Page 51 of 154 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151 ... LastLast

Thread: Resistant Starches page 51

FrenchFry is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by sakura_girl View Post
    Rofl. My room has developed a permanent potato gas smell too

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
    Haha, I remember the first times I took some potato starch ... my wife was getting really pissed ...
    Anyway, I wanted to mention an observation: when I got used to taking raw PS (in water mostly), I had no gas issues, or whatever bowel distress. But as soon as I ate some other kind of resistant starch or fibers, like wheat dextrin, inulin, etc, things got out of balance. As soon as things calm down and I get back to raw PS, I have no problem.

From all I can read, I interpret the "bowel crises" as bacterial wars. Eating starchy food and adding raw PS in water must favor some kind of bacteria, while eating too much of other fibers must favor types that declare war to the former types ... I will stick to PS and my normal starchy diet, the other sources of RS or fibers are not worth the trouble ...

Happy Paleo Girl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FrenchFry View Post
    Anyway, I wanted to mention an observation: when I got used to taking raw PS (in water mostly), I had no gas issues, or whatever bowel distress. But as soon as I ate some other kind of resistant starch or fibers, like wheat dextrin, inulin, etc, things got out of balance. As soon as things calm down and I get back to raw PS, I have no problem.

From all I can read, I interpret the "bowel crises" as bacterial wars. Eating starchy food and adding raw PS in water must favor some kind of bacteria, while eating too much of other fibers must favor types that declare war to the former types ... I will stick to PS and my normal starchy diet, the other sources of RS or fibers are not worth the trouble ...
    Ah ha, I wonder if this is what's going on with me. I was having 1 tsp. of raw PS morning and night with no issues. After reading TT's guest post on Free the Animal, I went a bit overboard and made unripe dehydrated plantain chips and last night I had garlic fried rice (which I had cooked the night before, frozen overnight and had been in the fridge since the morning). I've gained 3.5 pounds in the last 2 days, am more bloated than usual, and the gas is out of control (thankfully there's no smell though!). I increased the PS a little bit, but not enough to be having these kinds of reactions. So today I'm back to my normal diet, w/out any RS foods, just potato starch. Hopefully the weight and bloat will come back off quickly and the gas won't last too much longer.

Happy Paleo Girl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post

I am not currently consuming any form of probiotic because it seems to cause vaginal infections.
    Nameless, I suffered from recurring vaginal infections for years, before finally realizing that I had a candida overgrowth (thanks to lots of antibiotics when I was younger along with lots of mercury fillings). I started taking saccharomyces boulardii last year and haven't suffered with an infection since. It's a type of beneficial yeast that somehow crowds out the candida. According to the bottle, it helps promote and support a healthy intestinal microflora. So it's a win-win with resistant starch, as well.

Here's the brand I take:
    Amazon.com: Jarrow Formulas Sacharomyces Boulardii & MOS, 90 Capsules: Health & Personal Care
    I take 3 in the morning. I took it for months, and then stopped for awhile, didn't suffer any recurrences until just recently, so am taking them again. I wish I had known about this product 20 years ago, it would've saved me a LOT of grief!

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    I'm still undecided but I recently acquired a nice mandolin and potato starch for other recipes. I tried plantain chips dipped in PS-fortified ricotta and had some pretty amazing sleep and dreams. Strange to think of such humble substances being psychoactive.
    34//6'3"/180

Lots of: urban hiking, cycling, sprinting
    Lots of: fresh meat, seafood, eggs, organs, tubers, starch fruits, vegetables, meat fat, dairy fat, oil fruits
    Some: cured meat, dairy protein, sweet fruits, rice, pulses, tree nuts, oil seeds
    Minimal: soy, refined proteins, sugar, liquid carbohydrate, grains, refined oils, peanuts

Ryancarter1986 is offline Senior Member
    Is there a need to add PS if ur already getting 120-150g of RS3 carbs such as potatoes and yams ?
    Also what would the RS value of these be? And what's the value of Tbsp of PS
    Thanks

From London England UK

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    I was thinking of recommending taking PS to Hubby (he's a teacher) but if it causes gas, maybe not.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Paleo Girl View Post
    Nameless, I suffered from recurring vaginal infections for years, before finally realizing that I had a candida overgrowth (thanks to lots of antibiotics when I was younger along with lots of mercury fillings). I started taking saccharomyces boulardii last year and haven't suffered with an infection since. It's a type of beneficial yeast that somehow crowds out the candida. According to the bottle, it helps promote and support a healthy intestinal microflora. So it's a win-win with resistant starch, as well.

Here's the brand I take:
    Amazon.com: Jarrow Formulas Sacharomyces Boulardii & MOS, 90 Capsules: Health & Personal Care
    I take 3 in the morning. I took it for months, and then stopped for awhile, didn't suffer any recurrences until just recently, so am taking them again. I wish I had known about this product 20 years ago, it would've saved me a LOT of grief!
    Thanks for the tip. I've tried so many different diets and supplements and nothing works for long. I'll give it a shot! It's at least cheaper than a lot of other things I've tried!
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

jammies is offline Senior Member
    My first night with sorghum as an RS source didn't go as expected. No gas or GI issues at all, but my sleep was horrid. I was still awake at 4:30 in the morning.

I am going to assume it was a fluke and try again. The sorghum flour I used was "sweet white" - ingredients were just sorghum flour. I mixed it with a little butter and honey, chilled it, and ate it straight.

Any ideas?
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

tatertot is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FrenchFry View Post
    Haha, I remember the first times I took some potato starch ... my wife was getting really pissed ...

My wife just recently started PS after watching me do it for almost a year now--tonight she was like, 'does this stuff make you go to the bathroom a lot?' I asked what a lot is--she says 'EVERY DAY'. So, yes, i guess if you only poop three times a week and are now going every day--that's a lot. People get used to messed up guts and take stuff for granted like daily BMs.

But for me, it's PS and dried plantains in addition to what I get from daily rice, beans, potatoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Paleo Girl View Post
    Ah ha, I wonder if this is what's going on with me. I was having 1 tsp. of raw PS morning and night with no issues. After reading TT's guest post on Free the Animal, I went a bit overboard and made unripe dehydrated plantain chips and last night I had garlic fried rice (which I had cooked the night before, frozen overnight and had been in the fridge since the morning). I've gained 3.5 pounds in the last 2 days, am more bloated than usual, and the gas is out of control (thankfully there's no smell though!). I increased the PS a little bit, but not enough to be having these kinds of reactions. So today I'm back to my normal diet, w/out any RS foods, just potato starch. Hopefully the weight and bloat will come back off quickly and the gas won't last too much longer.
    I think you will be fine. Just eat your normal diet, add in a few spoons of PS a day, and roll with it. It's not life and death or rocket science. Most people go their whole life without much RS to speak of. Adding it in is just the right thing to do. Don't have to do it all at once.

Quote Originally Posted by picklepete View Post
    I'm still undecided but I recently acquired a nice mandolin and potato starch for other recipes. I tried plantain chips dipped in PS-fortified ricotta and had some pretty amazing sleep and dreams. Strange to think of such humble substances being psychoactive.
    Brain-Gut connection is real and pretty amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by Ryancarter1986 View Post
    Is there a need to add PS if ur already getting 120-150g of RS3 carbs such as potatoes and yams ?
    Also what would the RS value of these be? And what's the value of Tbsp of PS
    Thanks

From London England UK
    120-150g of potatoes probably has about 5g RS. A TBS of potato starch has about 8g. TRDA (tatertot recommended daily allowance) is 20-40g of RS from all sources. It's well backed in the studies and that amount is needed to provide enough butyrate for colon health. I think if most people who are eating starchy carbs eat 1-4TBS of PS a day, most days, they are good to go. No need to get anal about it, make it easy. i usually have some type of creamy dessert every night--jello, yogurt, smooshed banana, coconut milk and berries--I add a big scoop of PS to this and stir in...easy done. If i miss a night or two it's no worry.

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    I was thinking of recommending taking PS to Hubby (he's a teacher) but if it causes gas, maybe not.
    Have him try. Take it after lunch, gas usually takes about 4 hours to manifest. Start slow and let perceived discomfort be your guide to adding more.

Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Thanks for the tip. I've tried so many different diets and supplements and nothing works for long. I'll give it a shot! It's at least cheaper than a lot of other things I've tried!
    I think you need prebiotics bad! I think people think potato starch and dried plantains are too easy to be true...the simplicity is the beauty. Just google 'resistant starch and bifidobacteria'. You want as much bifido as you can get--most people have very little. Then google 'bifidobacteria and health', you'll see what i mean. The modern method to increase bifido is to eat it in pill or food, this is a waste of time without RS. Just eat RS and it will grow naturally. Eat it alongside yogurt and speed things up.

Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    My first night with sorghum as an RS source didn't go as expected. No gas or GI issues at all, but my sleep was horrid. I was still awake at 4:30 in the morning.

I am going to assume it was a fluke and try again. The sorghum flour I used was "sweet white" - ingredients were just sorghum flour. I mixed it with a little butter and honey, chilled it, and ate it straight.

Any ideas?
    i'm watching you here. i've never tried sorghum flour. It should be good source of RS. Do you have a BG monitor? I'm curious what it does to BG. If it spikes it quite a bit, probably not a great source of RS. 6TBS of potato starch has no effect on BG. 4TBS of tapioca starch spiked my BG to 160. I'm not a fan of tapioca, but the studies say it should be high RS--I don't believe it.

If you are totally against PS, there's always Hi-Maize corn starch. it's used widely in the studies, and easy to find on Amazon--look at King Arthur Flour store.
    Let those who have dyspepsia—and that means a multitude of ills which the American people in their luxurious habits are fast bringing upon themselves—try for a time the potato diet. We have tried it not for months, but a few days at a time—long enough to satisfy us of its good effects. Newspaper article from 1849

jammies is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by tatertot View Post

i'm watching you here. i've never tried sorghum flour. It should be good source of RS. Do you have a BG monitor? I'm curious what it does to BG. If it spikes it quite a bit, probably not a great source of RS. 6TBS of potato starch has no effect on BG. 4TBS of tapioca starch spiked my BG to 160. I'm not a fan of tapioca, but the studies say it should be high RS--I don't believe it.

If you are totally against PS, there's always Hi-Maize corn starch. it's used widely in the studies, and easy to find on Amazon--look at King Arthur Flour store.
    Thanks for the feedback. I could probably borrow a blood sugar monitor from the lab and check a couple times to see.

Tonight I tried plantain flour instead - so maybe that will be better. But the sorghum flour was more yummy!!

The only think my body hates as much as potatoes is corn - I can't do either of those!! Ahhh...the joys of autoimmune disease
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html