Page 171 of 194 FirstFirst ... 71121161169170171172173181 ... LastLast
Results 1,701 to 1,710 of 1937

Thread: Resistant Starches page 171

LindyCG is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobert View Post
    Thanks. I have seen that before, I was wondering if there was more RS to be had by freezing the unripe banana.
    I'm pretty sure freezing only helps create more once you've cooked it - cooking potatoes, bananas, etc., destroyed the type 2 resistant starch and freezing them recreates some of that starch as type 3.

Energy! is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LindyCG View Post
    Actually I read it as saying an unripe banana has between 4.7 and 34g of RS. I'm assuming the greener the better, though there'd be some variation since fruit isn't uniform.
    Right you are, and that makes sense about the ripeness or lack thereof.

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    Now I'm curious to puree a green banana and run it through my ice cream maker--anyone tried it? Hopefully it could be stored without turning into a brick.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Paleophil is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gdot View Post
    I wonder if it has anything to do with changes in intraocular pressure?
    I don't know. The last I was checked, my pressure was better than normal for my age, but that was some years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Melissa12 View Post
    Paleophil, this is my first post. I only decided to post because I wanted you to know that I have the exact same symtoms as you have :

This happens to me too, and is happening more and more. I only started on the RS recently, about six weeks ago, and cannot take more than a couple of teaspoons a week for the moment.
    Thanks for letting me know. I seem to get the best vision improvement so far from mung bean starch, though it's difficult to tell for sure.

This gives me hope. Thank you very much. I had hear of one lady who had the same problem and got cured by taking antifungals.

Also some Italian doctors are having very good results giving high dose curcumin (also an antifungal) to cure recurring uveitis. Cured after two years.
    I use turmeric.

Same thing for me, the left eye has astigmatism and is more affected.
    There do seem to be some interesting similarities amongst the vision improvers, so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by tatertot View Post
    Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong.
    Notes I may point to:
    1) WARNING: beware of chronic very low carb diets, especially ones low in resistant starch and other Paleo/Primal prebiotics
    2) I try to do what works best for me, and often fail. YMMV. Don't imitate me--find what works for you. The only fact I know for certain is that of my ignorance. Iím not prescribing.
    3) It may aid discussion if neither of us tries to speak for the other

gdot is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LindyCG View Post
    I'm pretty sure freezing only helps create more once you've cooked it - cooking potatoes, bananas, etc., destroyed the type 2 resistant starch and freezing them recreates some of that starch as type 3.
    I've also seen vastly different amounts of RS listed between fresh and frozen green peas. I can't find the source at the moment........damnit!

Melissa12 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleophil View Post
    I seem to get the best vision improvement so far from mung bean starch, though it's difficult to tell for sure.
    Thank you for the tip. Could you please direct me to the product you use?
    Have you tried arabinogalactan? I am starting this tomorrow.

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TQP View Post
    Isn't maltodextrin... Msg?
    According to this
    Is Maltodextrin Bad for You? The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly - Fitness for Travel | Fitness for Travel
    no. Maltodextrin is .. maltodextrin. MSG is monosodium glutomate. IS the guy wrong??!!

FrenchFry is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by breadsauce View Post
    According to this
    Is Maltodextrin Bad for You? The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly - Fitness for Travel | Fitness for Travel
    no. Maltodextrin is .. maltodextrin. MSG is monosodium glutomate. IS the guy wrong??!!
    Looks absolutely USELESS in one's diet.

maurile is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by maurile View Post
    What made me think of a possible connection is that type-2 diabetes is the leading cause of blindness in adults, and resistant starch apparently lowers blood sugar levels, which is the opposite of diabetes.
    It looks like there may be something to this.

Glycation-altered proteolysis as a pathobiologic mechanism that links dietary glycemic index, aging, and age-related disease (in nondiabetics) - Uchiki - 2011 - Aging Cell - Wiley Online Library

Natural History of Age-Related Retinal Lesions That Precede AMD in Mice Fed High or Low Glycemic Index Diets

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    Most cells have a mechanism to repel excess blood glucose but nerve and eye cells do not which is why vision and extremity pain serve as a canary in the BG coal mine.

But the damage dealt by high BG is a subtle thing over years so I'd be surprised if noticeable healing took place in a short time even if the BG were suddenly corrected.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list