Page 31 of 213 FirstFirst ... 2129303132334181131 ... LastLast

Thread: Resistant Starches page 31

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I soak for at least 24 hrs, and used the whey after draining my quark curds for soaking a couple of times (when I have it at the same time as I soak beans). Not sure if it is necessary, but can't hurt. I soak the nuts the same way before dehydrating.

I too think that exclusion of beans is a mistake. Tubers made their way back into the paleo so in all likelihood beans will too.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    I soak for at least 24 hrs, and used the whey after draining my quark curds for soaking a couple of times (when I have it at the same time as I soak beans). Not sure if it is necessary, but can't hurt. I soak the nuts the same way before dehydrating.

I too think that exclusion of beans is a mistake. Tubers made their way back into the paleo so in all likelihood beans will too.
    Whey is probably the best thing to use! I never have any on hand, so never get to use it. Ever heard of beet kvass? They use whey to make that, too. I made some this summer without whey, and it turned out nasty! I need to get into whey, I guess.

I think beans will make a come-back, too. The satiety factor is outstanding and not all that high of a calorie food. The second-meal effect of beans (latent glucose regulation) is pretty amazing:

Paleophil is offline Senior Member

vb66 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    I think that making beans 'bad' was a big mistake for paleo. It's easy to make a case against beans if you look at what's in raw beans or minimally prepared beans, but when beans are properly lacto-fermented, they become a sort of super-food. Great protein and carbs/fiber/resistant starch in good proportions.

Some things I learned recently about proper prep of beans, not sure if we discussed here earlier, but they should be soaked for a miniimum of 12 hours, preferably 24-48. More than 48 not needed. Put a TBS or so of salt in the water at the start, this will inhibit bad bacteria from growing until the lactobaccilus has a chance to get going. Don't rinse the water until the end. If you make a particularly good, bubbly batch--save a couple cups of the water in a jar in the fridge and use to get you next batch going.

The process of soaking beans is just like making sauerkraut or kefir, you are relying on natural lacto-bacteria found on the raw foods to ferment and make huge changes to the structure of the food, ie, breaking down fibers and converting nutrients/vitamins into readily available forms.
    Is it safe to say that canned beans do not undergo the proper preparation process?

Yes, I suspect so. I've seen someone mention that all canned foods are heated at high temps to minimize the risk of botulism and other pathogens. Intensive heat destroys resistant starch and some other nutrients. Some starch reforms as retrograde starch after cooling, but presumably less than beans that are prepared traditionally, such as extensively soaked, then boiled or steamed and allowed to cool and ferment at cool temps for days, such as with pease porridge (aka pease pudding), natto, etc.

"In Scotland it is made in the traditional way and usually eaten with butter, and salt or honey." Pease pudding - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

biko is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vb66 View Post
    Is it safe to say that canned beans do not undergo the proper preparation process?
    I know that, canned they #$^#$%^^ bloat me, fermented, cooked, frozen, cooked they do not.

otzi Guest
    If anybody still cares about RS, here is a new study from July 2013 that pretty much sums up why we need RS: Colorectal Carcinogenesis: A Cellular Response to Sustained Risk Environment

Basically it says that on the SAD, colonocytes feed off glucose and become time-bombs waiting to explode. RS and it's butyrate cause these high-risk cells to commit hari-kari.

"This hypothesis clearly explains the “butyrate paradox” phenomenon which has been observed for many years. In normal healthy large intestine, butyrate is a preferred energy source. However, in the shortage of butyrate, attributed partly by “Western diet”, glucose is substituted as the energy source for survival of these colonocytes. As they evolve to adapt to the new conditions, genetic manipulations are initiated with subsequent loss of function of critical genes and eventual loss of ability to undergo programmed cell death. These cells may therefore be considered as “normal” so that if the initial or healthy environment has been re-introduced, for example, by the presence of higher concentrations of butyrate, they will not be able to adapt rapidly due to their altered genetic make-up. Hence, they will undergo butyrate-induced apoptosis, as seen in many in vitro and animal studies."

biko is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    If anybody still cares about RS
    Can I apply the cooking, freezing, cooking to anything other than potatos and rice?

otzi Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by biko View Post
    Can I apply the cooking, freezing, cooking to anything other than potatos and rice?
    Missed this one! Good catch PPhil. It also works great with beans, but I lived in Holland for 3 years and don't recall ever seeing anyone eating beans there.