Page 41 of 194 FirstFirst ... 3139404142435191141 ... LastLast

Thread: Resistant Starches page 41

Muppet is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Ok Tatertot you seem to know a lot about gut health. I am always working on mine and find it improving slowly but surely. I was wondering what else you do/recommend to keep our gut biosphere healthy? So far for me I am doing 4 tablespoons potato starch, kombucha, prescript assist probiotic (it's soil based), fermented cod liver oil, vit C, and magnesium. So what am I missing? I find this all fun and intriguing, considering I am the daughter of two MDs who has had over 20 rounds of antibiotics
    Home birthing legal mama. Unschooler. Jewish Intactivist (step away from the foreskin!). Full-term breastfeeder. Kettlebell padawan.

RittenRemedy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryancarter1986 View Post
    Lol I saw that on his show.
    That series was crap, he's so embarrassing such a lame chef on tv.

I tried it without the cabbage , was nice
    , the skins on a baked potato are so nice , reminds me of baked potato skins filled with cheese & bacon @ TGI Fridays . I suppose u could throw a raw egg with the cabbage mix & will bake inside too.

From London England UK
    I know, he's such a crap actor and he's got that awkward pause almost like a half assed Christopher Walken. And his family is so quiet and awkward it actually makes it sort of terridorable.

I bet he gets so much shit for trying to clean up his image by putting kids around him.

Eggs made me think I need to add chorizo to this shit. And get an oven...

RittenRemedy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tatertot View Post
    If you really want to RSify it, make it like it says but chill or freeze the potato over night, then when you get ready to eat it, let it cool down til it's just luke warm (110-120 degress or so) and add in a couple spoonfuls of potato starch.

I'm on the fence about tapioca starch. In theory it should contain almost as much RS as potato starch, but in reality I don't think it does. Tapioca starch has to be processed differently than potato starch because raw cassava contains cyanide, I am afraid the processing removes the RS.
    Awesome thanks for the advice.

Guess I'll be ordering potato starch then after all.

Two more quick questions. Does adding RS to things like mashed potatoes make them gummy? And does potato starch work well as a thickener without heating it too much?

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    I'm having what one might consider normal amounts of gas for the introduction of a "new" food. I'm also constipated. Should the slower passage of this fiber speed up the colonization process? One would assume yes, but - I'm no scientist. As such, this constipation might actually lead to sooner digestive efficiency and less gas, right? And yes, now I'm boiling and refrigerating the potatoes for several hours before eating them...

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

tatertot is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dancermom09 View Post
    I hope this isn't a dumb question, but I just noticed on RS food list that "roasted and cooled" potatoes have many, many times the RS as baked potatoes. What's the difference between roasting and baking when it comes to potatoes?
    Roasting is done at higher heat and generally the potatoes would be cut up, giving more surface area. Baking potatoes is usually done whole, which basically steams the potato. The less water involved in the cooking, the more RS there will be. It's strange, I know. I wondered about that, too, when I saw it.

Quote Originally Posted by Muppet View Post
    Ok Tatertot you seem to know a lot about gut health. I am always working on mine and find it improving slowly but surely. I was wondering what else you do/recommend to keep our gut biosphere healthy? So far for me I am doing 4 tablespoons potato starch, kombucha, prescript assist probiotic (it's soil based), fermented cod liver oil, vit C, and magnesium. So what am I missing? I find this all fun and intriguing, considering I am the daughter of two MDs who has had over 20 rounds of antibiotics
    I love what you are doing, I do almost the exact same things. Maybe you already do these, too, but avoid vegetable oil and wheat at all costs. Lots of walking--30-60 minutes a day. Lots of anti-oxidant, polyphenol rich foods like berries, dark chocolate, colorful veggies--especially purple ones. Good herbs like ginseng, turmeric, basil, and that kind of stuff. Also, try mixing 1/2 - 1 TBS of psyllium husk with the potato starch. It contains mucilage which is good for the gut and also allows the potato starch to travel further along in the large intestine.

If you really want to kick gut health up a notch, start at the mouth. I 'oil pull' every day for 20 minutes with sesame oil. It is an ancient oral health procedure (aryuvedic) that removes pathogenic microbes from the mouth and possibly chelates mercury from old fillings...if you have bad teeth or dental problems at all, I'd highly recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by RittenRemedy View Post
    Two more quick questions. Does adding RS to things like mashed potatoes make them gummy? And does potato starch work well as a thickener without heating it too much?
    Not gummy, some call it grainy. Won't thicken at all until heated. I like it mixed with yogurt. I'll also mix it with sour cream and put it on a baked potato after potato has cooled quite a bit. You'll know when you get it too hot, it gets gummy really fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    I'm having what one might consider normal amounts of gas for the introduction of a "new" food. I'm also constipated. Should the slower passage of this fiber speed up the colonization process? One would assume yes, but - I'm no scientist. As such, this constipation might actually lead to sooner digestive efficiency and less gas, right? And yes, now I'm boiling and refrigerating the potatoes for several hours before eating them...
    You really need to refrigerate them at least over night or 24 hours. I don't know what to say about your constipation. If it was me, I'd do 2-4TBS of potato starch mixed with yogurt once a day, fermented foods at every meal, some soil based probiotics, and all the other stuff like what Muppet said above.
    Last edited by tatertot; 11-18-2013 at 09:57 PM.
    Let those who have dyspepsia—and that means a multitude of ills which the American people in their luxurious habits are fast bringing upon themselves—try for a time the potato diet. We have tried it not for months, but a few days at a time—long enough to satisfy us of its good effects. Newspaper article from 1849

Visit my blog: VEGETABLE PHARM

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Read this blog entry today:
    For GI Readers | The HSD

This blogger has been dealing with constipation her whole life and treating it with GAPS for about 20 months, but still completely dependent on magnesium citrate for motility. She tried supplementing butyrate (specifically magnesium-calcium butyrate) and does not need the magnesium citrate at all. I first read about butyrate by some of the pro-RS folks around here. I am now highly encouraged to try supplementing some resistant starch! Potato starch, here I come. I guess I'll start making yogurt again so I have something to mix it into.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Do you do psyllium husk powder or whole?
    Home birthing legal mama. Unschooler. Jewish Intactivist (step away from the foreskin!). Full-term breastfeeder. Kettlebell padawan.

Do you do psyllium husk powder or whole?
    I do Psyllium Husk Powder. Have you ever read any of this blog: Animal Pharm? You'd fit right in!
    Let those who have dyspepsia—and that means a multitude of ills which the American people in their luxurious habits are fast bringing upon themselves—try for a time the potato diet. We have tried it not for months, but a few days at a time—long enough to satisfy us of its good effects. Newspaper article from 1849

Ok, I am rabbit holeing with psyllium seed versus husk. Mark says do the seed powder.... Is that what you are recommending or the husk powder?
    Gotta love nutrition!

Ok, I am rabbit holeing with psyllium seed versus husk. Mark says do the seed powder.... Is that what you are recommending or the husk powder?
    Gotta love nutrition!
    I have been under the impression that all 'psyllium' is actually psyllium husk--and it comes ground or whole.

I found where Mark said this last year:
    Psyllium Fiber

Psyllium fiber comes two different ways, with each having a different effect on your bowels and their movements. Psyllium husk, which is the popular type of pysllium fiber found in most supplements, comes from the exterior of the psyllium seed and is almost entirely insoluble fiber. It bulks up your poop and can help move things along, but it’s pretty much an inert polysaccharide. Your gut bacteria can’t do much with it, let alone your “own” digestive system. If you need to fill a toilet bowl, psyllium husk will do it.

Psyllium seed powder, however, is mostly soluble fiber. That means it’s a prebiotic, fermentable fiber that can feed and support your gut flora and spur the creation of beneficial short chain fatty acids like butyrate. In fact, psyllium seed has been shown to increase butyrate production by 42%, an effect that lasted for two months after treatment.

I’m not a fan of pounding out massive dump after massive dump just because you can. I mean, sure, you don’t want to be stopped up and unable to go when you want to, but there’s nothing inherently good or beneficial about padding your bowel stats and rending your bowel walls with insoluble fiber. Soluble, prebiotic fiber? Via the production of short chain fatty acids, that stuff can actually help reduce colonic inflammation, improve insulin sensitivity, protect against obesity, serve as an energy source for the colon, and possibly even protect against colon cancer. Thus, a case for psyllium seed fiber supplementation can certainly be made.

Verdict: Cautiously Primal, so long as you’re using the seed powder. But I’d rather you get your fermentable fiber in whole food form. Psyllium husk? Not Primal.

Read more: Is Psyllium Husk Primal or Paleo? | Mark's Daily Apple
    When I search for supplements I See psyllium seed husk, husk powder or whole seeds. I don't see 'seed powder'. Have you?

I like the husk powder. It is nearly pure mucilage which has a proven gut health track record. Whole husks are fine, I just think powder is a better value.