Page 27 of 208 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777127 ... LastLast

Thread: Resistant Starches page 27

Paleophil is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    That is a good man in that vid, thanks.

"The mice got nothing!"

That's not nice! You're supposed to give something to the mice in return.

Sticks were rare in some areas in the subArctic in winter, so antlers were apparently also used to dig up the tubers and roots:

"Elder Rachel Riley digging for Eskimo potatoes"

"The [troth] is good only during the winter, when the natives gather it, digging for it under the snow. It is then round and full, juicy and tender. After the thaw it loses its qualities, becomes hard, woody, and tasteless."

Yes, This is why living in the same area for generations was so important--so the information about the local plants and animals could be passed on (and so the people could be with the ancestors). So much has been forgotten. For example, I've seen many moderners claim that potatoes are inedible or even poisonous raw and other nonsense, like that rowan berries are also inedible and poisonous. You have to know which foods to eat, when, how, and how much, that's all. Wild potato and rowan berries are not bad foods, they are very healthy foods. My grandfather ate slices of raw potato his whole life and lived into his eighties. Rowan trees were even considered sacred by the ancestors. It's quite sad that sacred foods became thought of as poisonous. The world has turned upside down. It's not noble savagery, it's not wanting to give up good sense for complex modern foolishness.
    Last edited by Paleophil; 09-23-2013 at 06:16 PM.

FrenchFry is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleophil View Post
    It's quite sad that sacred foods became thought of as poisonous. The world has turned upside down. It's not noble savagery, it's not wanting to give up good sense for complex modern foolishness.
    The Hindus call the current age where things seem all upside down "Kali Yuga". The good news according to them is that this is all a cycle and we will return to a much wiser age eventually

Interesting. On the bright side, we can use the science on resistant starch and the technology of the Internet to relearn past lessons like apparently the health benefits of traditional RS-rich foods, though the science on this is still young and there is some disagreement.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleophil View Post
    Interesting. On the bright side, we can use the science on resistant starch and the technology of the Internet to relearn past lessons like apparently the health benefits of traditional RS-rich foods, though the science on this is still young and there is some disagreement.
    A bit off-topic, and I don't want to babble about that but you can read this fascinating article:
    Myths, Symbols and Mysteries: The end of the Kali Yuga in 2025: Unraveling the mysteries of the Yuga Cycle

Basically: descending phase of Kali Yuga = loss of moral and spiritual values but gain in physical and technical sciences. However, this comes with a near complete loss of ancient wisdom.
    Ascending phase (which according to this guy will slowly unfold starting from now): elevation of moral and spiritual values, re-discovery of lost wisdom, shift in paradigms. The internet and other advanced technologies can actually been seen as catalysts for the coming ascending phase. They will probably be given up eventually as we ascend but being in the bottom of the Kali Yuga, that's the most advanced tools we have to re-ascend again.

Of course, I do not know if any of this is true but it is a really amazing way to look at things.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Heh, I am afraid I have the opposite problem with my taste buds - they find absolutely everything tasty, lol. Liver - yum! Sarines - oh, yes! Green bananas - bring it on! etc. About the only things I do not like are dry figs, bitter melons and olive oil/black olives.

Of course, I do not know if any of this is true but it is a really amazing way to look at things.
    New is well-forgotten old....
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

otzi Guest
    Great article for those interested: Animal Pharm Blog on RS.

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Does homemade rice milk apply with the same starchy standards?

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sakura_girl View Post
    Does homemade rice milk apply with the same starchy standards?
    I'd never given it any thought, but I think it would be a really good source of RS. It's made by cooking, then puree'ing the rice and chilling it down. I'm certain that quite a bit of RS would form when it is chilled.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    I'd never given it any thought, but I think it would be a really good source of RS. It's made by cooking, then puree'ing the rice and chilling it down. I'm certain that quite a bit of RS would form when it is chilled.
    Oh but then, I would try cooled rice pudding!! with whipping cream, vanilla and xylitol Great idea!