Page 49 of 202 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999149 ... LastLast

Thread: Resistant Starches page 49

Goldie is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    What temperature does your dehydrator reach? Mine goes up over 145°F.
    Mine I can set the range, from 95F to 160F. I dried my plantains at 115.

Paleophil is offline Senior Member
    I dry my plantains on a rack in the fridge or on the kitchen counter, using no added heat.
    Quote Originally Posted by tatertot View Post
    Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong.
    Notes I may point to:
    1) WARNING: beware of chronic very low carb diets, especially ones low in resistant starch and other Paleo/Primal prebiotics
    2) I try to do what works best for me, and often fail. YMMV. Don't imitate me--find what works for you. The only fact I know for certain is that of my ignorance. I’m not prescribing.
    3) It may aid discussion if neither of us tries to speak for the other

Happy Paleo Girl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldie View Post
    I dried some green plantains in my dehydrator, and they are VERY dry. Like a saltine. I put cinnamon on them, but I think I'd like them better with salt, or seasoned salt. They're pretty good with cinnamon, but I think I'd like them better savory rather than "sweet" (although not very sweet with just cinnamon!)
    Before I put my plantain chips in the dehydrator, I sprinkled them with lime juice and sea salt. They came out great! It's nice to have something crunchy to snack on.

I am jumping on the RS bandwagon. I've been dealing w/ digestive issues for 2 1/2 years that all started with a round of antibiotics (the one that broke the camel's back!). I was diagnosed w/ SIBO (after a year and a half of testing and treating other things w/ no success), but it didn't respond to any of the standard approaches (herbal antibiotics, the specific antibiotics for SIBO, a restrictive diet, an elemental diet, etc.). I finally came to the conclusion that my issues stem more from dysbiosis than anything else. I know I have low levels of good bacteria and butyrate from a Metametrix GI FX stool test done last year. And that was after a good 6 months of rotating the best probiotics I could find.
    LONG story short, I ended up doing a round of FMT (yup, that's fecal transplants) about 6 weeks ago. I've seen some really good improvements during that time, but I think I sabotaged myself early on. I took high dose iodine (100 mgs) during the 3rd week to boost my flagging energy levels. All of the research said that iodine only kills the bad stuff and leaves good bacteria alone. But I saw a marked change in progress after that. I think I hit those new bacteria that were trying to get hold with a heavy hammer. I'm doing another round in a week and my gut told me "focus on feeding the good guys".
    Someone on the FMT FaceBook group posted the link to Tatertot's guest post on Free the Animal. I have been reading everything I can find about resistant starch since. It's not the first I've heard of it, I did the potato diet for awhile earlier this year (not with good results, unfortunately), and I even was taking some potato starch initially after the first round of FMTs. I just wasn't sure it was the right thing to do with the SIBO diagnosis, so I didn't keep up with it. But I've started again, slowly. 1 tsp. morning and night, with no ill effects. But I think I'm going to try ramping up a little more quickly. I want to be able to take the recommended 4 Tbsp. after the next round of FMT.
    I read the post and all of the comments and came across Tatertot's comment on SIBO (I'll post it below, for anyone who is curious), which put my mind at ease. Richard also recommended taking potato starch on an empty stomach to avoid all of the gas, so I'm going to try a Tbsp. on an empty stomach when I get home from work tonight.
    I jumped in here at page 47, because that's where TT linked to in the blog post, but I'll be going back to page 1 and reading the whole of it. I've had really good sleep and more vibrant dreams the last 2 nights, and that's with only 1 tsp. of PS in the evening.
    I've got good vibes about this.. !

tatertot
    // Nov 29, 2013 at 17:51
    @Jan – I think RS is a non-issue in SIBO, except that it probably helps cure it. I’d like to make these points:
    1. RS has the proven ability to ‘mop up’ stray bacteria–good and bad.
    2. It takes upwards of 4 hours for RS eating bacteria to begin digesting (fermenting) RS. Food does not stay in the small intestine that long.
    3. The digestion (fermentation) of RS is a 2 or 3 step process involving several different bacteria, the chance that all of these different co-feeders are present in the small intestine is improbable.
    4. SIBO is a problem of total gut dysfunction more so than simply a bit of bacteria growing out of place. By the time SIBO can occur, lots of damage has been done. Step 1 needs to be overall healing, not removing the one thing (RS) that offers a complete recovery.
    When I started supplementing potato starch 10 months ago, I no doubt had SIBO, though undiagnosed. I had bouts of heartburn and indigestion I self-treated with low-carb and Tums. The potato starch caused me absolutely no discomfort and I now eat lots of carbs with no problems. I have not had any indigestion or heartburn pretty much since day 1 of supplementing potato starch.

tatertot is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Paleo Girl View Post
    I am jumping on the RS bandwagon.
    Hope it all works out!
    Let those who have dyspepsia—and that means a multitude of ills which the American people in their luxurious habits are fast bringing upon themselves—try for a time the potato diet. We have tried it not for months, but a few days at a time—long enough to satisfy us of its good effects. Newspaper article from 1849

Visit my blog: VEGETABLE PHARM

Reporting back after my experiment last night of 1 Tbsp. of potato starch on an empty stomach (I took my soil based organism pre/probiotic at the same time). At first, all seemed to go well. No bloating, burping, farting, etc. About 45 minutes later, I ate dinner. I had a better appetite than I've had for several weeks and thoroughly enjoyed my meal (wild caught Alaskan salmon sauteed in coconut oil, asparagus sauteed in ghee, and cooked, cooled and reheated sweet potatoes with butter, if anyone was interested - it was delicious).

My stomach felt quite content all evening. For the last few days, I have been falling asleep early, somewhere between 9:30 and 10:30, and sleeping for 9-10 hours. It's been great. I also take klonopin for sleep, but have been falling asleep even before it has time to kick in. Last night, I didn't get tired. I took my normal dose of klonopin at 9, w/the hopes of falling asleep around 10. At 10:30, I was still wide awake, so I took another (half my normal dose) and ended up falling asleep around 11. I slept fitfully for the first few hours. Somewhere around 2:30, the flatulence kicked in. That's more than SEVEN hours after taking the PS! I slept very well for the second half of the night. I woke up shortly after 6 and just laid in bed awake until about 6:30, at which point I figured I'd just get up. So 7 1/2 hours of not great sleep, though I still feel pretty good today, energy wise. Not as good as after 9-10 hours though!

Bloating is my main symptom, so I actually measure my stomach with a sewing tape measure to see how I'm progressing (or regressing). This morning it was up 1/2 an inch from what it usually is, and I am up just over 2 lbs. I know it's water retention. Since the FMTs, I have been taking low dose naltrexone. One very noticeable effect it has is that, about an hour after taking it, I have to pee a lot. So it helps to strip off some of the bloat that has accumulated during the day. That didn't happen last night, and the only thing that changed was the Tbsp. of potato starch.

My body is letting me know loud and clear that I have to start slowly with resistant starch. And that's fine with me. Today I bumped it up just a little bit - from 1 tsp. morning and night to 1 1/2 tsp.

I cooked up some jasmine rice last night and then put it in the freezer overnight. Now it's in the fridge, ready to be made into garlic fried rice tonight.

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    I haven't read the whole thread so this may have already been mentioned, does reheated rice have the same benefits?
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Is anyone eating frozen peas? I just read that 1 cup has 4.4 grams that is much higher than potatoes and rice. A cold rice and pea salad sounds kind of good, flavored with some mint, green onions and some sort of protein.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    I want to start with resistant starches, but no idea what to do. Where's a good place to start reading? My background is coming from a year + of chronic constipation (with mild constipation my whole life). I started supplementing calcium-magnesium butyrate a couple of weeks ago and while it makes my stool smell foul and gives me some gas, I am pretty regular while taking it.

I am not currently consuming any form of probiotic because it seems to cause vaginal infections.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Chupo is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    I haven't read the whole thread so this may have already been mentioned, does reheated rice have the same benefits?
    You can reheat it without losing much, if any, of the RS3.

Perhaps Tatertot can edit the original post to include this tidbit and maybe other FAQs.