Page 175 of 205 FirstFirst ... 75125165173174175176177185 ... LastLast
Results 1,741 to 1,750 of 2044

Thread: Resistant Starches page 175

Nursultan Tuyakbay is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    For last 2-3 weeks, I've been taking 1 capsule of Primal Defense Ultra probiotic with 1 table spoon of PS around midnight before going to sleep. I have lots of gas for some reason. How long does it take to adjust to these probiotics and PS? Should I take more capsules or more PS?

LindyCG is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nursultan Tuyakbay View Post
    For last 2-3 weeks, I've been taking 1 capsule of Primal Defense Ultra probiotic with 1 table spoon of PS around midnight before going to sleep. I have lots of gas for some reason. How long does it take to adjust to these probiotics and PS? Should I take more capsules or more PS?
    I'm not sure how long it should take for gas to go away (I had heartburn not gas). You might want to add in a different brand of probiotic though, if this keeps up - they have different types of probiotics and the one you're taking may not be giving you the bugs you need to stop the gas. The full spectrum seems to be covered by the combo of primal defense, Prescript-Assist, and AOR Probiotic-3. They aren't cheap but you can rotate them so they last a long time.

Keimpe is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    found that they are using the term SuperStarch through licensing with a German company called DFEPharma, the people that hold the trademark and patent for SuperStarch SuperStarch® 200 starch excipient SuperStarch was originally intended to be used in the drug-making industry as a binder in pills, and is sold in 50 pound bags. Read through the info on SuperStarch from DFEPharma and you see it is nothing more than pregelatinized cornstarch, but only partially pregelatined so it contains both RS and regular starch.
    I checked with a DFEPharma representative, but their SuperStarch is NOT the same as UCAN's SuperStarch. They are two entirely different products that just happen to have the same name.

azger is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nursultan Tuyakbay View Post

I had the same issue and was doing the same thing as you 1 capsule and 1 Tablespoon RS. I slowly movedup to the three capsules a day and 4 Tablespoons of PS a day (2 in the morning 2 at night). The Gas stayed and may have gotten worse I saw on another fourm that said stopping for a day or two then starting up again would could help so i did that. Stopped cold one day and picked up back at the 3 and 4 again the following day. Been doing it for a few days now and no gas since then.

No clue why but I and my wife are happy it did!

So try moving up on both if by the time you get to the recommend dosage the gas is there, stop for one day and pick right back up the following and see.

Nursultan Tuyakbay is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for suggestions. I'll try first azger's suggestion to increase and cut back, and if that doesn't work I'll try with 3 probiotics at the same time as LindyCG suggests.

SkyePatridge is offline Junior Member
    Has anyone experienced autoimmune flare ups while taking resistant starch?

I was using 1 tablespoon of green banana flour a day for a week when out of no where my autoimmune arthritis came out of remission. I hadn't changed anything else in my diet and I have been living a 90/10 primal lifestyle previous to the episode. It lasted about 5 days and quickly reminded me why I've embraced ancestral eating. I know Eileen at Phoenix Helix has mentioned issues with RS and her rheumatoid arthritis. Curious to know if anyone else has experienced autoimmunity issues as a result of resistant starch.

tatertot is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyePatridge View Post
    Has anyone experienced autoimmune flare ups while taking resistant starch?

I was using 1 tablespoon of green banana flour a day for a week when out of no where my autoimmune arthritis came out of remission. I hadn't changed anything else in my diet and I have been living a 90/10 primal lifestyle previous to the episode. It lasted about 5 days and quickly reminded me why I've embraced ancestral eating. I know Eileen at Phoenix Helix has mentioned issues with RS and her rheumatoid arthritis. Curious to know if anyone else has experienced autoimmunity issues as a result of resistant starch.
    1TBS of green banana flour per day is not very much RS, like maybe 3-4g. The US average is like 5g/day. But, that said, many who have been very low carb have experienced AI flares, especially of the arthritis flavor.

To me, it indicates a serious gut microbiome imbalance. I'd recommend getting a test of your gut microbes from a functional doctor/naturopath. They can order tests that will check for imbalances in normal microbes as well as overgrowths and yeast/fungi/parasites.

There are two ways to deal with issues like this: Eat in a way that keeps the pathogens or overgrowths un-fed, or, clear up the pathogens and eat to support a healthy immune system and healthy gut flora.
    Let those who have dyspepsia—and that means a multitude of ills which the American people in their luxurious habits are fast bringing upon themselves—try for a time the potato diet. We have tried it not for months, but a few days at a time—long enough to satisfy us of its good effects. Newspaper article from 1849

Visit my blog: VEGETABLE PHARM

SkyePatridge is offline Junior Member
    Thank you tatertot. I appreciate the advice. When you say "clear up the pathogens" are you referring to brief antibiotic use or is there another route?

kmarie is offline Senior Member
    When you say one option is to eat in a way that keeps the pathogens unfed, do you mean the diet variations that tend to make us feel better (symptom wise and/or temporarily) like strict AIP w30 (guilty here), VLC, strict SCD, etc?
    Also, I saw a post on FB giving reasons to ditch the probiotics in favor of fermented foods. I agree, fermented foods are great, but are they enough alone in those who
    already have a bad/unbalanced gut biome? It seems to be the SBO's and RS along w a healthy diet w fermented and prebiotic foods is the way to go!
    K

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

tatertot is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyePatridge View Post
    Thank you tatertot. I appreciate the advice. When you say "clear up the pathogens" are you referring to brief antibiotic use or is there another route?
    Antibiotic use isn't out of the question and may be needed, better to try every available other way first...charcoal, clay, botanicals, etc... This is where a doctor comes in handy, it may be expensive, but it's worth it. You need to know exactly what you are dealing with if you have gut issues. Most regular docs will go straight to antibiotics, Naturopaths will use them only as last resort.

Quote Originally Posted by kmarie View Post
    When you say one option is to eat in a way that keeps the pathogens unfed, do you mean the diet variations that tend to make us feel better (symptom wise and/or temporarily) like strict AIP w30 (guilty here), VLC, strict SCD, etc?
    Also, I saw a post on FB giving reasons to ditch the probiotics in favor of fermented foods. I agree, fermented foods are great, but are they enough alone in those who
    already have a bad/unbalanced gut biome? It seems to be the SBO's and RS along w a healthy diet w fermented and prebiotic foods is the way to go!
    K

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum
    It really does depend on the person. Each gut is going to be different. In an ideal world, fermented foods and fermentable fiber rich foods would be sufficient...it's how we lived for millions of years.
    Let those who have dyspepsia—and that means a multitude of ills which the American people in their luxurious habits are fast bringing upon themselves—try for a time the potato diet. We have tried it not for months, but a few days at a time—long enough to satisfy us of its good effects. Newspaper article from 1849

Visit my blog: VEGETABLE PHARM