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102152 ... LastLast

Thread: Resistant Starches page 52

Ryancarter1986 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Tatertot,
    So 120g-150g of raw potatoes then cooked and cooled re heated has 5g RS.
    So my 700g portion is more than enough of RS at the moment just starting out?

From London England UK

eats.meats.west is offline Senior Member
    I read this thread about 3 weeks ago and LOL and said no way will I buy into this. Long story short- started PS about 10 days ago and my body says thanks - it really has helped in my daily bathroom ventures. No further descriptions will follow.

Rosemary 231 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    Think about adding a source of resistant starch to you diet...cooked and cooled potatoes and rice are specifically mentioned anywhere you see the term 'resistant starch'.
    If I cook and cool the potatoes and rice will it be ok to re-heat them for the same RS benefit?

tatertot is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. I could probably borrow a blood sugar monitor from the lab and check a couple times to see.

Tonight I tried plantain flour instead - so maybe that will be better. But the sorghum flour was more yummy!!

The only think my body hates as much as potatoes is corn - I can't do either of those!! Ahhh...the joys of autoimmune disease
    My advice to folks with 'issues' is to use plantains, plantain flour, and green bananas. That's about as ancestral as you can get...from wikipedia:

All members of the genus Musa are indigenous to the tropical regions of Southeast Asia and Oceania, including the Malay Archipelago (modern Indonesia, Malaysia, Brunei and the Philippines) and Northern Australia.[7] Africa is considered a secondary centre of diversity of Musa cultivars: West Africa for plantains and the central highlands for East African Highland bananas (Musa AAA-EAHB, also known as Matooke or Matoke in Uganda), most of which are cooked although some are primarily used to produce beer.

Plantains are a major food staple in East Africa, West and Central Africa (Cameroon), Central America, the Caribbean Islands and northern, coastal parts of South America (Colombia, Venezuela, etc.). Their attractiveness as food is that they fruit all year round, making them a reliable all-season staple food.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryancarter1986 View Post
    Tatertot,
    So 120g-150g of raw potatoes then cooked and cooled re heated has 5g RS.
    So my 700g portion is more than enough of RS at the moment just starting out?

From London England UK
    If you are eating 700g (approx 1 pound) of potatoes a day, and assuming they have all been cooked, cooled at least over night, then minimally reheated, you should be getting close to 30g RS per day. To make the deal sweeter, when you cut up raw potatoes, eat a slice or two raw. I would say this is a sound plan. Buy really green bananas, incorporate beans and rice on occasion fixed as you do potatoes, too. No problem!

Quote Originally Posted by eats.meats.west View Post
    I read this thread about 3 weeks ago and LOL and said no way will I buy into this. Long story short- started PS about 10 days ago and my body says thanks - it really has helped in my daily bathroom ventures. No further descriptions will follow.
    I love TMI--feel free to speak out! I saw a lady wearing a t-shirt that said in big, bold letters: 'I Made Poopy Today!' I thought she must have found this thread...
    Let those who have dyspepsia—and that means a multitude of ills which the American people in their luxurious habits are fast bringing upon themselves—try for a time the potato diet. We have tried it not for months, but a few days at a time—long enough to satisfy us of its good effects. Newspaper article from 1849

Visit my blog: VEGETABLE PHARM

Annika is offline Senior Member
    Hi Tatertot! First of all, I want to say thanks for all your research, experimentation, and education on resistant starch. I have heard whisperings about it in the paleosphere for several months, but only started looking into it this week. Wow - rabbit hole indeed! There is a LOT to read.

My question is about Bob's Red Mill potato starch. I found a Bob's blog post in which a Bob's staffer, in response to a questioner named Tim (you??? I'm guessing yes) clearly states that the potatoes are boiled in the process of making their potato starch. The staffer seems a bit out of her depth, however, and eventually refers Tim to customer service, who assures Tim that their potato starch is in fact an excellent source of RS - but Tim doesn't explain why or how that is, if the potatoes are in fact boiled. Can you shed any light on this? Is Bob's potato starch really raw, or were the potatoes boiled?

Fortuitously, I already had some Bob's PS in my pantry, so I have dived right in. Adding 2 teaspoons PS to a smoothie was undetectable, and the water kefir + yogurt + starch blend will hopefully pack a probiotic/prebiotic punch!

Also: what really got me on board was your recipe for chocolate chip cookie dough made with plantain flour. Any diet that promotes eating cookie dough is A-OK with me! Would potato starch work in this recipe?

THANKS!
    My blog: Pretty Good Paleo
    On Twitter: @NEKLocalvore

Quote Originally Posted by Annika View Post
    Hi Tatertot! First of all, I want to say thanks for all your research, experimentation, and education on resistant starch. I have heard whisperings about it in the paleosphere for several months, but only started looking into it this week. Wow - rabbit hole indeed! There is a LOT to read.

My question is about Bob's Red Mill potato starch. I found a Bob's blog post in which a Bob's staffer, in response to a questioner named Tim (you??? I'm guessing yes) clearly states that the potatoes are boiled in the process of making their potato starch. The staffer seems a bit out of her depth, however, and eventually refers Tim to customer service, who assures Tim that their potato starch is in fact an excellent source of RS - but Tim doesn't explain why or how that is, if the potatoes are in fact boiled. Can you shed any light on this? Is Bob's potato starch really raw, or were the potatoes boiled?

Fortuitously, I already had some Bob's PS in my pantry, so I have dived right in. Adding 2 teaspoons PS to a smoothie was undetectable, and the water kefir + yogurt + starch blend will hopefully pack a probiotic/prebiotic punch!

Also: what really got me on board was your recipe for chocolate chip cookie dough made with plantain flour. Any diet that promotes eating cookie dough is A-OK with me! Would potato starch work in this recipe?

THANKS!
    I got a nice letter from Bob's people explaining the process.

The potatoes are first blasted with steam/boiling water to clean and remove the peels, but not cooked. Then they go into cold water and are ground-up in the water. The water is filtered using smaller and smaller sieves to first remove contaminates and stuff that isn't starch and finally all that is left is starch, which is then dried and packaged. No chemicals, no cooking.

Potato starch works better in no-bake cookies...I think the recipe is a few pages back. Real easy and even better than the cookie dough!
    Let those who have dyspepsia—and that means a multitude of ills which the American people in their luxurious habits are fast bringing upon themselves—try for a time the potato diet. We have tried it not for months, but a few days at a time—long enough to satisfy us of its good effects. Newspaper article from 1849

RS no-bakes:

In sauce pan add:
    1/4 cup of butter
    1/4 cup of cocoa powder
    1/2 cup of milk (or coconut/almond milk)
    1 cup of sugar (I use coconut sugar)

Bring these to a boil for about 30 seconds while stirring, remove from heat.

Stir in:
    1/2 cup peanut butter (I use almond butter)
    1 cup raw oats
    1 cup coconut flakes
    Splash of vanilla

Stir until cooled to under 120 degrees (won't take long).

Sprinkle in 1/2 packet of unflavored gelatin (1tsp?) and 1 cup of potato starch.

Stir well. If it is still really gooey at this point, add more oats, coconut or potato starch until it is a firm dough-like consistency.

Spoon the mix onto wax paper lined cookie sheets and chill. After a few hours, you can transfer them to a suitable container. I like to keep them in the fridge or freezer.

If you make these into 32 individual cookies, each cookie will have about 6g of resistant starch. No idea what calorie count is, but it wouldn't take much to figure out.

Also, the options are endless to modify this recipe: raisins, stevia instead of sugar, coconut oil instead of butter, sesame paste instead of peanut butter. More oats, more coconut, no oats, no coconut, no peanut butter. Make them however you like!

Annika is offline Senior Member
    Hmm. I think I prefer the old classic, chocolate chip cookie dough. I just might have to invest in some plantain flour...
    My blog: Pretty Good Paleo
    On Twitter: @NEKLocalvore

Barnyard is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OneDeltaTenTango View Post
    Dang, tatertot, you figured out my username. Now I have to change it. MikeOscarRomeoOscarNovember is too cumbersome. Ideas?
    ROFL.....IDIOT MORON......priceless!
    The life I have today is far better than I deserve.......

M, 56, 6'0
    SW - 192
    CW - 175
    GW - 165-170

Current addiction: ice cream (and sugar in general).....doing battle with it!

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    When I was in the Army, we used to send new mechanics down to the shop to get an I-D-ten-T kit. Or an S-T-one kit. Sending them for an S-T-one kit was my fav, the shop had a couple of big, heavy ones ready to issue...

USAF Sweetie would get new folks to go out and get a yard of flight line, and maybe a bucket of prop wash, too. And, Oh! Look at that B-one-R-D !! (pointing to sky)